Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-05-2003, 04:25 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default TextMaker For Everyone!

http://www.softmaker.de/freetmc.htm

Well, maybe not EVERYone, but almost! SoftMaker, creator of the TextMaker word processor for mobile computing, is giving away 5,000 free copies of the desktop version of their software.

"To promote TextMaker, between April 4, 2003 (8 pm GMT) and April 11, 2003 (8 pm GMT), [SoftMaker] will give out 5,000 FREE copies of TextMaker for Windows, the Windows counterpart of TextMaker for Pocket PCs. This is our full-featured, Word-compatible word processor for Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP that reads and writes Microsoft Word files and has all the features that one expects to find in a high-end word processor."

To get your free copy, all you have to do is download it from the SoftMaker site. And, as a special promotion, Pocket PC Thoughts will be giving away three free licenses for the Pocket PC version of TextMaker shortly after April 11. We'll select the winners from our list of registered readers, so make sure you're registered.

I've looked at a couple of beta versions of this software, so I'd be very interested in hearing the impressions of anybody who has had a chance to use the Pocket PC version. Is it REALLY a complete Pocket Word replacement?

Old 04-05-2003, 04:54 AM
Pat Logsdon
Magi

I've had the Pocket PC version for a few months now and I'd say that it's MORE than a complete replacement for Pocket Word. It supports tables, different bullet styles, numbered lists, it will preserve Word formatting and save files in the Word .doc format, supports images, etc., etc. It's really very nice.

I have an Axim, and it was basically unusable until they issued the patch that played nice with the Dell keyboard driver. Now it can keep up with me. I've switched to it and use it as my primary word processor now. I write several pages a day in it, transfer the file to my PC to edit in Word, and save it back to the Axim. Very smooth. If the desktop version of TextMaker is as good as the PPC version, I'll drop Word completely.

Definitely worth the $50 bucks, in my opinion.

Old 04-05-2003, 04:59 AM
Hugh Nano
Intellectual

Yes. This is absolutely a replacement for Pocket Word. It is almost a replacement for desktop Word. The only thing really lacking (besides a few minor feature limitations) is a larger screen for final editing--and, of course, that's hardly TextMaker's problem!

Old 04-05-2003, 05:55 AM
bbarker
Philosopher

I've had it for 3 months. It really is excellent.

Old 04-05-2003, 06:05 AM
yiks
Neophyte

Heh... i thought it was TextMaker for pocket pc that was free.. got me excited for a while.....anyway great program. Couldn't afford it at the moment.

Old 04-05-2003, 06:43 AM
darrylb
Thinker

Woohoo . I was trying to figure out how to purchase the trial version before the 15th when their combo offer runs out. This means I can wait until the trial is over (which suits me better) 8)

This is a great product. I will probably ditch word now (I only have one license and two computers) so I will use textmaker on my computer and word on the other one.

Way to go SoftMaker. To top this off, why not knock $10 off the PPC price and sell en masse :wink:

Old 04-05-2003, 07:06 AM
kfluet
Intellectual
Default Re: TextMaker For Everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
Is it REALLY a complete Pocket Word replacement?
It is AWESOME.

My only complaint is that you can't print from the PocketPC version. As far as I can tell, in order to print something you have to either (1) sync the file to the desktop version and print from there or (2) save in Pocket Word format (losing of all that wonderful formatting) and print with 3rd party PocketPC printing app.

I dunno if lots of people print from PocketPC. Maybe nobody cares?

Old 04-05-2003, 07:26 AM
spursdude
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiks
Heh... i thought it was TextMaker for pocket pc that was free.. got me excited for a while.....anyway great program. Couldn't afford it at the moment.
I thought so too. I'm not going to download it... save it for people who will actually use it. But I am interested in the Pocket PC version...

Old 04-05-2003, 07:57 AM
Charles Pickrell
Intellectual
Default Re: TextMaker For Everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfluet
My only complaint is that you can't print from the PocketPC version.
If you really want printing that supports Word formatting, you could try WesTek's ClearView and HP's mobile printing software. Together these packages allow you to print Word, Excel, PowerPoint and PDF files. It supports Bluetooth too, pretty cool.

Link to HP
www.mobilecomputingsig.com

Old 04-05-2003, 09:33 AM
Weyoun6
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Weyoun6 Send a message via AIM to Weyoun6 Send a message via MSN to Weyoun6 Send a message via Yahoo to Weyoun6

yea! I dont have to pay as much! Finally have a reason to try textmaker.