Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 04-01-2003, 08:37 AM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default eMbedded Visual Tools Goes .NET and Stays Free

It seems as if the Visual Studio .NET team at Microsoft will get some competition from an unexpected party. The eMbedded Visual Tools team, which is responsible for the free mobile application development tools and languages, has put together a new version of their product. The new product is called eMbedded Visual Tools .NET and makes it possible to target the .NET Compact Framework in much the same way as the full Visual Studio .NET can. The new product will be available before summer, according to the press release that goes live later today. Very cool!

Old 04-01-2003, 08:48 AM
Venturello
Intellectual

Very, very cool indeed. This will keep the entry fee for new pocket pc developers very low - with a free alternative available, not a very expensive (or not, if you are a pro) product like Studio. What I hope is that it does not include crippled components like eVB was - IMO, totally useless. (could develop stuff using it very fast, but the outcome not the best... and very limited in what you could do with it)

Nice of MS to do this - can't wait to check it out.

Old 04-01-2003, 08:52 AM
AhuhX
Ponderer

I read a rumour on the MSDN boards if you order the free CD online that they will be giving away a 15% pre-order discount voucher on the new iPaq 2200 model with it! Apparently you need a next gen device to run the tools hence the discount offer. I quote the MS developer on the board...

"...MS fully appreciates the efforts of it's relatively small developer base to counter Palm's huge installed base of applications. As a thank you to our valued Pocket PC developers who have taken so much of their valuable time to develop free applications and have helped grow our user base, we will be offering a next-gen device at a hugley discounted rate to enable the development of next generation .Net applications... the development of the new Wireless Web Service (WWS) enabled applications will require a next generation wireless device running PPC 2003. It won't work on PPC 2002... the first device to be offered will be the iPaq 2200 at 15% discount followed by a new device from Toshiba."

Even better news is that he said the offer will probably extend to international customers also!!! About Time MS!

I can't wait to order my copy!!!

Old 04-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Jafar
Pupil

Now I know that the .NET Compact Framework will not support HPC's anymore. Any idea of the embedded tools will? I don't understand why Microsoft has decided to shaft the HPC product line, but I guess there's a lot of things microsoft does that I don't understand. One last thing. What is up with the "Palm Rulez" crap on the top left?

Jafar

Old 04-01-2003, 11:58 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default April Fool's

With the other April Fool's jokes here, I'm thinking this could be one, too. :-) I can't believe the Visual Studio group would allow this.

Steve

Old 04-01-2003, 12:12 PM
Kevin Daly
Theorist
Default Re: April Fool's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony99CA
With the other April Fool's jokes here, I'm thinking this could be one, too. :-) I can't believe the Visual Studio group would allow this.

Steve
I agree...I notice there's no link

Old 04-01-2003, 12:26 PM
FredMurphy
Thinker

I was wondering if it was an April Fool too. :? Not impossible though - just a bit unlikely.

How come nobody had done a Photoshop mock-up of a "new" PDA - that's the sort of quality I've come to expect from Pocket PC Thoughts.

Faked an Ananova news article for my website saying Google had just bought us for �16m and all 3000 of our registered members were getting a �500 'Thank you' from us. :twisted: Oooh - I'm just SO cruel!

Old 04-01-2003, 12:48 PM
Venturello
Intellectual

Please please please let this not be an April's fools!!! Pleeeeeeeeaseeeeeeee this is CRUEL!!!!!

(when this was posted, there was no Palm Rulez title, right?)

Old 04-01-2003, 12:54 PM
antoni
Pupil

Well, one day or another developing .NET applications will have a cost. I'm sure Microsoft has it all planned.

Old 04-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Shadowcat
Intellectual

The Palm Rulez! is funny. This .NET article is most definately part of the April Fools jokes :devilboy:.

If only it were true.....:soapbox:
Microsoft, are you listening? Yeah right :roll:.