Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-25-2003, 01:00 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default The Ultimate Field Guide

http://www.ultimatefieldguide.com

If you've ever spent time on safari (and that's the old fashioned one, not the Web browser by Apple), you know how hard it can be to track or even recognize wildlife. I know, sometimes you get a nice guide that does all the work, but I can tell you that nothing beats finding and identifying an animal all by yourself, and then shooting it. With your camera.

The Ultimate Field Guide can help you do your tracking and identifying. It gives you pictures, silhouettes, tracking information, descriptions, behaviors, habits, etc. In short everything you need next to your common sense to identify animals and their tracks. The price is $19.95 for the downloadable version, for which you get a PC version, a Microsoft Reader version for your Pocket PC, an HTML version and four African wildlife screen savers.

Old 03-25-2003, 01:53 PM
snowlion
Ponderer

need a guide to identify an elephant? :wink:

like to submit this tidbit of elephant bahavior for the authors.

"raised trunk and extended ears is sign of aggression...shut down pocketpc and run like hell!"

Old 03-25-2003, 02:31 PM
seeker
Ponderer

Such an electronic Field Guide for North America would be a useful way to take advantage of the capabilities (sight and sound) of our PocketPC in the field.

Let us hope that there is/will be a version for the less exotic parts of the world.

8O

Old 03-25-2003, 02:35 PM
Martin I Pettinger
Intellectual
Default Bird Watching Guide?

Hi

Having a bird watchers guide complete with sound clips of the bird song would be neat. I have seen CD-Roms that do this for full blown PC's but there kinda hard to lug around the woods and the commotion would frighten all the nice song birds away. Good use of PocketPC - would like to see the idea extended to other pursuits.

Martin

Old 03-25-2003, 02:36 PM
Peter Foot
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker
Such an electronic Field Guide for North America would be a useful way to take advantage of the capabilities (sight and sound) of our PocketPC in the field.

Let us hope that there is/will be a version for the less exotic parts of the world.

8O
You can use it in less exotic parts of the world, but only in Zoos :lol:

Old 03-25-2003, 02:41 PM
seeker
Ponderer

Of course you are correct!

I just know from experience that when you are involved in nature hikes in the North American Forests, plains, lakes, rivers and mountain areas, such an identification program would be extremely educational and useful.

Just my thought!!!

8O

Old 03-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Peter Foot
Thinker

Quote:
Of course you are correct!

I just know from experience that when you are involved in nature hikes in the North American Forests, plains, lakes, rivers and mountain areas, such an identification program would be extremely educational and useful.

Just my thought!!!

8O
Yeah I know excuse my lame humor ops:

I've actually worked on handheld guides myself, producing a Pocket PC Bird Guide and in the process researched a lot of different handheld guides, they can be much more flexible than taking a book with you!

Old 03-25-2003, 04:57 PM
seeker
Ponderer

Peter Foot,

Thanks for reply.

Did your product have pictures, descriptions, habitat preferences, and bird sounds?

Is the (your) Pocket Bird Guide available? I would be very interested in being able to examine/use it for birds in Western Kentucky..

Thanks for developing useful tools and products for the PocketPC family of handhelds. It is always great to learn of new useful programs and products.....

Old 03-25-2003, 11:34 PM
Peter Foot
Thinker

Quote:
Peter Foot,

Thanks for reply.

Did your product have pictures, descriptions, habitat preferences, and bird sounds?

Is the (your) Pocket Bird Guide available? I would be very interested in being able to examine/use it for birds in Western Kentucky..

Thanks for developing useful tools and products for the PocketPC family of handhelds. It is always great to learn of new useful programs and products.....
Its not been released, there is still ongoing work to develop a multi-purpose engine from the prototype system, which is for UK Birds, it includes pictures, descriptions, audio clips and id and location based searching. It also adds integrated recording capabilities to log what you see. Commercial production of such a system is dependant on a source of raw data to place in the system. There some more detail at :-
http://www.inthehand.com/reference/

Peter

Old 03-26-2003, 12:47 AM
seeker
Ponderer

The product looks very nice.

I hope to hear of its commercial release and its successful use by many many persons.

Thanks for the reply and for sharing.