Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Peter Foot
Thinker
Default Easy Databasing With HanDBase 3.0 Professional

If you are interested in maintaining a database on your Pocket PC, DDH produces this complete Database application. Read on to find out more about this latest version.

HanDBase is a relational database system for both Palm and Pocket PC devices � obviously we are looking at the Pocket PC version here. It uses a proprietary database format which supports encryption and includes an ActiveSync conduit to support synchronisation with desktop Access databases. You can build custom forms to have data entry screens suited to your particular application. There is also a large library of free database templates for a variety of subject matter which you can start using immediately. The Enterprise version of the application adds support for synchronising with ODBC compliant data sources.

Installation
The installation process kept me informed of what was happening throughout the process. At the point when I was prompted to install the software onto my Pocket PC, there was an erroneous entry in the list of devices.

Figure 1: Installation to Device

It was fairly obvious which of these was the real Pocket PC. Along with installing the Desktop and Pocket PC software, the installation also sets up the Sync provider and optional Access import/export options.

Desktop Software
The package features a desktop version of the software. You can use this to build your database structure or import data from other sources from comma separated values (.csv) files or Microsoft Access. The desktop application also includes a separate forms designer, although a forms designer which runs on the device is available in Beta.

Figure 2: HanDBase Desktop Application
The desktop application mirrors the functionality of the Pocket PC version while adding in other features such as additional Import and Export.

Synchronisation
Although the synchronisation program works in conjunction with ActiveSync, it is not totally integrated. Therefore when I wanted to synchronise I could not just click the Sync button from ActiveSync. You must click the "Synchronise HanDBase with Pocket PC" shortcut in the Start Menu, or disconnect and reconnect the device from the cradle. I was surprised there was no button or menu option in the desktop application to begin synchronisation.

Figure 3: Synchronisation

Template Gallery
One of the selling points of HanDBase is that there is a collection of thousands of database templates available at www.ddhsoftware.com so you need not build your database from scratch. A wide variety of topics are covered. For this review I tried out a DVD Database template submitted by Jeff Frankus. There is definitely something for everyone with topics including Delivery Tracking, Food and Drink, Sales and many more. You can search the library by category or keyword and there is even a link from the desktop HanDBase application to jump to the Web site.

Pocket PC Software
The Pocket PC client has a simple List based view which is the starting point for working with your data.

Figure 4: Main Pocket PC Screen

The drop-down box at the top allows you to change the current view. We�ll look at views further on in the article. The File menu gives all the usual file operations, the DBProperties item is where you can view and alter the structure of the database and set views and security options.

The Actions menu allows you move or copy records between different HanDBase files. It also allows you to beam records using Infrared or Print if you have the third-party PrintBoy CE or PrintPocketCE printer libraries.

New Records

Figure 5: New Record

The new document button on the menu bar is used to create a new record, opening the form ready for data entry. The forms can be built using the standalone Desktop Forms editor or the Beta Pocket PC forms editor.

Reports
Run Report allows you to generate statistical reports based on a specified field. There aren't many records in the sample I've used here but as you can see it is easy to determine the minimum, maximum and average values.

Figure 6: Reports

I found an issue which could be confusing, HanDBase only supports reports on numerical, date/time or checkbox fields - which is fair enough. However the complete list of fields is displayed. Accidentally clicking Title (which is a text field) brings up an error message. This would be more intuitive if only valid fields were listed on the Run Report screen.

Security
HanDBase supports password-based access, either to the entire file, or just to perform specific actions> For example, you can require a password when editing or adding records and allow free access for viewing. You can even lock out the DB Properties feature, so users have full use of the program but can�t change the database setup in any way without the password. The database can be encrypted - either specific fields or the entire database.

Views
You can sort or Filter the data in a variety of ways. When you have defined these Views they will appear in a drop down box on the main screen.

Figure 7: Customising Views

Each View defines which Fields are displayed, up to 6 Filters and 3 Sort Orders. As mentioned earlier you can quickly switch views using the drop down box on the top right of the main screen. Views are a very powerful way of navigating through a large database or providing complex filtering and searching.

Customising Forms

Figure 8: Forms Designer

HanDBase installs a Forms designer onto the desktop although an optional beta forms design tool is available for the Pocket PC. The forms designer is a standalone application from HanDBase itself. After opening a database file you are presented with a list of forms, along with the option of creating a new one. I decided to create a new form for the DVD database I�ve used above. You start off with a blank rectangle, the form you design here is used on either Palm, Pocket PC or Desktop applications simply by scaling up the form to fit the screen size. You can decide if the form is default for adding new records or editing existing data, or both. When you set up the form name you have a number of preset options for the title � you can display the form name, or "Record X of Y" to give an indication of your position within the data.

Figure 9: Custom Forms on the Pocket PC

I noticed that the basic form I had created on the PC suffered from a few alignment issues on the device which would require some tweaking. The Title field overlapped the Label. This is a nuisance but can be fixed by allowing more space in the forms editor. The moral of the story is not to place items too close together to allow for the scaling up which is applied to the co-ordinates of the items.

Gotchas
As already stated I had a minor issue with installing onto the device, though I put this down to my own hardware setup. Also as previously stated, a forms designer which runs on the device is still in beta although is available free to all HanDBase 3.0 users. Because the forms UI is designed to be applicable to both Pocket PC and Palm OS clients, some of the look and feel is slightly different to what you expect from a drop-down box on Pocket PC. The fact that the forms designer is a separate application can be annoying, but I guess the logic behind this is that you don't need the forms design capability for day-to-day interaction with the database.

Where to buy
HanDBase 3.0 Professional can be downloaded from Handango or purchased for $39.99 (affiliate link). The full HanDBase family is also available from DDH Software�s Web site and there are four versions available:-
  • HanDBase for Pocket PC $24.99
  • HanDBase Plus for $29.99 which adds the two-way Synchronisation feature
  • HanDBase Professional (as reviewed here) for $39.99 which adds the forms designer and Access synchronisation and synchronisation support for multiple users.
  • HanDBase Enterprise for $99.99 which has all the features of the Professional version except features ODBC synchronisation allowing you to synchronise with any ODBC compliant database in your Enterprise.
Specifications
  • 700-750 Kb of available Storage Memory
  • Pocket PC 2000 or higher
  • Windows 95, 98, ME, NT 4.51, 2000 or XP with 4MB of hard-disk space on the desktop PC
Conclusion
HanDBase is an easy to use tool for keeping data on your Pocket PC. You don�t need programming experience to setup a database and enter your data, the ability to define custom forms means you can really make your database just what you need. You can also apply sorting and filtering views to your records. Some of the user interface has been designed to apply to both Pocket PC and Palm platforms, which means for example drop down boxes don�t look or behave quite like you would expect. That said, this is of great benefit to a scenario where both Palm and Pocket PC clients can be supported from the same database.

Old 04-15-2003, 05:17 PM
Deslock
Thinker
Default How Does It Compare to SprintDBPro

I've been playing with SprintDBPro for the last couple days... it's pretty powerful (has SQL and VBA-like macro abilities) and being able to build the DB on the PPC itself is a nice feature that occasionally comes in handy.

On the other hand, SprintDBPro doesn't have a desktop component, so you *have* to create everything on the PPC, which can be time-consuming. As far as I can tell, it doesn't work with the PPC's clipboard, which is very annoying (for example, you can't copy and paste SQL from a query to a form control, or copy macro-code from a form to a control). On a side note I find it ironic that people are wondering whether or not you can copy and paste on a Palm in the "Is Palm Easier? Magazine Article" thread when I can't always do it on a PPC.

Anyway, back to this topic... SprtinDBPro is also missing table relationships and a TimeStamp fieldtype.

I am planning on installing the HandBase trial, but am wondering if anyone has comments on HandBase vs SprintDBPro or on what I've written above.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2003, 05:30 PM
dazz
Theorist

Deslock,

I think that once you have tried HanDBase out you will like it quite a bit. I have tried a bunch of other DB apps for PocketPC that are more like Access and they require a fair bit of work to get things just right.

With HanDBase you can crash out a DB with relational capabilities VERY quickly and it will run faster than any other DB program I have used on PocketPC.

Of course, you may miss the thrill of creating SQL queries... :wink:

Darren
DDH Software Inc.

Old 04-15-2003, 05:44 PM
Jordan Rosenwald
Ponderer
Default Re: How Does It Compare to SprintDBPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock
On the other hand, SprintDBPro doesn't have a desktop component, so you *have* to create everything on the PPC, which can be time-consuming. As far as I can tell, it doesn't work with the PPC's clipboard, which is very annoying (for example, you can't copy and paste SQL from a query to a form control, or copy macro-code from a form to a control). On a side note I find it ironic that people are wondering whether or not you can copy and paste on a Palm in the "Is Palm Easier? Magazine Article" thread when I can't always do it on a PPC.

Anyway, back to this topic... SprtinDBPro is also missing table relationships and a TimeStamp fieldtype.

I am planning on installing the HandBase trial, but am wondering if anyone has comments on HandBase vs SprintDBPro or on what I've written above.
Been a relatively long time user of SprintDB and have to say I agree with the lack of desktop component being a little annoying.
However, the clipboard issue is not PPC's fault. Is is a limitation of the application. Interestingly you can get around it. Bring up the on-screen keyboard and do a good old ctrl-c (or x), ctrl-v. Not sure why it works that way, but I actually contacted Kaione Soft. about it some time ago.

Timestamps can be done programatically. There's no need to devote an field type to it. And relationships are done through SQL in queries. Is there something relationship you're trying to do that doesn't seem to work?
My general opinion (I used Handbase for years on the Palm, though my favorite still remains ThinkDB), is that Handbase is great for simple to intermediately complex databases. For really powerful databases, I can really see where SprintDB will shine.

I'm surprised that you didn't mention my chief complaint with SprintDB (not actually their fault, its a limitation of the portable database file)... Forms are contained in separate file.... hate that.

Old 04-15-2003, 06:44 PM
GadgetMan
Intellectual

Does anyone remeber when HanDBase 3.0 was released? If I recall, it was in July 2002. Do you remember that DDH Software was advertising Pro version as containing form designer, which turned out to be false?

Well, nine months later I am still waiting for DDH Software to deliver the product I paid them for - Form Designer component for Pocket PC. And I do not mean some half cooked beta, buf final version.

I am really disappointed because of this. This is no way to treat paying customers.

Cheers,

Old 04-15-2003, 07:02 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I have played with HanDBase and I use SprintDB. The drawback of SprintDB not having a desktop component is in how you look at it. The Desktop componenet is Access, a program I already have DBs in.

My thought was always that I, as a DB user, would tend to have databases on my desktop, in some format or another. Most typically for a Windows user that format is Access. Active Sync provides an Access conduit (limited though it is, but that is another beef). Why should I deal with another desktop DB and another sync conduit.

I design my SprintDB forms and apps 'on the desktop' using Pocket Controller.

I think I would like the option of using some of the HDB apps that have been developed and are available on their site, I just can't get past it not using Access/.cdb. To me it would be like Textmaker on the PPC not using Word on the PC, but having an independent word processor format.

That's just me though, I'm sure there are lots of folks that Access integration isn't that important to.

Old 04-15-2003, 07:18 PM
dazz
Theorist

Gadgetman,

Actually HanDBase Pro for PocketPC has always had the Desktop version of the Forms Designer. With the release of HanDBase 3.0 DDH software introduced a LOT of new features and they have been working hard to stay on top of the development projects that has created.

DDH has been concentrating on making sure HanDBase is stable and as such the PPC Forms Designer has become a secondary project. I know they are close to release and the current Beta is almost exactly the final version and has been available since last year.

DDH is more focussed on customers than almost any software company around and they are working hard to make sure HanDBase is highly useful. I will pass on your concerns to make sure they are addressed.

Darren
DDH Software

Old 04-15-2003, 07:26 PM
huangzhinong
Philosopher
Default Handbase is good, but SprintDB is more powerful

Yes, handbase is handy, I Like it very much. But in other words, it is only a simple small program, the function is very limited, it works like listpro. In strict definition, it can't be regarded as a database program. Please don't get me wrong, I still think this program is good. This program was targeted at Palm OS, so it still keep Palm Zen.(K.I.S.S).

SprintDB is much more powerful, which support SQL and other programable function. Of course for most users who never use access at all, SprintDB is not their type.

Old 04-15-2003, 07:41 PM
GadgetMan
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazz
Actually HanDBase Pro for PocketPC has always had the Desktop version of the Forms Designer.
Not the Pocket PC versions before 3.0. In any case the HanDBase Pro was advertised by DDH as having Forms Designer for BOTH desktop AND Pocket PC.

Quote:
DDH has been concentrating on making sure HanDBase is stable and as such the PPC Forms Designer has become a secondary project.
The advertised NEW feature of HanDBase Pro 3.0 for Pocket PC - Forms Designer module for Pocket PC has not been delivered to date. Yet, DDH Software did not hesitate to advertise as if it was already included (can you spell "false advertising"?) and charged Pro customers up front for this feature (incl. in the higher purchase price of Pro version) and then not delivering. This is a very questionable business practice.

Quote:
I will pass on your concerns to make sure they are addressed.
You are kidding right? Acting as if it was a new concern brought up by an isolated client? Your company advertised a feature, and charged for it. That feature has so far not been delivered. I do not care in the least how many problems you created for yourself releasing this product (that, by the way, was one of the most buggy Pocket PC applications I have ever used. Took you 10 releases to make it more or less stable). You lied to your customers and you charged your customers for a feature that is not there. Maybe DDH Software needs a class action suit to wake up and stand up to their legal responsibilities!

Old 04-15-2003, 07:50 PM
dbman
Ponderer

I am a long time HanDBase user and I purchased each version from Hand base from the basic to the Pro version. Even on the Palm, where this software originated, the form designer is fairly primitive and a major pain to use. Item alignment and selection tools are non-existent. You can not select more than one item at a time and it is all too easy to put items behind other items where you can not select them using the stylus. There is no nudge feature so fine adjustments are just out of the question. Finally, the designer is not truly WYSIWYG so the run time form has different buttons and layouts from the designer.

Even the PC components of Hand Base are showing their age! The database portion of the desktop software is fairly crude by Windows standards, but it is functional and stable. The form designer, on the other hand, is just as primitive as its PDA counterpart. Given the power of modern computers, one would expect a desktop form designer to offer snap-to grids, multiple item selection, grouping and group movement as well as a zoomed workspace. Unfortunately, the desktop form designer has none of these! After trying to align items on a form using either version of the designer, I usually get so frustrated I quit and forget the idea of using a form.

Despite these problems, I stay with Hand Base because it is a relational database that works. On the bright side, DDH offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, but buy the pro version only if you have the patience of a saint!.