Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-24-2003, 09:00 AM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default VITO ButtonMapper

http://www.vito-tech.com/products/?prod_id=17

If you want to do more with the hardware buttons on your Pocket PC, you might want to check out VITO ButtonMapper. It enables you to assign 2 actions to each button, where the mapping can be linked to an application. It also gives you stylus tap emulation, and macros for stylus tap. You can download a free 14-day trial from the linked page.

Old 03-24-2003, 12:02 PM
l0o5er
Ponderer

I've been using (the now mis-named) Double Launcher for over a year now & couldn't live without it. The latest version allows you to assign up to 4 applications per button using press, double-press, press-n-hold & double-press-n-hold (or triple-press). I strongly recommend it & the developer behind it Freeman is a great guy & very responsive to queries or suggestions for improvement.

In regard to VITO ButtonMapper I'm interested in the application-level button mapping. I presume this means that buttons can be mapped globally & also over-ridden "locally" by a user-defined application. Is that how it works? If so, it sounds like a cunning stunt. Can an existing user confirm this & tell me whether it works well.

Also what is "stylus tap emulation". Can someone who has tried this app out tell me more.

regards

Mitch Olson

Old 03-24-2003, 12:53 PM
mscdex
Sage

Anyone know if this program will work with keyboards, namely the Targus Stowaway?

Old 03-24-2003, 01:00 PM
paris
Intellectual

i have used it for the trial period, but i expected more. They have failed to make it work with the H5450 volume buttons even thought there are other aplications out there that are able to map the 5450 buttons to scrolling and the like.

If the ever manage to map the 5450 volume buttons correctly i will buy the product.

Old 03-24-2003, 01:05 PM
blusparkles
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to blusparkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0o5er
In regard to VITO ButtonMapper I'm interested in the application-level button mapping. I presume this means that buttons can be mapped globally & also over-ridden "locally" by a user-defined application. Is that how it works? If so, it sounds like a cunning stunt. Can an existing user confirm this & tell me whether it works well.
Yes, you've pretty much summed it up - that's exactly how it works. And it works well indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0o5er
Also what is "stylus tap emulation". Can someone who has tried this app out tell me more.
I've written a review on this program, which includes details on how the stylus tap emulation works. In short it works reasonably well, though I think the implementation needs a bit of work (particularly for the macros). Basically instead of tapping on the screen, you can map a hardware button to that tap, which you "record" using a fairly easy process. Useful for application level button mapping. The macro feature is more complicated though potentially much more useful and powerful - unfortunately it doesn't work as well it could.

Old 03-24-2003, 04:37 PM
Wojo
Ponderer

Well, tested this on my XDA and I still can't remap or disable the stupid "Volume" button.

Old 03-24-2003, 04:59 PM
rubberdemon
Ponderer

Thanks for saving me time, Wojo - I was going to try it on the XDA and see if I couldn't make that stupid volume button into a record button as it should be. I wonder if the double-tap program mentioned above has any effect on it?

Old 03-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Fzara
Thinker

I was reading on about this app, and it struck me; what if this app could utilize the d-pad "press" with the Axim? 8O

This could be useful, but I honestly don't see how the program could be anything BUT Freeware.

Old 03-24-2003, 07:59 PM
Programmer
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to Programmer Send a message via Yahoo to Programmer

I tried this hoping that it would allow me to full disable the hardware buttons. Nope!

Robert

Old 03-25-2003, 01:30 AM
mscdex
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer
I tried this hoping that it would allow me to full disable the hardware buttons. Nope!

Robert
You can completely disable all hardware buttons in the Buttons configuration in the Settings menu & Personal Tab. This only applies to PPC2k2 devices though, I think.