Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 03-18-2003, 05:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default iPAQ Micro Keyboard with Cover: Pre-Order for $59.95

http://www.mobileplanet.com/private...65304&listing=1

"This remarkably small and lightweight keyboard fits seamlessly and securely to your iPAQ Pocket PC with or without an Expansion Pack attached. Redesigned to include screen cover and for better ergonomics for optimized messaging!"

This keyboard is due to ship April 30th, and it's the first one I've seen to really capture the important parts of the HP keyboard design: a sleek add-on that doesn't make your Pocket PC big and bulky.

Old 03-18-2003, 05:56 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

I want this keyboard soooo badly. It's been pushed back 3 times now. I hope the 4/30 date is a good one this time.

For the heck of it because they are new- 0X :devilboy: :multi: :twak: I'll back away from the emoticon panel slowly now...

Old 03-18-2003, 06:16 PM
powder2000
Thinker

So, from the picture, does the ipaq slide into it like an expansion pack or does it only slide in at the bottom like the other ipaq keyboards? Very well designed by the looks of it.

Old 03-18-2003, 06:22 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder2000
So, from the picture, does the ipaq slide into it like an expansion pack or does it only slide in at the bottom like the other ipaq keyboards? Very well designed by the looks of it.
My guess is that it slides into it like a cover pack. Otherwise, I don't know how the cover issue can be accomplished, unless you're supposed to use your OOB cover. I hope that's not it. I'd like to have a cover that matches the look of the keyboard. I think a smoke cover and a silver keyboard are a major iPaq fashion foul.

Powder- What's the bombproof thing about?

Old 03-18-2003, 06:28 PM
WindWalker
Ponderer

I have to say that is a beautiful thing. Hopefully Dell can take a hint from such a thing.

And....I can't resist the new emoticonssss......aiiiiigh......

:jawdrop: :scatter:

Old 03-18-2003, 07:45 PM
mc_03
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to mc_03

Is it just me, or are there cell phone call/hang up buttons on that keyboard?? 8O

Old 03-18-2003, 08:09 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_03
Is it just me, or are there cell phone call/hang up buttons on that keyboard?? 8O
I asked the same question last month and nobody has chimed in yet, but it sure as heck does look like it. Why else would you have red and green keys on a thumb keyboard? Plus it's compatible with the 54xx series.

Old 03-18-2003, 08:33 PM
Solarix
Ponderer

Two things:
1) Wheres the d-pad?
2) Does it have a backlite?

A thumbkeyboard is only killer if it has some sort of internal lighting so u can see what u r typing in the dark, since "touch-typing" is not an option.

Old 03-18-2003, 08:38 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarix
Two things:
1) Wheres the d-pad?
2) Does it have a backlite?

A thumbkeyboard is only killer if it has some sort of internal lighting so u can see what u r typing in the dark, since "touch-typing" is not an option.
Oh! Those are good ones! I hadn't thought of the backlight issue until I recently looked into the Good G100 which is backlit. Maybe that's the next mod for the aftermarket folks. Add a tiny white LED behind the keyboard.

D-pad seems to be missing from what I can see of the board.

Old 03-18-2003, 08:44 PM
Dave Beauvais
Pontificator

And the biometric fingerprint scanner on the h5400 series? What a pain it would be to have to remove the keyboard everytime you need to swipe a finger.

--Dave