Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default RIM to Offer BlackBerry Connectivity for Microsoft Windows Powered Mobile Devices

"Research In Motion (RIM) today announced plans to enable BlackBerry(TM) connectivity for mobile devices based on the Microsoft Windows Powered Pocket PC and Smartphone platforms. RIM will provide a solution to help mobile device manufacturers and mobile operators easily integrate BlackBerry email and data services into their Pocket PC and Smartphone products."

The article continues with this quote that made me go "Hmm...":

"RIM is committed to enhancing and extending the BlackBerry wireless platform with multi-device and multi-network support," said Jim Balsillie, Chairman and Co-CEO at Research In Motion. "We have worked closely with Microsoft for several years to ensure proper BlackBerry integration with Exchange and are pleased to now expand our relationship to provide BlackBerry connectivity to leading Smartphone and Pocket PC licensees such as HTC."

Now let's ponder that for a second - HTC is a hardware manufacturer, so if RIM is talking to HTC, it must be about something on a hardware level. Are they going to put a pager into their hardware? RIM Blackberry device are pagers on steroids - they do their jobs very well, but they're based on an outdated technology that should be supplanted by GPRS and other wireless technologies...but only if all the pieces are in place on the back-end side of things (Exchange, etc.).

I'm just speculating here, but if HTC slaps a pager receiver onto their ODM devices, what about the software side of things? Will Microsoft update their OS to include support for receiving short pager messages? Or is this just a bunch of PR smoke that is about software, and not hardware? What's your analysis of this?

Old 03-17-2003, 09:59 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

MS buys RIM for the patents and I'm one happy camper? Please!!!

Old 03-17-2003, 10:11 PM
Rob Borek
Intellectual

The newest RIM devices do support GPRS - so it's all software based (well, possibly some minor hardware modifications or radio stack modifications). You're thinking of the old Mobitex/DataTAC devices - which used a (pretty much) proprietary network to deliver e-mail.

Old 03-17-2003, 10:14 PM
bdeli
Thinker
Default Re: RIM to Offer BlackBerry Connectivity for Microsoft Windows Powered Mobile Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
RIM Blackberry device are pagers on steroids - they do their jobs very well, but they're based on an outdated technology that should be supplanted by GPRS and other wireless technologies...but only if all the pieces are in place on the back-end side of things (Exchange, etc.).
The new RIM pagers work on GPRS/CDMA technology, but the new models work on their JAVA OS. I ditched the 6710 I got last November since the OS was way too slow and buggy for my tastes + the 8MB they only included sucked big time. Now they have just released a new model (6210) which seems to have double the memory as other new options.

As for Exchange - they have their server products which integrate themselves into Exchange or Lotus Notes already.

As for MS buying RIM...i do not think so. Rumor has it that maybe RIM will buy the Handspring unit.

Old 03-17-2003, 10:19 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

I don't know about not putting anything into MS buying RIM. It's not like they have a real clean track record of treating "partners" as partners for long.

"Either give up and sell to us or we gut you!" :twisted:

Must get the patents! The precious patents.

Old 03-17-2003, 10:24 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Borek
The newest RIM devices do support GPRS - so it's all software based (well, possibly some minor hardware modifications or radio stack modifications). You're thinking of the old Mobitex/DataTAC devices - which used a (pretty much) proprietary network to deliver e-mail.
Ah, ok - then this starts to make more sense...HTC might add a few chips into their ODM devices and then the Pocket PCs would have RIM abilities from the silicon up.

Now that I ponder this some more, this is a very smart move by RIM - they're trying to get away from selling just a the hardware + software and more into selling the concept and execution...

Old 03-17-2003, 10:25 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Borek
Exactly. It's entirely possible RIM has done some very cool work to leverage GPRS yet keep power consumption down, which is the bane of Pocket PC Phones right now (that is, keeping the unit "awake" to check mail).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Now that I ponder this some more, this is a very smart move by RIM - they're trying to get away from selling just a the hardware + software and more into selling the concept and execution...
It's also their way out from the lawsuits they're under.

--janak

Old 03-17-2003, 10:50 PM
chris234
Pupil

I'm not sure I'd consider pagers "outdated" for a while yet. If there is a carrier that has half the coverage of my Skytel pager I'd be amazed.

Old 03-18-2003, 12:16 AM
Wuss912
Intellectual

according to here http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,109838,00.asp
it looks like it will be a softwere app

Old 03-18-2003, 05:38 AM
Terry
Intellectual

The Blackberry rocks...we have a slew around the office...full-time e-mail (next to full-time), seldom has battery failures, and syncs right (unlike ActiveSync). I still don't have my iPaq fully working with e-mail and AT&T GPRS... :roll:

(and I don't use a Blackberry myself although I'm responsible for putting them out in the workforce)