Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-11-2003, 05:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default US Cell Phone Market Improving

http://news.com.com/2100-1037-99184...tag=fd_nbs_comm

The US cell phone market apparently grew by 10% last year, as opposed to the originally predicted flat growth. There are two interesting points from the article:
  • T-Mobile grew by 2.9 million subscribers, a 40% increase. I wonder how many of those were Pocket PC Phones?
  • Consumers are buying expensive, color-screen phones. In my opinion, this is just following the evolution of laptops and PDAs -- monochrome is a dying breed.
IMHO, this is a good pair of circumstances for smartphones (both Smartphones and PDA phones). In fact, T-Mobile is supposed to be offering a Smartphone later this year.

Old 03-11-2003, 05:16 AM
mar2k
Intellectual

I think MS Smartphones would be a huge hit in the US if vendors would just get them on the market. T-Mobile is all fine and good but the big players like Verizon, Sprint, Cingular, and AT&T are really who I want to see with Smartphones in their lineup.

Old 03-11-2003, 05:38 AM
ThomasC22
Sage
Send a message via MSN to ThomasC22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar2k
I think MS Smartphones would be a huge hit in the US if vendors would just get them on the market. T-Mobile is all fine and good but the big players like Verizon, Sprint, Cingular, and AT&T are really who I want to see with Smartphones in their lineup.
I think T-Mobile is bigger than Cingular and Sprint?

Anyway, I'll be interested to see how Smartphone 2k2 does when things really heat up this year. The U.S. market is not under the thumb of Nokia and S-E like the rest of the world so Microsoft might stand a chance and with contracts with T-Mobile and AT&T they have a good chance.

Old 03-11-2003, 06:04 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC22
No, it's smaller. That's why it's #6. Verizon, AT&T, Cingular, Sprint, and Nextel are the first five. Of course, we might see T-Mo vault into #5 at this rate.

--janak

Old 03-11-2003, 06:13 AM
ThomasC22
Sage
Send a message via MSN to ThomasC22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
No, it's smaller. That's why it's #6. Verizon, AT&T, Cingular, Sprint, and Nextel are the first five. Of course, we might see T-Mo vault into #5 at this rate.
Well, you've just been a wealth of Cell. phone knowledge today

I'm suprised by this but, if California is any indicator, this will change very soon. Nextel and Cingular are both losing fast and everyone and their brother seems to be signing with T-Mobile here (funny to because AT&T has better rates). Also, I'm not sure where I put AT&T and Cingular because they both still have hybrid networks nationwide which IMHO makes them two cell phone companies posing as one.

Old 03-11-2003, 06:25 AM
kidA
Pupil

yeah, cingular doesn't even exist here in Utah. the biggest here seem to be t-mobile and verizon, with at&t and sprint right up there. i'd like to see some smartphones here pretty soon. preferably by at&t.

Old 03-11-2003, 06:27 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
I'm suprised by this but, if California is any indicator, this will change very soon. Nextel and Cingular are both losing fast and everyone and their brother seems to be signing with T-Mobile here (funny to because AT&T has better rates).
Ironically, T-Mo's network in CA is just Cingular's. They've done a sharing agreement where T-Mo can use Cingular's towers in CA, while Cingular can use T-Mo's towers in NY.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure where I put AT&T and Cingular because they both still have hybrid networks nationwide which IMHO makes them two cell phone companies posing as one.
True. But hey, that's how the rankings work. I agree, though, that T-Mo has the largest GSM subscriber base -- for now.

BTW, it's not that I don't like T-Mo or their tech -- I am a T-Mobile customer.

--janak

Old 03-11-2003, 06:30 AM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari
Default Re: US Cell Phone Market Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
I wonder how many of those were Pocket PC Phones?
I work for a master agent of T-Mobile. Basically, we sell the phones to dealers so they can sell them to their customers.

We sell a ton of PPCPE's in Cali, but very few in New York City. I think it depends on the market, but out of all the ones we're in, California is by far the biggest for "non-phone" devices...

Old 03-11-2003, 06:31 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: US Cell Phone Market Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzosi
I work for a master agent of T-Mobile. Basically, we sell the phones to dealers so they can sell them to their customers.
Cool. BTW, I'm pretty sure the PPCPE is not anywhere near T-Mo's volume item. I have yet to see a random person on the street in Manhattan using one... ergo, the winky.

--janak

Old 03-11-2003, 06:54 AM
T-Will
Sage

When I signed up for T-Mobile (8 or so months ago) they had the best deal going, $40 for 1000 anytime minutes, free weekends, and free nationwide long distance. And since I live with 4 other roomates in a house I just use my cell phone as my main phone and never use the house phone.