Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 03-09-2003, 01:12 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default 6GB CompactFlash!?

http://forum.sorobangeeks.com/viewtopic.php?t=1828

Pretec, who seemed to be one-upped by Lexar's 4GB CF announcement, is rumored to be announcing a 6GB card sometime around CeBIT. SorobanGeeks has a picture:

I've got one word if this is true: 8O This might be just a picture of a sticker on a piece of plastic right now, but I'm glad they're not slowing down in pushing size limits.

Old 03-09-2003, 01:19 AM
pocketpcdude1024
Thinker

:shocked!: This is amazing! Of course, I've opted for an SD-only PDA, but ...6GB! This is 48x the capacity of my SD card and I haven't used it all up yet! Bravo, Pretec!

Old 03-09-2003, 02:05 AM
Sheynk
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Sheynk Send a message via MSN to Sheynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketpcdude1024
:shocked!: This is amazing! Of course, I've opted for an SD-only PDA, but ...6GB! This is 48x the capacity of my SD card and I haven't used it all up yet! Bravo, Pretec!
I second that.... wow

2 of those and you got my current HD!

now make a ppc that can play any video @ 35 fps and were set!

Old 03-09-2003, 02:08 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

6GB!!! 8O This is a definitely a W?BIC? device. Then again I have about 30GBs of MP3�s so keep em coming guys.

From time to time I have a dream about going back in time to when the only hard drive based storage was only held by the military on these huge drums the size of telephone polls. (I think at most they held something like a few hundred KB of info.) Walked up to one of the techs that is so proud of their accomplishment and shove a 512MB CF in their face and run off laughing.
The people who were involved in the first hard drives have to feel a mix of pride that they started all this but at the same time utter astonishment at how pathetic those devices were in comparison to recent advancements.

Old 03-09-2003, 02:10 AM
pocketpcdude1024
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1
6GB!!! 8O This is a definitely a W?BIC? device. Then again I have about 30GBs of MP3�s so keep em coming guys.
You need 5 of these then! :lol:

Old 03-09-2003, 02:16 AM
toshtoshtosh
Ponderer

Hard disk size Flash makes me think: Would be nice if there was a way to 'lock' your CF card into your device, so that a random person can't just pull it out when you're not watching.

(unrelated to size of CF maybe, but losing 10GB of data sounds worse than losing 128MB of mp3s).

Old 03-09-2003, 02:29 AM
jdhill
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1
From time to time I have a dream about going back in time to when the only hard drive based storage was only held by the military on these huge drums the size of telephone polls. (I think at most they held something like a few hundred KB of info.) Walked up to one of the techs that is so proud of their accomplishment and shove a 512MB CF in their face and run off laughing.
The people who were involved in the first hard drives have to feel a mix of pride that they started all this but at the same time utter astonishment at how pathetic those devices were in comparison to recent advancements.
Yup, takes me back to about 1970. University of Utah. Univac 1108. FastRand Drum. Punched cards. Line printers.

And now we have all of that room full of computing power in the palm of our hand !!!

Old 03-09-2003, 03:40 AM
pro_worm
Ponderer

Remember every single movie about some amazing futuristic universe in which data was held on a plastic "card"? Remember how amazingly improbable it seemd? Hard to imagine that we are not only approaching that stage - we have completely and totally reached it. You can actually store everything - from several hundred rolls of film worth of photos, to entire discotecs worth of music, to the blueprints for the next Audi, on a card the size of your thumb.
And you can do it today.
Yowsers 8O

Old 03-09-2003, 04:07 AM
Daimaou
Ponderer
Default Re: 6GB CompactFlash!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
I've got one word if this is true: 8O This might be just a picture of a sticker on a piece of plastic right now, but I'm glad they're not slowing down in pushing size limits.
Well I take this Info from Reuters and form here, so must be quite sure

The tapeless MPEG-4 digital camcorder from Pretec in 2003 is another revolutionary product in the industry; with Pretec 6GB CF card, the highest capacity flash memory card in the world, MPEG-4 digital camcorder can store up to 30 hours of movie with VHS TV quality at 30fps.

*Note: Pretec(TM), CompactI/O(TM) are trademarks of Pretec Electronics Corp. All other trademarks mentioned herein are recognized as the property of their respective holders.

Source: BUSINESS WIRE 02/03/2003

Old 03-09-2003, 04:20 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Re: 6GB CompactFlash!?

The important detail was left out. What will the price be? :-D

Steve