Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-05-2003, 11:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Pocket Informant 4 Just Around The Corner

http://www.pocketinformant.com

Pocket Informant 4 will be here in a few hours. There is nothing radically different like 3.0 was versus the 2.x series but instead some very solid improvements on the great 3.x engine. Just a few of the features I've discovered that I like:

� Task grouping by Priority, Progress, Importance, Date and other items. (pictured below)
� Easily create "child" tasks via tap-and-hold
� Tasks can be independently turned on/off in each of the 4 calendar views. This is awesome in Week View for me where tasks were too much clutter. I can leave them on in Month and Agenda view though.
� Template application is very different than in 3.x. It is much better, including a "%s" variable. If you are a 3.x user, be sure you understand how it works now by reading the quick overview available at the Pocket Informant's site before using them.
� Alarm Note view can now view text/typed notes and/or voice notes from the Pocket PC Notes application.
� The fish-eye Month view has been improved to support the joypad, seems to be much faster and other tweaks.
� Colors tab in Options has been greatly simplified. You now pick one color for each of Free, Busy, Tentative and Out of Office and that color is used across all views.
� There is much much more. Those are just some of the biggies.

Pricing is $24.95 (affiliate). Existing 3.x users can upgrade for $12.50 unless you purchased it after December 1, 2002 which would make it free. Pocket PC 2000 and 2002 devices are supported. It should be on the Pocket Informant web site later tonight or early Thursday morning complete with the upgrade link and documentation.

Overall, the app just feels faster and everything seems to have been tweaked to give it a more intuitive feel. All of this power makes Outlook on the desktop look rather pathetic in comparison. Hmmmm... Desktop Informant?

Old 03-05-2003, 11:35 PM
huangzhinong
Philosopher
Default I won't buy it , unless,

I won't buy it , unless,

1. the alert note is as good as bugme.
2. the program loading time is less time 0.5s
3. month view is less than 0.5s.
4. Program is less than 300k.

What i am using now is Jornada 568, h1910 and Dell axim 400Mhz.

Old 03-05-2003, 11:39 PM
Ed Hansberry
Default Re: I won't buy it , unless,

Quote:
Originally Posted by huangzhinong
I won't buy it , unless,
Given the installer is 1.9MB....

Why a 300K limit? The main EXE is 392K but it has a few DLLS, an 83K setting app, etc.

PI is always one of the first 2-3 apps loaded for me after a hard reset. FITALY is first so I can key in the PI reg code without getting lost on that QWERTY keyboard. :wink:

Old 03-05-2003, 11:47 PM
ikesler
Intellectual

I was in one of the Beta groups on this version...... and have to say, it rocks. I have been using PI since the start and it is always running on my device.............
4.0 is a great update and offers quite a bit.............. check it out. I love it.

Old 03-06-2003, 12:00 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Well I'm game. Time for an upgrade methinks.

Old 03-06-2003, 12:05 AM
CTSLICK
Sage
Default Re: I won't buy it , unless,

Quote:
Originally Posted by huangzhinong
I won't buy it , unless,

1. the alert note is as good as bugme.
2. the program loading time is less time 0.5s
3. month view is less than 0.5s.

What i am using now is Jornada 568, h1910 and Dell axim 400Mhz.
Thats the nice part about this...you don't have to buy it. PI gives you a trial period...you could answer all of your concerns in short order.

However, with the memory limitation you have...300k?...it sounds like your not looking for the kind of feature set that PI offers. Even still...give it a try...it won't cost you a dime.

I'm glad to give up a chunk of the paltry 16 MB on my EM-500 for PI

Old 03-06-2003, 12:06 AM
SofaTater
Intellectual

Looks great -- and I purchased after Dec. 1, so it'll be a free upgrade for me (after getting it free via rebates from Handango)...

Old 03-06-2003, 12:16 AM
MPSmith
Thinker

I like PI3, but won't be updating this time. If you're not careful, you can update this program from version 1 to version 2 to version 3 to version 4 and spend over $50 on one piece of software!

I certainly respect the reason they charge for certain upgrades though, because they put a lot of effort into them. Pocket Informant has improved leaps and bounds from its original version and deserves every penny it gets.

Old 03-06-2003, 12:27 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSmith
I like PI3, but won't be updating this time. If you're not careful, you can update this program from version 1 to version 2 to version 3 to version 4 and spend over $50 on one piece of software!

you want to upgrade.... new features are cool.... it is only money.... must have latest....

:wink: :lol:

Seriously, $50 for versions 1-4 over, what? 3 years? $12 a year for this app or any other killer app like it? Yup. In a heartbeat.

Old 03-06-2003, 12:37 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

I agree with Ed - it's fair enough. If this were desktop SW we'd be paying $50 each upgrade, let alone for several full versions. It's worth it, you know it is! :wink: