Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-03-2003, 11:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default WiFi Pay Per Sip Pricing Drops

http://news.com.com/2100-1039-990487.html?tag=fd_top

Starbucks and T-Mobile put WiFi hotspots into Starbucks stores last year, but pricing was nuts. Well, it is a little better, but not much.

"Starting March 1, unlimited access to the wireless networks will cost $30 a month, down from $40. T-Mobile will also slash the price of a "day use pass" to $6, which allows access for 24 hours inside any of about 1,200 wireless Starbucks."

$30 per month? They are still nuts. I pay $49 for my DSL at home, and I live there. Starbucks is about the only place in Tennessee where I can get decent coffee and even then, I probably spend less than two hours inside of one per month. $6/day? Who spends all day in a Starbucks? I'm paying $4 for a cup of coffee. Gimme 15 minutes of free bandwidth for Pete's sake.

Old 03-03-2003, 11:39 PM
bdeli
Thinker

There is a thread which started last week going on here:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...pic.php?t=9405

Old 03-03-2003, 11:42 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeli
There is a thread which started last week going on here:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...pic.php?t=9405
Cool. I didn't see it posted to the news@ppct alias.

Old 03-03-2003, 11:46 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Sorry Ed. I thought I posted it to the alias. Ummm...Your post was better than mine- That make it all better?

Old 03-03-2003, 11:56 PM
fmcpherson
Intellectual

I think there is some confusion over T-mobile's plans, because T-Mobile's web site makes no mention of a $6/24 hr plan. Check:
http://www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/services_plans.htm

The closest thing listed on the plan is a 10 cent per minute pay per use, that has a one hour minimum so that the lowest price you can pay for the service is $6. That, however, is for 1 hour of use, not 24 hours.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:00 AM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcpherson
I think there is some confusion over T-mobile's plans, because T-Mobile's web site makes no mention of a $6/24 hr plan. Check:
http://www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/services_plans.htm

The closest thing listed on the plan is a 10 cent per minute pay per use, that has a one hour minimum so that the lowest price you can pay for the service is $6. That, however, is for 1 hour of use, not 24 hours.
If they were smart they'd just go ahead and offer it up as an all day pass. What are the odds that many would use it past a cup of coffee or 2 anyway? It has more marketing bang for the buck if they just go ahead and call it an all day pass. They'll learn sooner or later.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:07 AM
crispeto
Intellectual

They are crazy if they think I'm going to spend $30 per month on wifi. I only pay $35 for my broadband cable in my home. Our local JavaCrew has wifi for free! Sip my coffee and surf.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:12 AM
rap2792
Neophyte
Default Re: WiFi Pay Per Sip Pricing Drops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
http://news.com.com/2100-1039-990487.html?tag=fd_top

...$30 per month? They are still nuts. I pay $49 for my DSL at home, and I live there. Starbucks is about the only place in Tennessee where I can get decent coffee and even then, I probably spend less than two hours inside of one per month. $6/day? Who spends all day in a Starbucks? I'm paying $4 for a cup of coffee. Gimme 15 minutes of free bandwidth for Pete's sake.
There is a market of traveling business people where $30 a month is not outrageous at all. A good comparison is most major hotels charge $10 a day for high speed access and I will gladly pay (or bill my company) to get some work done. Should my hotel not have access, I use the ubiquitious Starbucks and T-mobile to get high speed. More and more you see people having meetings or salespeople conducting business in Starbucks. There is a market, but I have no idea how large it is...

In a throw back to older "drive-in" days, occassionaly I'll pull up next to a Starbucks for hi speed access and a little privacy to conduct phone calls when on the road...

Old 03-04-2003, 12:16 AM
bbarker
Philosopher

Quote:
WiFi Pay Per Sip Pricing Drops
When I read that I thought "sip" was a wireless metering acronym I hadn't heard. Took me a minute.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:17 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdegroodt
Sorry Ed. I thought I posted it to the alias. Ummm...Your post was better than mine- That make it all better?
No prob. I'll let you in on a dirty secret. I don't read the forum threads. If it isn't on the front page (and I don't have time to read all of those either) or doesn't catch my eye in the "Last 10 posted" billboard on the right, I don't see it.