Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Customizations & Content

Old 03-17-2003, 05:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Laridian's Life Application Commentary Series

In the fall of 2002, Laridian released two new commentaries for their Pocket Bible Product, the Life Application Study Bible and Life Application New Testament Commentary. When I posted about their release back in September, several people asked which one to get if you only wanted to buy one. Well, if you want the long answer to that question, then this dual review is for you.
Laridian makes an excellent program, Pocket Bible, for reading the Bible and has a number of great commentaries that makes the Pocket PC the perfect Bible study platform for people on the go. Two of those commentaries are from Tyndale House Publishers' Life Application series.

The first is the Life Application Bible Study Notes. It has a brief commentary that covers just about every verse in the Bible and includes supplemental study notes.

The second is the Life Application New Testament Commentary. This goes into much more detail than the Life Application Study Bible Notes does but only covers the New Testament. It also has its own additional study materials included.

Because of the unique nature of these products, I'll review each book in its own separate review but will make comparisons to each other where appropriate. I will also compare each to their paper versions you can buy online or at various book retailers. Each link below will open a new browser window.

To read the review of the Life Application Study Bible Notes, click here.
To read the review of the Life Application New Testament Commentary, click here.

Old 03-17-2003, 06:06 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher
Default Thanks!

Thanks for adding another thing to my B-day list! I have been meaning to pick up the Laridian NIV (been making due with Olivetree's ASV). The have Laridian's on CD at my local Christian book store. 80 bucks and you get like almost everything (not sure if you get these, but you might!). This sounds like some interesting reading! One other thing thats related that I thought would be nice....is there anything that will insert either on the Today screen or within your Outlook some dialy scripture readings? I figure if it's on the PPC I will read it!

Old 03-17-2003, 06:12 PM
Ed Hansberry
Default Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkon280
The have Laridian's on CD at my local Christian book store. 80 bucks and you get like almost everything (not sure if you get these, but you might!).
That CD, if I recall correctly, has both of these, Daily Reader, One Year With Jesus reading, NIV and a few other goodies. It would be $120 or so if purchased individually. If I were getting started, that is what I would buy. I've paid the $120 and more by now but it has been spread over 3 years.

Old 03-17-2003, 08:50 PM
baker
Thinker

What store has the CD? Thanks.

Oh, take a look at this: http://dsrtech.net/bibleverses/index.htm

Old 03-17-2003, 08:53 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker
I know http://www.lifewaystores.com/lwstore/ carries it. Might try some of the contact options at http://www.laridian.com/ce/aboutlaridian.asp to see if they sell the CD direct or can give you a list of retailers in your area that may stock it. I'd bet Zondervan book stores would have it too.

Old 03-17-2003, 08:57 PM
baker
Thinker

Man, that was fast Ed. Thanks.

Old 03-17-2003, 09:56 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher
Default Not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker

Oh, take a look at this: http://dsrtech.net/bibleverses/index.htm
I tried it. It just did not work right for me.....I forget what problem I had but I uninstalled it. I have not had real good luck with today screen plugins. Only one I run now is Journal Bar (I LOVE YOU OMEGA ONE! ). Also, you had to maintain the file....I was looking for something that was semi automated. The verse does not necessarily have to be on the Today screen, but maybe a link to it from within Outlook. I guess what I am looking for isn't out yet.

Old 03-17-2003, 10:17 PM
dMores
Philosopher

can someone explain to me how you use this pocket bible?

i mean, i'm a religios person, i go to church, i try to be a "good person", and i live by the 10 commandments (most of the time), but i don't really see a point in having a bible on my pocketpc.

do you read it every day? then you should be through with it twice by now.
or do you ctrl-f for something specific?

don't get me wrong, please, i'm not questioning anyone who uses a pocket bible. just trying to understand what i might be doing wrong

Old 03-17-2003, 10:30 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dMores
can someone explain to me how you use this pocket bible?

i mean, i'm a religios person, i go to church, i try to be a "good person", and i live by the 10 commandments (most of the time), but i don't really see a point in having a bible on my pocketpc.

do you read it every day? then you should be through with it twice by now.
or do you ctrl-f for something specific?

don't get me wrong, please, i'm not questioning anyone who uses a pocket bible. just trying to understand what i might be doing wrong
I do read it daily. I use Daily Reader for that mostly since it has some nice devotionals and keeps track of my progress, but I am also reading I & II Samuel as well. Lots of good lessons in that, as well as the rest.

You have to read it and study it to understand it, not pick up individual verses here and there. If you really want to get a flavor for what you can get out of it, pick up Daily Reader and "Experiencing God's Word" from Laridian's Daily Reader pages. You'll need Pocket Bible and a translation of your choosing for it to work. If you don't want to spend that much money on it, email me and I'll help you track down the paper version that you can use with your paper Bible. (instructions in my sig)

http://www.faithfirst.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/id39.htm has some good info, but you'll have to turn off images or print it out. Knowing about the Bible doesn't mean you know how to do HTML. :wink: Man that page is ugly, but the message is right on target. You have to study to know. :way to go:

Old 03-18-2003, 06:46 AM
blusparkles
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to blusparkles

I currently have Pocket Bible (NIV), Daily Reader, Life Application Study Bible Notes, Experiencing God Day by Day and The Daily Walk. But I haven't really been using them to their true value. A problem with me is finding the right balance - I frequently attribute too much time to things that are urgent and important and urgent and non-important and tend to neglect things that are non-urgent but important.

When I first bought the Daily Reader books, I promised myself that I would read one of the readings every day, which I did for the first couple of weeks .. and then I found myself frequently using the "Catch up" menu option because I'd fallen behind with my readings - until a whole year would pass before I'd do the next reading!

It would be great if there was some sort of today plug-in that linked in to the day's readings, so I could see what the subject of the reading for that day was, and then just tap through to the reading in DailyReader. I suppose I could do some sort of recurring reminder to read my DailyReader readings for that day, but it's not as elegant a solution 8)