Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 03-01-2003, 01:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default A Great Travelling Companion for a Pocket PC

http://www.smartdisk.com/Press%20Re...axAnnounced.asp

"SmartDisk Corporation has introduced its new FlashTrax handheld portable device for offloading and storing digital images and music. FlashTrax is being showcased in Booth H164 at PMA International, The Las Vegas Convention Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, March 2-5, 2003. FlashTrax can safely store high-resolution images transferred from any flash memory card onto the built-in 30GB USB2.0 hard drive and displays them on a 3.5" LCD that outperforms tiny on-camera screens. By using the sleek control pad, the user can change the image, zoom in, zoom out and scroll, or choose a slide show function - all without the need of a PC. The LCD folds to ensure that both the screen and control buttons remain protected while in field use. Images may be viewed on the LCD screen or on any TV using the included remote control. To facilitate portability, FlashTrax also includes a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery.

"FlashTrax brings new freedom to photographers," says Charles Klinker, Director-Marketing for SmartDisk. "The ability to offload images from flash memory cards to the built-in hard drive represents a lower cost alternative to purchasing multiple, expensive flash memory cards." A built-in MP3 player makes this device even more attractive - more than 7,000 compressed audio files can be stored and played back through the built-in speaker, headphones or external speakers. Various play modes are easily controlled from the user-friendly screen display and control pad, making music selection quick and easy."

What an interesting-looking device! Giant 30 GB hard drive, large 3.5" screen, fast USB 2.0 transfer speeds...this looks like an excellent travelling companion for digital photographers. A Pocket PC can do some of these functions, but 30 GB is a lot of space, and this is a nice looking package...all said, $499 isn't too bad of a price either. I've been on more than one vacation without my laptop where I wished I had more storage!

Old 03-01-2003, 01:11 AM
spursdude
Oracle

what about battery life? I imagine it's pretty weak....

But a sweet device overall.

Old 03-01-2003, 01:26 AM
Sheynk
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Sheynk Send a message via MSN to Sheynk

kool device but it looks like a gameboy advance sp

Old 03-01-2003, 01:27 AM
PJE
Thinker
Default Another single function design...

I think to be successful this type of device needs more functionality. Where's the video player, Windows CE applications. etc... I'd prefer the harddrive not to have the display and have a Wi-Fi link to a PDA.

A Nexio s160 style device with the 30GB hard drive (and a faster CPU/BUS) would be my ideal combination.

My 2c

PJE

Old 03-01-2003, 02:14 AM
yunez
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to yunez

you could use this like an ipod..interesting

assuming it has:
-a slick interface for navigating 7000 mp3s
-good sound quality
-good battery life

Old 03-01-2003, 02:34 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Lets hope that there's more of these kind of devices on the way. Actually, lets fit one of those 30Gb HDs to a PPC! 8O Can I have one please? :wink:

Old 03-01-2003, 03:29 AM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed

Nice! A single use device, but well suited for that use.

Old 03-01-2003, 03:58 AM
Thoughtful Guy
Pupil
Default Close...

Cut it by $200 and you'd be right there. At $500 the price is way too close to a basic laptop. I understand that there's a lot of hardware in there but the limited functionality has to have some bearing on the price relative to a full fledged computer.

Old 03-01-2003, 04:33 AM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K

Isn't Microsoft supposed to be releasing the Media2Go platform this year?
Then there will be a whole lot of similar devices that do what people here are wanting: MP3 playback, video playback, etc.
I think the Media2Go devices also include hard drives and are priced in the $300 - $500 range.
Some would say that this conflicts with the Pocket PCs though.

Old 03-01-2003, 05:16 AM
isrjt
Ponderer
Default New Pocket PC

That form factor, sure looks nice. What about throwing on a little larger screen and the CE os on it???