Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 02-28-2003, 01:30 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Pocket PC Captures 26% of Total PDA Market in 2002

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/5278956.htm

Sort of a back door approach to getting this, but this is the first full year 2002 market share data I've seen that would include all markets and all channels.

"Palm's hardware held a 36.8 percent share of the handheld computer market in 2002, according to Gartner Dataquest. Overall, devices running the Palm operating system held 55 percent of the market, compared with 26 percent for Pocket PC."

If I recall correctly, Pocket PC had a one quarter spike of around 28%. Also remember that these numbers only include one month, December, of sales volumes from sub $300 Pocket PCs like the Dell Axim, HP iPAQ 1910 and ViewSonic V35. HP also issued a press release in January that I hadn't seen before. Over 3 million iPAQs have been sold since inception. One million of those were sold in the 9 month April-December timeframe.

Old 02-28-2003, 03:05 AM
heov
Thinker

what about US market? when will that come out? Last i remembered palmsource handhelds held 80%.... not sure though.... Not bad for PPC in the total market though... but is it just me or do i remember people claiming it's gonna take over soon after it's launch... it's been close to 3 full years PPC has been out... Oh well It's too bad they count the zire as a palm because that was the best selling pda during christmas time...

Old 02-28-2003, 03:44 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by heov
what about US market? when will that come out? Last i remembered palmsource handhelds held 80%.... not sure though
LOL! That was 1999 at best. Palm and PalmOS hasn't seen 80% in years. The last detailed numbers I have were for Q3 of 2002 - see http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...pic.php?t=4394

Old 02-28-2003, 03:51 AM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

I think PalmOS held somewhere around 70% US, with PPC holding around 20%. The remainder was held by "Other" platforms.

Old 02-28-2003, 03:56 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
I think PalmOS held somewhere around 70% US, with PPC holding around 20%. The remainder was held by "Other" platforms.
Q3 Palm+Sony was 58% excluding handspring, so 58.5% with Handspring? :wink:

I suspect PalmOS got a Q4 boost with the Zire in volume, but I've still no doubt that PPC is generating more top line $$$. I really want to see some solid Axim and h1910 numbers.

Old 02-28-2003, 03:56 AM
heov
Thinker

doh! you're right... i went back to the BH article and see it was 73% of US enterprise... my bad
http://www.brighthand.com/article/Pa..._Market_Shares

Anyway, according to this article, in May 2k2, PalmOS dominated 87% of the market? http://www.brighthand.com/article/Palm_OS_is_hot_again
That's seems a bit too high even a year ago...

Anyway, i looked through some research and it seems like Palm Inc (not sony, etc) is only about 40% now...

UPDATE: doh... i found that 80% number i was talking about... looks like it was only the monthly sales or something (first link)... palm powered pdas were 80% of all pda's sold during the month of december 2k2 or something... i'm not too good with numbers, as you can see

Anyway, it seems like PPC is really going forward.... I think if the OEMs keep pushing these lower end, lower priced handhelds, they can keep going. They need to hold out on the high end for a while (even if we geeks don't want them too) and dominate the lowend market... and then move upwards... imo

Old 02-28-2003, 04:12 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by heov
doh! you're right... i went back to the BH article and see it was 73% of US enterprise... my bad
http://www.brighthand.com/article/Pa..._Market_Shares

Anyway, according to this article, in May 2k2, PalmOS dominated 87% of the market? http://www.brighthand.com/article/Palm_OS_is_hot_again
That's seems a bit too high even a year ago...

Anyway, i looked through some research and it seems like Palm Inc (not sony, etc) is only about 40% now...

UPDATE: doh... i found that 80% number i was talking about... looks like it was only the monthly sales or something (first link)... palm powered pdas were 80% of all pda's sold during the month of december 2k2 or something... i'm not too good with numbers, as you can see

Anyway, it seems like PPC is really going forward.... I think if the OEMs keep pushing these lower end, lower priced handhelds, they can keep going. They need to hold out on the high end for a while (even if we geeks don't want them too) and dominate the lowend market... and then move upwards... imo
Be careful reading any report that references NPD Intellect. Those are 100% retail and ignore sales via wholesalers or direct from the OEM, like HP or Toshiba. Those are big channels for the enterprise.

NPD only tracks store like CompUSA and BestBuy.

Old 02-28-2003, 04:31 AM
Cracknell
Ponderer

Strangely enough Palm Inc never quotes Gartner anymore since late 2001, they used to do it religiously with quarterly Press release. In fact they repudiate Gartner straight out recently. You can still compile their PR prop from their database.

Now they claim NPD is the only accurate market measure because Gartner uses manufacturer self reporting, while NPD track retail shelf.

The dirty little secret is, they can win NPD number hands down because Zire sells in grocery and superstores isles, while majority of PPC are still sold through specialty electronic stores or online.

I am willing to bet they will stop quoting marketshare data altogether once they hit below 50% in quarterly marketshare report. And they will cite quality of their unit and brand recognition as a strength then marketshare data. Their PR dept. is pretty predictable.

Old 02-28-2003, 08:40 AM
gfunkmagic
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to gfunkmagic

Quote:
I suspect PalmOS got a Q4 boost with the Zire in volume, but I've still no doubt that PPC is generating more top line $$$. I really want to see some solid Axim and h1910 numbers.
You know I would like to point out that PalmSource gets the same amount of royalty fee from a Zire or NZ90! I would, however, like to see some definitive data on OEM profit margins covering various platforms?

Old 02-28-2003, 08:46 AM
Cracknell
Ponderer

Isn't Palmsource owned by Palm Inc and still a private subsidiary? I don't think Palmsource licensing fee to Palm Inc. is a public accounting data, so I would be very curious to see how you know that fact.