Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 02-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default $2,300 iPAQ 3900 Key Tool In Military Information Network

http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,47023|5,00.html

"The central component of the Pentagon's new war-fighting doctrine isn't a weapon at all, but an information network. The military wants to tie together every scrap of incoming intelligence to create a comprehensive picture of the battlefield that can be shared by different military branches or combat units in real time."

They use a Pocket-Sized Forward Entry Device (PFED) which consists mainly of an iPAQ 3900 and what a appears to be a sleeve of some sort. The 3900 series is really a solid device and the sleeve system, bulky by today's standards, is so versatile I can see HP wanting to keep it around for a few more years yet.

Old 02-27-2003, 02:24 PM
vincentsiaw
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to vincentsiaw Send a message via MSN to vincentsiaw

Wow it is the most expensive i know out of the door man!

Old 02-27-2003, 02:51 PM
Paragon
Magi

Wow! They could have bought Dell's for what?........about $1800.00 with the standard military discount. All taxes, and kickbacks included

Dave

Old 02-27-2003, 02:51 PM
MultiMatt
Intellectual
Default Wireless IP setup

I have heard that they have some sort of Wireless IP Router setup, where they launch a bunch of "ball-shaped" devices into a battlefield. Then it creates a network that everyone can connect to, either via iPAQ's of any other device they are using!
There are apparently so may of the little balls scattered about, if a few of the balls get destroyed, it's no big deal.

Anyone heard about this or have more info on it? It certainly sounds cool!

Matt

Old 02-27-2003, 02:53 PM
Venturello
Intellectual

Ever heard that joke (for me, it is not...) about government spending? $10,000 toilet seats, etc?

Well, this seems to be an example. Unless this sleeve has Wifi, GSM, GPS and who knows what other battle information and communication systems, besides an extra battery, there's no other way to justify this value.

Maybe turns an iPaq into a laser gun? Star Trek tricorder? Radar? Infrared scanning of enemy troops? :roll: :twisted:

Old 02-27-2003, 03:14 PM
jmbneaf
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturello
Ever heard that joke (for me, it is not...) about government spending? $10,000 toilet seats, etc?

Well, this seems to be an example. Unless this sleeve has Wifi, GSM, GPS and who knows what other battle information and communication systems, besides an extra battery, there's no other way to justify this value.
Yeah and your commercial Ipaq can sustain MIL-STD specs too? Get real, MIL-STD-810E is no walk in the park to meet. Look at the specs on this thing!!

- immersion to 1m of water
- -4F to 131F operational
- operational at 15000 ft
- MIL-STD-461D (EMI/RFI emmissions) which no standard PDA will meet.

BS - the cost is real and actually a bargain as military grade computers go.

Also, US Military doesn't take to kindly to PC's not functioning on the battlefield - so I am sure that this thing is not your mother's Ipaq.

JB

Old 02-27-2003, 03:19 PM
Skoobouy
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Skoobouy

Shoot, why keep it hand-held? Make tank-sleeves! The iPaq could act like a key to turn it on, and transfer the info. Jet-figher sleeves! Heck, drill-seargent sleeves! Make everything a sleeve, and pop iPaqs into them to turn them on, make them talk to each other, identify the owner, etc. Neat stuff.

Old 02-27-2003, 03:27 PM
JvanEkris
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbneaf
Yeah and your commercial Ipaq can sustain MIL-STD specs too? Get real, MIL-STD-810E is no walk in the park to meet. Look at the specs on this thing!!

- immersion to 1m of water
- -4F to 131F operational
- operational at 15000 ft
- MIL-STD-461D (EMI/RFI emmissions) which no standard PDA will meet.
MIL also demands a droptest from several meters 8O , this is cool stuff, when can we buy it at an army dump

Old 02-27-2003, 03:30 PM
mike6024
Ponderer

There are several different Pocket PCs being used by the military now. As far as I know, they are all ruggedized/repackaged versions of one or another Ipaq, which is how they make it up to mil spec. I work for a gov't contractor and our project will be used on a ruggedized 3975, cause it needs bluetooth as well. I'll have to ask around about these "ball" things though.

Old 02-27-2003, 03:53 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbneaf
Also, US Military doesn't take to kindly to PC's not functioning on the battlefield - so I am sure that this thing is not your mother's Ipaq.

JB
No doubt. This would be a REAL mission critical piece of hardware. RE:Not your Mother's Ipaq- I actually read a bit more about this device in the WSJ (They've been running a series on the "new soldier" over the last couple of weeks.) and the more accurate description of this device as it relates the the 3970 is that it uses SOME of the parts of the 3970. It's not a 3970 that's been ruggadized. In fact, I'd be surprised if much more than the main circuit board was left untouched. I'd really be surprised if it still had an MS OS on it. I think it's safe to say this thing isn't much of a kissing cousin to the original 3970.