Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-22-2003, 08:51 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default How Many Monitors Do You Use?

Foo Fighter's recent thread on computer setups was a huge success. One common facet was the popular use of multiple monitors. Nowadays, Windows makes it quite easy to do so, and new video cards even have multiple ports, so you don't have to put in a secondary PCI card.

So, how many monitors do you use? I use 1, but that's because I have a high-res LCD (e.g., 1600x1200). Poll time!

(Note: I'm asking how many monitors you use on one PC, not the aggregate sum of monitors across all of your computers. If you use multiple machines, feel free to pick any one of them--I'd pick the one with the most. As always, click the Discuss link if you want to see results without voting.)

Old 02-22-2003, 09:34 PM
GSibble
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to GSibble
Default My setup

I LOVE having two monitors. Whenever I'm coding, editing graphics, or working in excel or on a paper, having two monitors makes a huge difference. I'm almost twice as productive.
And Janak, using 1600x1200 is not an excuse to only have one! Both of mine are running at 1600x1200 making my desktop space 3200x1200. I will admit, even on the most senstive setting, it still takes me several minutes to move my mouse from one end of a screen to the other, but its so worth it.

Old 02-22-2003, 09:53 PM
yawanag
Thinker
Default Monitors

I wanna meet the guy using between 20-36,853. Forget the mouses, mice? he uses. I wanna see his eyeballs! 8O

Old 02-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Kaber
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Kaber

I said two monitors, but I guess I actually use 2 computers at the same time. This is so I can play Counter-Strike/Battlefield 1942 while "working".

Sorry Janak, I rang in early.

Old 02-22-2003, 10:15 PM
suhit
Ponderer
Default surprised

I am actually sort of surprised to see that most people have one monitor (currently the leader in the poll). From the pictures in computer setups thread, a LOT of people seemed to have a dual monitor setup :roll:. Weird!

Suhit

Old 02-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Fitch
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Fitch Send a message via AIM to Fitch

I had two monitors for awhile. I was using it to read tutorials on one screen while I worked on the other. But after a while, it got to be just useless. I turned the second one off and haven't missed it.

Old 02-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Re: surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhit
.. From the pictures in computer setups thread, a LOT of people seemed to have a dual monitor setup :roll:.
I guess the people who post pics in that thread will be the ones with something to show off. :wink:

Old 02-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Steven Cedrone
Default Re: surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhit
I am actually sort of surprised to see that most people have one monitor (currently the leader in the poll). From the pictures in computer setups thread, a LOT of people seemed to have a dual monitor setup :roll:. Weird!

Suhit
Not too wierd: 260 people out of our 7,600+ registered users have posted to that thread (some more than once)...

I would tend to agree with what PDA Gerbil said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA Gerbil
I guess the people who post pics in that thread will be the ones with something to show off. :wink:
Damn, I need more "stuff"!!! :lol:

Steve

Old 02-22-2003, 11:50 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

There are 7 people so far in the 20 + range. I was under the impression that Windows couldn't handle more then 10 monitors. :?: Maybe they are counting how many monitors are in their home?

At any rate my perfect setup would be a 21" CRT in the center, 2x 17" flat panels on each side, and an external projector that can do 1024 x 768 for movie watching. Alas lacking desk space and some serious cash it�s going to be a while before I can get that setup.

So many toys so little cash...

Old 02-23-2003, 12:28 AM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

I'm waiting until I can afford an LCD and then I'm going dual... I have a nice 15" CRT, and I want to supplement that with an LCD. I've used Dual Monitors in the past, and it's truly productivity-enhancing. It's quite fun.