Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 02-22-2003, 08:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Orange SPV, Take Two

http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/3108.html

Orange is readying a successor to the current Orange SPV Microsoft Smartphone 2002, tentatively name the SPVx.

"Orange said its research indicates that the average user of the current SPV model is either a mobile business worker or early adopter, with a high use of e-mail and synchronization with their PC. With the addition of the SPV successor, Orange aims to widen the SPV portfolio to target consumers more directly, with a focus on games, music and entertainment services."

Old 02-22-2003, 08:11 AM
ppcsurfr
Philosopher

This exact Smartphone is now available in the Philippines and SMART Communications has already released the devices in small numbers to the public.

This Smartphone (Tanager) handles better than the older SPV as it has a Joystick and a button layout quite similar to that of the Sony-Ericsson T68i.

"[14 February 2003/ MANILA] � The Philippines� leading mobile operator SMART Communications Inc. (SMART) announced today the introduction of the �Smart Amazing Phone� � the first Microsoft Windows Powered Smartphone in Asia that promises to open the door to a world of advanced wireless and mobile internet services"

http://www.smart.com.ph/News/news_corp.asp?Id=285

Old 02-22-2003, 08:23 AM
mar2k
Intellectual

While I like the idea of MS Smartphones, it looks like Outlook sync leaves much to be desired - no real category management. Tasks are just listed and apparently you can't even display more than the Task subject and if it is too long it just lops it off if it won't fit on the screen - what is that all about? :? I use Tasks a lot during the day and reading newsgroups and seeing that was very discouraging.

Maybe Smartphone 2003 will fix these deficiencies? I can only hope.

Since MS has already stated that future versions of Pocket PC OS and Smartphone OS will have .NET compact framework built in, and Visual Studio.NET 2003 (April release scheduled) will have the "Smart Device Extensions" built in and their intent is for VS.NET 2003 to be the sole platform for development, wouldn't April be the ideal time to announce Pocket PC 2003 and Smartphone 2003?

Old 02-22-2003, 03:31 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

As close as this is for a MSFT device that's ideal for my life, I don't get the missing keyboard thing. Especially since Orange's own research shows that the typical user is one "with a high use of e-mail." Surely there's at least one manufaturer that can use the SPV form factor and slap a keyboard into the device.

Old 02-22-2003, 05:01 PM
MR_E
Pupil

Quote:
Surely there's at least one manufaturer that can use the SPV form factor and slap a keyboard into the device
A matter of time, I guess. I read somewhere (probably on http://www.modaco.com/smartphone/, which has a lot of information on the SPV) that the connector is the same as on recent iPaqs, but that it's wired differently. It shouldn't be too hard to modify an existing iPaq accessory.
I assume that once sufficient numbers of the SPV have been sold, one or more keyboards will come available.

Old 02-22-2003, 05:18 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_E
Quote:
Surely there's at least one manufaturer that can use the SPV form factor and slap a keyboard into the device
A matter of time, I guess. I read somewhere (probably on http://www.modaco.com/smartphone/, which has a lot of information on the SPV) that the connector is the same as on recent iPaqs, but that it's wired differently. It shouldn't be too hard to modify an existing iPaq accessory.
I assume that once sufficient numbers of the SPV have been sold, one or more keyboards will come available.
Oh yeah...It has to be integrated into the unit. No strap on stuff.

Old 02-22-2003, 06:24 PM
David McNamee
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar2k
Since MS has already stated that future versions of Pocket PC OS and Smartphone OS will have .NET compact framework built in, and Visual Studio.NET 2003 (April release scheduled) will have the "Smart Device Extensions" built in and their intent is for VS.NET 2003 to be the sole platform for development, wouldn't April be the ideal time to announce Pocket PC 2003 and Smartphone 2003?
VS.NET 2003 does not support the Smartphone. I'm told that it will be updated "soon after its release" to add Smartphone support. No telling when that will actually be, though.

So, no, April might not be the ideal time to announce the next revisions of PPC and SP. Especially if they want major marketing attention on them. They'll have to slip it in sometime between - or after - the launches of Visual Studio .NET 2003, Windows Server 2003, Office 2003, Exchange Server 2003, a couple of other server product updates, SPOT, and an update to Windows XP Media Center Edition. Right now, I'd say it's anybody's guess when the next revisions will be announced.

My guess, though, is that we'll learn something from the Mobility Developer Conference.

Old 02-22-2003, 07:49 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdegroodt
As close as this is for a MSFT device that's ideal for my life, I don't get the missing keyboard thing.
It does have a keyboard - it's the phone buttons. T9 is actually quite decent.

I don't think it's physically possible to cram QWERTY keyboard onto a phone and have it remain a phone - how on earth would that work?

Old 02-22-2003, 08:35 PM
David C
Intellectual

What would be really good is if someone tells www.pocketop.net to make a driver for the smartphones. I'd go with an IR keyboard if I have a SPV.

Old 02-22-2003, 09:56 PM
mar2k
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McNamee
VS.NET 2003 does not support the Smartphone. I'm told that it will be updated "soon after its release" to add Smartphone support. No telling when that will actually be, though.

So, no, April might not be the ideal time to announce the next revisions of PPC and SP.
Oh, well, so much for my cautious optimism. Does the same apply for Pocket PC? Will VS.net 2003 support Pocket PC out of the box or will that happen after its release as well.