Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 02-22-2003, 06:10 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default Want to Write Gooder?

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&platformId=2&productType=2&catalog=0&sectionId=0&productId=20657

If you do ANY kind of writing, either casually or for work, and ever find yourself searching for just the right words to express yourself, you should check out the latest update of Lextionary.

"Lextionary is a dictionary and thesaurus of the English language with features and information that are far superior to a normal dictionary. Instead of just having words organized alphabetically, Lextionary also organizes words by their semantic meaning. A normal dictionary only gives the definition of a word, but Lextionary starts with a definition and gives a multitude of links to others words."

Other features include:

� ClearType technology for ease in reading
� 138,880 entries, all with definitions or sample usage.
� Over 250,000 links between words.
� Phonetic pronunciations.
� Over 1.4 million words in a 7.1 mb database.

The latest update also includes more powerful search features and some helpful layout enhancements. The update is free to current users. You can also download a free demo or purchase the full version for $12.99 (a limited time reduced price).

Even though this version is kind of a minor update, I'm posting about it because this is one of the applications I use nearly every day. Its searches are surprisingly fast and its huge database has helped me write very much gooder on many, many occasions.

Old 02-22-2003, 07:41 AM
Merlion
Ponderer

You can also go to www.lextionary.com to search for words Lextionary-style. Lextionary.com isn't anywhere as good as Lextionary the program though.

BTW, this 2002 PocketPC Award Winner for Best Dictionary is currently on sale for only $12.99 at Lextionary's website now. Those planning to buy it should get it soon as the offer is only for a limited time! You can download the trial version for a spin.

Old 02-22-2003, 07:57 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I *love* this app - it always gets installed on my Pocket PC in short order. Very handy to have around, even just for looking up words that you encounter but haven't heard before...

Old 02-22-2003, 09:42 AM
Mark R Penn
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Mark R Penn Send a message via AIM to Mark R Penn Send a message via MSN to Mark R Penn Send a message via Yahoo to Mark R Penn

Looks great, but how well does it cope with the difference between English English, and American English (color, colour etc)? I could see no reference to that on the site.

I may just buy it if it can take account of that.

Mark

Old 02-22-2003, 11:33 AM
Rirath
Pontificator

I was lucky enough to win this back in the new years contests. I absolutely love dictionary programs and use them daily, but surprisingly I've got little use from Lextionary. I mostly use it for light spell checking since I already consider my vocabulary well above par. Still, it's great to have around. I would certainly suggest buying it at $13.00. Perhaps you folks that use it daily could suggest some good uses?

By the way, if you work with Japanese at all you might want to check out the freeware JWPce. It's a Japanese wordprocessor with a full english <-> Japanese dictionary and Kanji lookup. One can never have too many dictionaries.

Old 02-22-2003, 01:14 PM
BugDude10
Theorist

Brad, Brad, Brad... the irony... In reviewing a language program, you've got the headline all screwed up!

It should be "Want to Write More Gooder"!

Old 02-22-2003, 05:30 PM
FedUp
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rirath
...but surprisingly I've got little use from Lextionary. I mostly use it for light spell checking since I already consider my vocabulary well above par...
Geez, Rirath, you've got some pretty big cahonies, don't you? Isn't this the giveaway you had to actually enter in order to win? Even though there's a demo available, you couldn't tell before entering that this program wasn't up to your "high" standards? So, somebody who really wanted the program was denied because of your selfishness.

And trust me, your vocabulary is not well above par (very little about your attitude is). So please, either use the program or give the registration up to somebody who wants it.

Old 02-22-2003, 05:50 PM
shawnc
Pontificator

Well my vocabulary is definitely NOT above the standards of this fine application. Out of all the programs I have loaded, this is the one that gets the most use. It is so much easier than lugging around a dictionary and MUCH better for word look-up than the freebe from microsoft. What I didn't realize was how effective it is as a thesarus.

I great app at $19.99. A must-have app at $13.

Old 02-22-2003, 05:56 PM
T-Will
Sage

Yeah, I had to do a double-take on the headline. LOL!

Old 02-22-2003, 05:56 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor

I bought Lextionary a year or two ago and have seen it go through a number of updates. The author fixed everything I didn't like about the initial release (no copy/paste, no spell check) and fixed other bugs as well as adding some other features like the pronunciations. Besides useing it to look up works it also makes a great spell checker. Even on my old e125 the searches are almost instant! I forget how much it was when I bought it but it's one of the programs I use the most and well worth more than the current sale price of $13.00!!!