Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 02-21-2003, 02:56 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default 1GB CompactFlash Card -- $199.99 After $50 Mail-In Rebate

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/det...asp?dpno=133437

"Looking to pay less for quality memory? GVP has simplified your search. Save time and money by selecting GVP memory! All flash memory cards sold through our GVP program are manufactured by reputable, long-standing companies that use quality components. When you order a GVP flash memory card, you will not receive a product with the GVP brand name. You will instead receive the branded product of the manufacturer that GVP has determined to be it's greatest value. When you buy a GVP flash memory card, we guarantee you a Great Value Product!"

Old 02-21-2003, 04:03 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Guys what is the quality of these no name memory brands? I mean generally aren't they all made at the same plant just branded diff? Or am I mistaken?

Value is a great thing but I get twitchy when a product's price gets too low. It almost suggests, to me, that they _COULD_ be cutting corners somewhere to get that price down. Any thoughts or am I looking a gift horse in the mouth?

Old 02-21-2003, 05:12 AM
Gremmie
Philosopher

Ya, they are typically come from a few plants. Usually store branded memory (Best Buy, CompUSA) is either PNY or Lexar. Everything, including the boxing, is the same, just different memory.

I would tend to agree about being iffy on such a deal, but seeing that other brand names have had cheap 1GB CF, I think that the technology has become cheaper without cutting corners.

Old 02-21-2003, 05:55 AM
sweetpete
Intellectual

keep in mind that they say they will ship a branded product. they don't mention what brands, but they say they all carry 5 yr warranties from the manufacturer.

at this price i think it is too good to pass up.

Old 02-21-2003, 06:02 AM
cyj
Ponderer

There was some discussion a week or two ago when SanDisk dropped the price on their 1 gb CF card and a lot of people were referring to this site:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/

In general, I probably agree that CF cards are going to be pretty sturdy, long-lasting, etc. I don't claim to understand the technical side of the question but after looking at the above site, I think I would prefer not to get a SanDisk but instead one of the other brands with better write/performance stats.

If ecost.com would tell us some of the manufacturers I might bite, but since they don't I would prefer to wait until I know what I'm buying.

Old 02-21-2003, 07:00 AM
stevemac
Neophyte
Send a message via ICQ to stevemac

What sort of access rate do you get on it tho??

It would take a while to fill it with music or such.

Old 02-21-2003, 08:24 AM
StarkAZ75
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to StarkAZ75 Send a message via AIM to StarkAZ75 Send a message via MSN to StarkAZ75 Send a message via Yahoo to StarkAZ75
Default "off Brand" memory

I've got an "off brand" 128 MB CF card that I bought at Fry's Electronics about a year and a half ago, and I've never had any problems with it. I've run 20fps videos at 64kbps audio from it with no distortion from my Axim. I've even accidently left this card in my pants and put it in the washer, and it still works fine. It was in the little plastic box that they all come in. So, I'd tend to think that for the most part, price is the major factor when I buy cards.

Old 02-21-2003, 08:44 AM
sweetpete
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyj
There was some discussion a week or two ago when SanDisk dropped the price on their 1 gb CF card and a lot of people were referring to this site:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/

In general, I probably agree that CF cards are going to be pretty sturdy, long-lasting, etc. I don't claim to understand the technical side of the question but after looking at the above site, I think I would prefer not to get a SanDisk but instead one of the other brands with better write/performance stats.

If ecost.com would tell us some of the manufacturers I might bite, but since they don't I would prefer to wait until I know what I'm buying.
cyj,

just like any memory and technology, cf cards do have different speeds and qualities. i think if you are wanting a multi-use card for use with digicams as well as ppc's then you're better off purchasing the x rated media (i.e. lexar)to get maximum performance , but for most ppc users, i think this is a great deal.

Old 02-21-2003, 09:31 AM
3xistenz
Pupil

Would have to agree with Pete there. If I'm not wrong, you won't notice to difference in terms of read/write performance of your CF on your PDA unless you are using it in your digicam.

Old 02-21-2003, 01:11 PM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker

This is the huge breakthrough price, I have been waiting for. At 1 gig for $100, a person can store the 25+ CDs worth of music that would allow me a real selection of my own music in my own pocket all the time.

But, guess who was lied to by Sony and has a lame 128 meg memory stick?! :x

This tempts me to get my mono IPaq out and carry it just as a music player. I was considering a Sony MiniDisc, but that purchase is definitely not happening after what Sony did to me with the Memory Stick.

I don't often say anything like this: "This makes me wish I was one of you lucky PPC owners."