Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-20-2003, 12:15 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Upcoming US Smartphone

http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?area=...tory=1045665038

Arne seems to have the scoop on the first Smartphone 2002 unit hitting the US.

"According to a red e spokesman here on the 3GSM Congress, the SC1100 will be available commercially during the next 3 months in the US! Developers can order a pre-production device during next week! Isn�t this amazing folks, seems you will get into touch pretty soon with a great device. This Smartphone was last year the TI/Microsoft/Orange reference platform and I really like the size of the phone, even if it has an external antenna which might be a con. However, the keys are what I expect on a mobile phone, large enough with enough space to press every key pretty easy."

It's based on the Compal reference design, which is a little bigger than the HTC/Orange SPV. I've seen it, though, and it's still a really nice, compact little unit. Arne has comparison photos, and more info on the provider that's bringing this Smartphone is here.

Old 02-20-2003, 12:44 AM
brntcrsp
Thinker

Here's me not holding my breath.

But, I must say that there are more and more murmurings of a Smartphone release. And I definitely like this form of the smartphone.

Old 02-20-2003, 12:47 AM
Sheynk
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Sheynk Send a message via MSN to Sheynk

saaaweeeeeeeeeeet

Old 02-20-2003, 12:56 AM
Mike Wagstaff
Intellectual

It's certainly not much of a looker, but it's interesting that Arne says that he would "would exchange [his] Orange SPV with the Compal/red e SC1100!"... so it's got be doing something right.

In terms of ergonomics, it definitely looks better than the SPV. I sometimes wonder if the SPV's designers were deliberately trying to make the keys and joypad as hard to use as possible... :roll:

Old 02-20-2003, 01:00 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

I just can't get excited about the Smartphone. I got to play around with one at our local Pocket PC user group the last 2 meetings. The interface, IMHO, seems sluggish and slow to navigate esp since there is NO touch screen interface.

Am I the only one that thinks that the more functionality you add into a device that more you should have a touch interface. *shrugs* Guess that's the price you pay for such a small device.

Old 02-20-2003, 01:20 AM
jizmo
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1
I just can't get excited about the Smartphone. I got to play around with one at our local Pocket PC user group the last 2 meetings.
Same thing here, they seem very uninteresting to me. I don't know if things would be different if I didn't own a PocketPC, but at the moment I just can't get excited about these ms smartphones.

/jizmo

Old 02-20-2003, 03:02 AM
Mike Wagstaff
Intellectual

I'm lucky enough to have both an O2 xda (Pocket PC Phone Edition) and an Orange SPV (SmartPhone). The xda goes everywhere with me, the SPV tends to sit at home.

For me, there's no comparison. The xda can do so much more, it's far more responsive, and its increased screen resolution and stylus input means that web browsing and email checking is pleasant, not painful.

However, having said all that, the xda's relative bulk and fragility is only just tolerable compared to the smaller and far more rugged SPV. But I guess that's the price I have to pay for wanting a superior device at my disposal.

Old 02-20-2003, 03:19 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Am I the only one that thinks that the more functionality you add into a device that more you should have a touch interface. *shrugs* Guess that's the price you pay for such a small device.
You're not the ONLY one, but I think the Smartphone team did the right thing in focusing on the one-handed scenario. If you have a touch-screen, you're going to end up needing to use the device with two hands, which to me, is a failure. A phone should be a one-handed device in almost every case...

Old 02-20-2003, 03:46 AM
kennyg
Intellectual

Quote:
I just can't get excited about the Smartphone. I got to play around with one at our local Pocket PC user group the last 2 meetings. The interface, IMHO, seems sluggish and slow to navigate esp since there is NO touch screen interface.

Yes, that was my phone you were playing with and at the last meeting I brought one with an updated ROM image that greatly improved the speed of the device. Just remember that this is a 1.0 version OS and you have to expect some of this. I've also heard rumors of Smartphone 2003 within a very short period of time, but I can't confirm this...

Old 02-20-2003, 05:40 AM
ThomasC22
Sage
Send a message via MSN to ThomasC22

The reason I was given for not having a touch screen was that it allowed them to use a sturdier plastic for the screen so it wasn't as easy to break.

Given that scenario, I have to agree with the Smartphone team, I don't really want to baby my Phone like I do my PocketPC.