Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 02-18-2003, 10:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Upgrading the Pocket PC Operating System

I've seen this question pop up dozens of times already, so it's time for a front page post. Whenever hints of the "next big thing" from the Pocket PC team start showing up, the question invariably becomes "I just bought a Pocket PC, can I upgrade it to the next OS?"

The answer is simple: since all Pocket PC 2002 devices have Flash ROM, yes, it's technically possible for you to load a brand new OS in there. However, if you've been in the technology industry for any length of time, you know that "technically possible" doesn't always mean it will get done.

When the Pocket PC team finishes up an operating system, they hand it off to the OEMs. The OEMs then build that OS into their new devices. At that point, each OEM also has a critical choice: do they decide to do the work needed to sell the OS to their customers who own older devices? Work they need to do includes tweaking the OS build for hardware compatibility and performance, drivers, manufacturing the CDs, setting up the distribution and sales channels, and testing their devices.

Each OEM has to decide whether or not it's worth the investment to do this. That's the harsh reality: some OEMs may decide that they'd rather sell new hardware, and they won't offer an upgrade. Other OEMs will feel keeping their customers happy is important, and they'll offer the upgrade. Microsoft can't mandate this - we "belong" to the OEM, not Microsoft.

So there you have it. Until the next Pocket PC OS is formally announced, and the OEMs formally announce their plan (or lack thereof) for upgrades, there are no firm answers.

Old 02-18-2003, 10:34 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

To all my fellow forum denizens: please refer people to this post whenever the question comes up in the forums (because you know it will). Thank you!

Old 02-18-2003, 10:38 PM
BTS
Intellectual

I certainly understand that viewpoint BUT you have to wonder what that is going to do to sales over the next couple of months. Personally, I was prepared to shell out the $$ for a new Dell (it's a great little machine!). If If I can't upgrade it, though, then the problem I have is whether to buy now or wait 4 months and buy then. I thought Microsoft mandated the flash ROM for this very reason - if we wanted to upgrade then we could.

I know in the tech sector it's hard to make predictions but just this once I wish I had the crystal ball... :?

Old 02-18-2003, 10:40 PM
Bob Anderson
Thinker

I think it's safe to point out, that even if your OEM decides to offer an upgrade, you may or may not get "everything" a new PocketPC would have on it.

Case in point was the iPaq upgrade issue.. most early iPaqs only had 16MB of ROM... not enough to handle the 24 MB PPC 2002 operating system. So they cut out key features, like messenger, windows media player, et. al., and we had to load those apps, via later downloads, to RAM.

I'm not complaining... at least I could upgrade something , but upgrades, as always, don't seem to make everyone happy all of the time.

For those of you that have seen many of my previous posts, maybe now you'll understand that when on the subject of upgrades, I always recommend people buy current pocket PCs with 48 MB ROM, because Dell, Compaq and others didn't do this just for the fun of it... they probably know something most people don't :wink: Now just cross your fingers that those OEMs will give you a **chance** to upgrade!

Buy what you want and need and face the reality that no matter how much you spend today, tomorrow your investment will be worth less. It's just how technology works. If that bothers you, sit on your wallet until something new comes out; realizing again, that within days that too will be "old."[/i][/b]

Old 02-18-2003, 10:44 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTS
I certainly understand that viewpoint BUT you have to wonder what that is going to do to sales over the next couple of months
Why? What makes you think it is coming out that soon, or not? That is another reality of technology - no matter what you buy, it is outdated because something new, be it a new OS, new apps, new hardware, whatever will be out in the next month or so.

I personally really hope HP continues to support the existing iPAQs going forward. I am 100% happy with my 3970 and would love to get another 1-2 years out of it with an upgrade to the next PPC OS, be it in the next few months, this fall or in 04.

Old 02-18-2003, 10:49 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

I for one am getting nervous about whether anybody is going to be supporting upgrades....Everyone "in the know" seems to be downplaying their availability and saying the same thing "well you know it's obsolete when you buy it....". I for one think you will see support from HP with their high end 3970 and 5400 series but nothing below... but I could be wrong....

Old 02-18-2003, 10:53 PM
paulv
Pupil
Default My poor Jornada

What really worries me is whether HP/Compaq will decide to bother building a Jornada version of Pocket Windows 2003. Any thoughts? Will the new OS even fit in 24MB ROM?

My Pocket PC is only a year and bit old. I think that I really should be able to run at least a couple of OS revisions before needing to upgrade.

Old 02-18-2003, 10:54 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy1980
I for one am getting nervous about whether anybody is going to be supporting upgrades....Everyone "in the know" seems to be downplaying their availability and saying the same thing "well you know it's obsolete when you buy it....". I for one think you will see support from HP with their high end 3970 and 5400 series but nothing below... but I could be wrong....
The problem is no current devices support the neural transmitter interface. Whoops... did I type that out loud? [del][del][del][del][del][del][del][del][del][del]. :lol:

Old 02-18-2003, 10:54 PM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTS
I certainly understand that viewpoint BUT you have to wonder what that is going to do to sales over the next couple of months.
Ah! Now the importance of NDAs begins to surface. If someone was to unofficially announce the date of a release it would make a mess of things wouldn't it. Things seem to work better when they go acording to plan. Announce it too early and it's even messier.

Dave

Old 02-18-2003, 11:06 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry

The problem is no current devices support the neural transmitter interface. Whoops... did I type that out loud? [del][del][del][del][del][del][del][del][del][del]. :lol:
No but my shiny new Clie does with HDTV support to boot!... and thats why Palm is better :roll: :lol: :lol: