Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-18-2003, 09:08 AM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Microsoft Wireless News from 3GSM

http://www.microsoftmobilitypress.com/vpr2003/press_releases.asp

3GSM World Congress in Cannes, France, is an important industry event at which many important announcements are made. This year seems to be no exception. Here is a summary of Microsoft related announcements made so far:

Microsoft and T-Mobile Further Develop Their Co-operation (Word document)
T-Mobile plans to be first operator to deploy Pocket MSN in Europe. T-Mobile announces summer release of Windows Powered Smartphone.
Microsoft and Intel Unveil Windows Powered Smartphone Concept Design
First handset based on Companies� concept design now in production
Microsoft Mobile2Market to Be Implemented First by Orange (Word document)
Orange SA and Handango Inc. announced that Orange will be the first mobile operator to distribute mobile applications through the Microsoft� Mobile2Market (M2M) program.
Microsoft and Samsung Reveal Windows Powered Pocket PC
Companies continue to deliver on strategic alliance with unveiling of stylish and powerful new GSM/GPRS Pocket PC with integrated camera

Follow the links to read the entire press releases. Phone Scoop has additional information. In summary, Microsoft and partners announces one new Smartphone and one new Pocket PC Phone Edition, both with integrated cameras. More news and details are bound to follow shortly.

(Images from Phone Scoop)

Old 02-18-2003, 01:26 PM
isrjt
Ponderer
Default pics

why can I not find any pics of that smart phone anywhere. Is that the real reference, or just a mock up?

Old 02-18-2003, 02:24 PM
vetteguy
Ponderer

I just can't fathom why Microsoft is spending so much time and effort promoting Smartphones while at the same time spending so much time and effort making sure that no one here will ever be able to buy one. Microsoft usually isn't one for vaporware, but in this case they might be starting a new precedent. I mean, if you're going to make these devices available, then by all means have conferences and news releases etc. to promote them. However, if you're going to drag your feet as much as they (and their Smartphone partners) have then what's the point? After a while, people lose interest. In the time since they've first announce that Smartphones were "here", I've gone through THREE different cell phones! And that's with having each of them for a good long time! I don't care about this anymore and have given up, but if it's not going to happen then they should just let it die. It just annoys me, sorry if I sound like someone crapped in my cereal this morning.

Old 02-18-2003, 02:29 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteguy
I just can't fathom why Microsoft is spending so much time and effort promoting Smartphones while at the same time spending so much time and effort making sure that no one here will ever be able to buy one. Microsoft usually isn't one for vaporware, but in this case they might be starting a new precedent. I mean, if you're going to make these devices available, then by all means have conferences and news releases etc. to promote them. However, if you're going to drag your feet as much as they (and their Smartphone partners) have then what's the point? After a while, people lose interest. In the time since they've first announce that Smartphones were "here", I've gone through THREE different cell phones! And that's with having each of them for a good long time! I don't care about this anymore and have given up, but if it's not going to happen then they should just let it die. It just annoys me, sorry if I sound like someone crapped in my cereal this morning.
I could not agree more. It is time to bring devices to (all) market(s) and if that won't happen any time soon, then stop publishing press releases until it can happen.

(How is that for someone often labeled "MS Fan Boy"!?)

Old 02-18-2003, 02:30 PM
bcre8v2
Intellectual

I would love to get my "paws" on the Samsung (purely development reasons, of course)..
Anyone have any ideas...? :wink:

Old 02-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Cortex
Philosopher

the samsung wins the "MOST BUTTONS" prize

i count no less than 8 buttons in that photo and thats excluding the D-pad!

we need some specs

Old 02-18-2003, 05:10 PM
sharmahw1
Pupil
Default Samsung Nexio

Does anyone know what happened to Nexio 160? release dates (if at all) in US. That is one device I'll buy without blinking if it also offers GSM tri-band phone capability, comes with a keyboard....still waiting!!!!

Old 02-18-2003, 06:29 PM
Master O'Mayhem
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcre8v2
I would love to get my "paws" on the Samsung (purely development reasons, of course)..
Anyone have any ideas...? :wink:

I bet you will see the CDMA version here in the states by Q2..... pure speculation on my part

Old 02-18-2003, 07:03 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master O'Mayhem
I bet you will see the CDMA version here in the states by Q2..... pure speculation on my part
Yes, I would speculate that too. But that is only because the speculation would follow the all too widely used release date formula: Now + 0.25yr. :roll:

Old 02-18-2003, 07:06 PM
Corn Bread
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to Corn Bread Send a message via MSN to Corn Bread

That Samsung PPC Phone Edition looks very sweet. I hope they release more detailed specs about it like Battery Capacity, processor, RAM, etc.

It seems a strong contender as a replacement for my xda