Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-13-2003, 11:26 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Dell, HP Competition Heats Up

The Inquirer is running a semi-humorous article and comic on the fact that the Axim may be undercutting sales of more expensive HP PDAs.

"A reseller of PCs in an eastern state of our Union has provided me with some collateral damage that HP is providing to combat what it sees as the threat of Unholy Dell penetrating uncharted parts of the IT market."

In the meantime, HP says that it's ready to compete with Dell on a broad array of pricing, including computers, notebooks, and hopefully PDAs. This article suggests that the new post-merger HP will be able to compete long-term.

Personally, I think the competition is good. While the Axim might initially undercut the iPaqs, in the long-term that will encourage HP to drive down the cost, which hopefully translates to a win for consumers.

Old 02-13-2003, 11:40 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Re: Dell, HP Competition Heats Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Personally, I think the competition is good.
Yes. HP lying about Dell leaves a sour taste in the mouth. "Squeeze every bit of cost and quality out", "Low priced inferior products" :evil: :roll:

Nice one HP - you lost on price and quality, so you throw dirt at the competition. HP had standards and stood for something good once. Looks like some of the CPQ spirit has entered it rather than vice versa.

(Yes I did used to do work for HP while they were still good).

Old 02-13-2003, 11:51 PM
heov
Thinker

i like competition for the high end... with dell releasing these ppc's at such a low price, OEMs will, instead of just lowering their prices, find out how to make the ppc's cheaper.

Thus were get NAND flash, etc. I'm afraid that when HP is going to release more competition against dell, they're going to release crappy prodcuts w/ cheap batteries, screens, etc... and they're too greedy to just lower their margins.

THat's my $0.02

Old 02-13-2003, 11:52 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Gerbil, is HP really distributing that flyer? If so, they should be smacked upside the head. I thought it was more humor -- you can never tell with the Inquirer & Co.

--janak

Old 02-14-2003, 12:01 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Can someone scan that flyer? Seriously. I want to see it. I smell lawsuit in the wind if it really exists. *sniff sniff*�smells like bacon
If you want to talk about quality lets talk the iPaq 3635. The initial problems were as long as my arm and I got some fairly long arms.

Dell does the wait and see. They observe exactly what the problems are in first gen devices and improves on them. Yes the Axims are far from perfect but they ARE a far sight better then Compaq's first attempt at the Pocket PC. Even if people aren't fans of Dell they have to admit to the fact that Dell is going to eventually do one thing, if nothing else, to the Pocket PC market and that is drive down prices. Dell is the best thing to hit the Pocket PC market since the iPaq. It may not be revolutionary in the hardware department but it sure as heck is in price.

Old 02-14-2003, 12:15 AM
Skoobouy
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Skoobouy

Actually, as a staunch Jornada fan, I think that the iPaq 1900 is the very best thing to happen to HP in a long time. True, I think that the underclocked processor and the small headphone jack were mistakes, but by and large I believe that the iPaq (with a good overclocker) beats the Dell for anyone not already invested in Compact Flash.

I sort of represent a niche market, though: college student. I'm not a Joe-six-pack and I'm not a corporate buyer, so I have to deconstruct myself a little. But from this vantage point, it looks to me like the iPaq 1900 is a winner as an entry-level consumer machine, while the Dell would be best perhaps only for those who need to update a CF-based PDA without changing their storage format.

I will always be an opponent of the mainstream iPaq line though, all the way from 3600 to 5500. The size of an unsleeved iPaq means that HP/Compaq can never justify (to me) omitting Compact Flash. Sleeves are not a feature - they're a loyalty trap. And I think, perhaps, that this may be why the cheap Dells are viewed as a viable alternative even to the beefcake Bluetooth toting, superIR, fingerprint reading iPaqs.

Old 02-14-2003, 01:03 AM
Rirath
Pontificator

Skoobouy, care to give any reasons to back up your opinion the low end Ipaq is better than the Dell? Let me guess, you have just one. Size. Also, why are college students are a niche market and what college student isn't joe six-pack?

Old 02-14-2003, 01:43 AM
johncruise
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to johncruise

HP? Compete with Dell's pricing? HA! This I got to see. HP and Compaq are known for setting the pricing standards

Old 02-14-2003, 02:10 AM
kaiden.1
Ponderer
Send a message via Yahoo to kaiden.1
Default HP is obviously SCARED..... of pending loss!!!

Well; this is typical. When ever someone comes along and looms to threaten your pocket book and your postion; it is very typical of people to start throwing dirt, and everything else to make the other look bad. That means only one thing. HP is scared of DELL! In fact I am a business owner and I see this happen a lot sadly enough in the business world. Actually; good for DELL! It onlymeans that they are headed in the right direction and that what they are doing is working and working very well. HP on the other hand, by reverting to childish whining and bad mouth dirt slinging makes them look bad; even really bad! (In the long run HP this is going to hurt you...... you don't sling mud without getting a lot of that mud on YOU!) :lol:

DELL has earned it's place with the public over the years and that is why they are trusted and where they are at, not because they come out with cheaper pricing...... come o; it is absolutely stupid to point a finger and cry because you fear that your going to loose market share. What HP should be asking themselves is what is DELL doing right that is causing it's customers to be loyal to them so that when a new product comes out, regardless of what that product might be (this just happens to be a PPC) that that same loyal customer (JOE PUBLIC who has a great impression of DELL) that they don't think twice about picking one up! It has nothing to do that garbage idea of poor Quality and Cheap pricing. It has everything to do with what they (DELL) have done right for many years and have thus earned the trust of the public so that they don't even question the product, they just buy it.

I just have to laugh; this isn't going to buy HP anything, it is really going to set them behind; and in the long run because people can see through this mess as utter garbage; it will bring DELL further into the spot light of attention and get even more people to look at DELL! BAD marketing for HP!!!! really BAD!!!! Great for DELL!!!!! Just you watch...... Marketing is a method that is always the same and bad marketing does not and will not get you ahead of your competition. IT only stirs up the pot for them.

Kudos to DELL for it all..... I don't even have a DELL PPC, but I have been seriously concidering it and this type of play only makes me think further and further back about ever getting an HP anything! Dirty people always get dirty and eventually are found to be dirty! What a bid dissapointment in HP!!!!!!! :?

Old 02-14-2003, 03:26 AM
Roosterman
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoobouy
Actually, as a staunch Jornada fan, I think that the iPaq 1900 is the very best thing to happen to HP in a long time. True, I think that the underclocked processor and the small headphone jack were mistakes, but by and large I believe that the iPaq (with a good overclocker) beats the Dell for anyone not already invested in Compact Flash.

I sort of represent a niche market, though: college student. I'm not a Joe-six-pack and I'm not a corporate buyer, so I have to deconstruct myself a little. But from this vantage point, it looks to me like the iPaq 1900 is a winner as an entry-level consumer machine, while the Dell would be best perhaps only for those who need to update a CF-based PDA without changing their storage format.

I will always be an opponent of the mainstream iPaq line though, all the way from 3600 to 5500. The size of an unsleeved iPaq means that HP/Compaq can never justify (to me) omitting Compact Flash. Sleeves are not a feature - they're a loyalty trap. And I think, perhaps, that this may be why the cheap Dells are viewed as a viable alternative even to the beefcake Bluetooth toting, superIR, fingerprint reading iPaqs.
I hope your not leaning to be so sterotypic in school. You made some pretty broad assumptions on sterotypes you've picked up some where. I am neither "Joe lunch box" or someone who "needs to update a CF-based PDA without changing their storage format". I am someone who couldn't justify spending $500 for a glorified address book that has been called an IPAQ. I am someone who can evaluate features compared to price and make an itelligent informed decision. The Axim offered the best features and expandiblity of anything on the market IMO.