Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-13-2003, 03:24 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Gateway Integrating Multi-Format Flash Readers in Notebooks

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-98423...ag=fd_nbs_ptech

This is something I'm glad is finally happening - something like a 6-in-1 reader directly integrated into your notebook. It's certainly better than Sony's Memory Stick-only slots on their notebooks.

"Aiming to better connect its notebooks with a growing array of digital devices, Gateway is introducing a portable PC that can read the tiny flash memory cards used by digital cameras and MP3 players.

Memory card readers that can read several different types of storage have become popular features on some consumer desktop models, but Gateway appears to be the first to include them on a notebook."

Old 02-13-2003, 04:03 PM
dochall
Intellectual

My shiny Tablet PC tosh 3505 has Sd, CF and PCMCIA already. Enough for me anyway

Old 02-13-2003, 04:22 PM
willkess71
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to willkess71 Send a message via MSN to willkess71
Default I bought

A Gateway with 2 PC card Slots and then stuck in my 4-1 card reader. I agree this is welcome addition especially as my notebook is now more powerful than any of the desktops in the office. I use it for almost all my mobile editing.

Old 02-13-2003, 06:43 PM
Fzara
Thinker

This is definitely an excellent idea.

However, I say replace the floppy drive with these card readers, and we should be good to go.

Btw: is it just me, or does anyone else feel that there should be IR ports on desktops? (I needed an NES Emulator yesterday but I was at the computer lab)

Old 02-13-2003, 07:02 PM
alex22
Pupil
Default Definitely a good idea

This is definitely a good idea since I used my VAIO a lot and constanly find the memorystick only slot is annoying.

Hope Sony will come up with notebooks with card reads that can actually read many of my CF and SD cards.

Old 02-13-2003, 09:44 PM
draklava
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to draklava
Default sager

For those of you who have never heard of Sager laptops they have great quality, features and price.

My Sager has memory stick and SD/MMC - no compact flash though... it's good to have options!

Old 02-14-2003, 03:59 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

imo this'll be nifty from an admins standpoint... Stick something the size of a stamp into a computer and boot to it, no floppies, CDs or network connection necessary!

8)

Old 02-14-2003, 05:13 AM
Tom W.M.
Theorist
Default Intergration of IrDA ports

Quote:
Btw: is it just me, or does anyone else feel that there should be IR ports on desktops? (I needed an NES Emulator yesterday but I was at the computer lab)
I totally agree. I have wanted to transfer files for printing many times at school. We have some (really old) unused Mac All-in-Ones laying around, and they do have IrDA ports on the front. But they seem to be diabled (aaaarghh!), and the stupid things are about a third of the way up the case.
<blockquote>
The IrDA port is the little black rectangle on the front.</blockquote>Maybe these ports should be intergrated into the keyboard or monitor base.
Also, TigerDirect has some budget PCs that come with IrDA ports in another totally idiotic place: halfway up the front of the case.

Old 02-14-2003, 05:18 AM
Tom W.M.
Theorist
Default Booting?

Quote:
imo this'll be nifty from an admins standpoint... Stick something the size of a stamp into a computer and boot to it, no floppies, CDs or network connection necessary!
You can really do that with all of those formats? I know it can be done with CompactFlash, but I have never heard of it being done with the others. And wouldn't the BIOS have to be tweaked around to boot from them? Would you have to format the cards?

Old 02-14-2003, 06:48 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default Re: Booting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W.M.
I know it can be done with CompactFlash...
Actually that's the extent of my knowledge in this sitaution. It'd be nifty, though!

I read somewhere you need a specific brand of card reader to create a bootable CF card. Do you know the brand off the top of your head?