Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 02-03-2003, 04:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default iPAQ 3800 Backlight Resolution

http://www3.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?dt=3&source=MH020124_CW02.xml

It seems HP is still working on clearing up the backlight issue on the 3800 series. The backlight on some units will fail to illuminate when powered on. If yours exhibits this problem, check out the link above for troubleshooting tips and further instructions, including the possible return to HP for repairs.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Re: iPAQ 3800 Backlight Resolution

First, don't try to run their serial number check in Mozilla. Your browser window will just keep "Loading". Use IE to visit that link.

Second, the serial number check told me that my 3870 wasn't affected, but I have occasionally gotten the failure to light. It hasn't happened for a while, but, for a period of a few days a while back, it did seem to happen more.

Given that it doesn't happen much, I wouldn't bother sending my iPAQ in for repair anyway, but the serial number check doesn't seem to work very well.

Steve

Old 02-03-2003, 05:29 PM
Sanjay Srikonda
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to Sanjay Srikonda Send a message via MSN to Sanjay Srikonda Send a message via Yahoo to Sanjay Srikonda
Default Until I read this about holding down the power button for 3 seconds, I'd never heard of this fix

how come I've never seen this fix anywhere else before about holding the power button down for 3 seconds if it fails to illuminate on power-up? Or was that published before.

my serial number comes back as "possibly affected" I'd like to return it, but i've had a 50% bad experiene with them, and i've heard horror stories about people getting back units that worked even worse than the ones they turned in.

Old 02-03-2003, 05:34 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Until I read this about holding down the power button for 3 seconds, I'd never heard of this fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay Srikonda
how come I've never seen this fix anywhere else before about holding the power button down for 3 seconds if it fails to illuminate on power-up? Or was that published before.
Hmm? Affected units don't turn on that way -- you often need to do some combination of soft reset, hard reset, voodoo mumblings, and cursing at the unit.

--janak

Old 02-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Until I read this about holding down the power button for 3 seconds, I'd never heard of this fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
Hmm? Affected units don't turn on that way -- you often need to do some combination of soft reset, hard reset, voodoo mumblings, and cursing at the unit.
The backlight on my old 3800 would sometimes respond in this fashion when it failed to turn on. Often a soft reset didn't cut it.

Compaq has had that "workaround" on their site since last spring/winter when the first reports came in.

Old 02-03-2003, 06:22 PM
felixdd
Philosopher
Send a message via ICQ to felixdd Send a message via AIM to felixdd Send a message via MSN to felixdd Send a message via Yahoo to felixdd

Uhh...this is happening on my Jornada 568 -- cause for concern?

Old 02-03-2003, 06:30 PM
Pony99CA
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
Another workaround was to turn the device off, cover the auto-brightness sensor, then turn the device on. Doing that or a soft reset always worked for me.

Steve

Old 02-03-2003, 06:33 PM
Evee Ev
Intellectual
Default "i'm sorry sir..."

this backlight problem happened to me the other day and the tech i spoke to said my warranty expired 8 days ago! perfect! he said i could send it to them to fix it for about $125 or do it myself for about $35. he mentioned some site i could buy the part from. the only catch is that i would have to solder the thing myself...not a good idea. but since the ipaq was free, a buck-twenty-five is a small price to pay.

Old 02-03-2003, 06:49 PM
surur
Mystic

My loox has exactly the same problem, which is strange. I suspect that besides running on the same software there is also a great uniformity of hardware out there, with only the cases being different.

I wonder if there is a way to verify if both these platforms share the same faulty hardware. Eeve, what was that part that they asked you to replace? Could you identify it as exactly as possble.

Thx

Surur

Old 02-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Evee Ev
Intellectual

some sort of board on the ipaq. the exact name i couldn't remember. i'll try and find out though.