Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 01-24-2003, 01:35 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Photo Viewing/Editing Applications?

I'm putting on my Spb Software hat for a minute here to ask you about photo viewing and photo editing applications. Based on what's out there, including Spb products, what's missing? What features are important to you in a photo viewer? Simplicity? Speed? Gobs of features? What types of features would make you say "Hot damn, this is the only photo viewing application I'll ever install on my Pocket PC again?"

And when it comes to an application to edit photos, what do you want to see? What are critical features that an application that claimed to be a photo editor would suck without? Think midrange features here, not CMYK pre-press support. Also, think about what's realistic and possible on a small screen - think scenario, and tell me what those scenarios are.

My ears are open dear readers - what do you have to say?

Old 01-24-2003, 01:43 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Huge fan of Pocket Artist. Only issue is not enough filters and it is very slow to render a 500K .jpg taken from a camera.

Old 01-24-2003, 01:51 AM
nz0eBoy
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to nz0eBoy Send a message via Skype™ to nz0eBoy

I have only used one photo viewing app on my PPC and I can't even remember what it was called.

But a couple of things I thought it mised was a convenient way to send a picture my e-mail (compress it and add it as an attachement the way XP does).

Loss-less rotation for jpegs should be in there somewhere also I think.

Speaking of rotation it would be nice if I didn't have to create a new file when I rotate a picture, rather that a program could remember the filename and automatically rotate it next time I open it

HTH

Old 01-24-2003, 01:51 AM
freitasm
Oracle

I use Resco Picture Viewer... Why? Because is the only one that opened ALL my pictures without showing a "Out of memory" error.

I can get my 256MB SD card out of my camera, put into the H3970 and look at the pictures straight there! No changing picture format, no resizing (there's a Palbum software for changing pictures now, I think)

So, the most important feature? SHOW the pictures. With no problems. No complains...

Old 01-24-2003, 01:52 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Huge fan of Pocket Artist. Only issue is not enough filters and it is very slow to render a 500K .jpg taken from a camera.
Could you be more specific? What features from the photo editing side of things are important to you? Not the painting type stuff, but photo viewing/editing.

Old 01-24-2003, 01:56 AM
Macguy59
Mystic

For me personally, apps like Photoshop Elements 2.0 and iPhoto2 do a nice job without being overly complicated. When viewing photo's on my PPC I want whatever app I'm using to automatically resize the image to my screen size. Having to scroll is a real turn off, unless of course I'm zooming in on it. Second would be a simple brush that one could erase blemishes with easily. Third would be an easy way to remove redeye. An example of this would be to drag a box around the eyes and with a single tap remove the redness. Lastly would be a 'quickfix' button that would change a variety of parameters at one time (but still allow for manual contrast/brightness control). Of course the basics like the ability to crop, resize, rotate and a way to email the pic from within the app would be nice :wink:

Old 01-24-2003, 01:57 AM
Jhokur2k
Intellectual

How about something simple *mind you I haven't found or read a manual for pocket artist so don't shoot me* - brush sizes? Or an easy drop down (rise up?) menu format similar to Photoshop, so you can get to tools quicker...

Old 01-24-2003, 02:00 AM
bbarker
Philosopher

I like the photo viewing app that came with my HP Jornada 568. It's simple and does just one thing. Usually what I want to do is show someone a picture of my family or one of my kids. I can open the viewer and quickly get there.

Unfortunately I can't just click on a photo from File Manager because Picture Perfect comes up. When that happens I can't simply show someone a photo because PP wants more. It requires complicated setup steps or something to do with albums. That always messes me up. It requires enough steps and waiting for thumbnails to load that the person I'm showing has lost interest by the time I locate the picture. The UI isn't intuitive either.

So give me something simple and quick as a viewer.

As for an editor, I don't know. I've never tried editing a photo on a Pocket PC. But if I did, again I would want an excellent user interface. Be sure you do usability tests to verify the ease of use.

Old 01-24-2003, 02:01 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Could you be more specific? What features from the photo editing side of things are important to you? Not the painting type stuff, but photo viewing/editing.
Ok, ok, I am a photo editing hack. Red eye is about all I do for real, but The kids like it when I do the Swirl or a Bubble filter on the image, and I can't do that with Pocket Artist. Don't ask anymore questions. You'll confuse me. I'll start asking you about depreciation or something. :P

Old 01-24-2003, 02:04 AM
Buddha
Intellectual
Default image resampling

Well one thing that should really be included (in my opinion) is a resample option, instead of a simple resize when changing a picture to a smaller format. This gives much better quality.

(and lossless rotation of jpegs would be nice aswell)

my 2 cents