Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 01-24-2003, 06:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default HP 10B-II Calculator For Your Pocket PC

http://www.penreader.com/PocketPC/Financial_Calculator.html

"In business, it's important to get the most for your money. That's why Advanced Financial Calculator based on Hewlett Packard 10BII functions is the smart choice for business and financial courses."

� Over 100 built-in functions for business, finance, mathematics and statistics
� Performs algebraic data entry (No RPN? )
� Intuitive onscreen keyboard
� Big buttons - you can use not only stylus but also your fingertips
� Great mix of statistic, business and math functions
� Suitable for finance, accounting, economics and business work
� $14.95 from Handango. Affiliate link. Runs on any Pocket PC.

Old 01-24-2003, 07:53 AM
szamot
Sage

What's up with all these fancy calculators and no Reverse Polish Notation - I take offence, how am I supposed to and figure out what I would be if I was not Polish, err, that's right I'd be Canadian! :P

Old 01-24-2003, 02:04 PM
PJE
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by szamot
What's up with all these fancy calculators and no Reverse Polish Notation - I take offence, how am I supposed to and figure out what I would be if I was not Polish, err, that's right I'd be Canadian! :P
Check out Pocket 12C (or Pocket 15C if you want a scientific calculator) from Lygea. These are EXCELLENT replicas of the RPN HP 12C and 15C calculators - complete to the smallest detail (as far as I can see).

BTW, Stay clear of the Pocket HP-48GX on Handango. It's someone illegally selling the Emu48CE emulator!!!!!

My 2c

PJE

Old 01-24-2003, 03:18 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

I'm still using the same HP 41CV I picked up in 1982. I can't believe my calculator turned twenty last month! I'd love to find a software package to replace it on my PPC, but so far I haven't been that impressed with them. And yes, it has to use RPN! :lol:

Any suggestions?

Old 01-24-2003, 03:39 PM
PJE
Thinker
Default Try These...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Dodd
I'm still using the same HP 41CV I picked up in 1982. I can't believe my calculator turned twenty last month! I'd love to find a software package to replace it on my PPC, but so far I haven't been that impressed with them. And yes, it has to use RPN! :lol:

Any suggestions?
I too can only use RPN calculators - I've had a HP-42S since it came out, and a HP-48G for the last few years. I have yet to find the perfect Pocket PC calculator as yet, but give these a whirl.

Lygea Pocket 15C This is a very good version of the 15C, but its functionality is limited compared to the more advance HP calculators.

CalcNow Nice fast RPN calculator with a clean look, but misses base conversion... although it is extendable so I may give it a whirl - If the author reads this can the display handle Hex numbers?

Calc98 Probably the most powerful native calculator I've used. UI is a bit clunky though... It would be nice to have finger pushable buttons without shrinking the function keys to the size of a grain of sand.

Emu48CE Very powerful, but the speed and UI issues (as well as the size) have put me off. Your expriences may be better.

If anyone else knows of a good RPN calculator (with base conversion and logic functions), please let me know

PJE

Old 01-24-2003, 04:16 PM
Ed Hansberry

Personally, I am an HP 17B-II man. I had the original 19B and hated the algebra and found the batteries (some goofy "N" cell) were too expensive and hard to find. Got a 17B-II as soon as it came out in the late 80's and have never looked back. RPN all the way! The tactile feel of HP's keys are 2nd to none. TI's will die after heavy usage in 2-3 years, though I admit I never tried a $50+ TI calc, but HP's $30 calcs have the same keys as the $200 calcs.

Old 01-24-2003, 04:35 PM
PJE
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Personally, I am an HP 17B-II man. I had the original 19B and hated the algebra and found the batteries (some goofy "N" cell) were too expensive and hard to find. Got a 17B-II as soon as it came out in the late 80's and have never looked back. RPN all the way! The tactile feel of HP's keys are 2nd to none. TI's will die after heavy usage in 2-3 years, though I admit I never tried a $50+ TI calc, but HP's $30 calcs have the same keys as the $200 calcs.
The HP-42S (which is my main day-to-day calculator) is basically the scientific version of the 17B-II. Why they don't make it any more is beyond me. I'm thinking of making a trip to Ebay to fine a spare in case mine breaks down (although at 15 years and still going strong it's likely to outlive me ;-)

I contacted Lygea to see if they were likely to be working on a more advanced RPN scientific calculator, but their response was not hopeful.

PJE

Regards,

PJE

Old 01-24-2003, 05:06 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJE
Why they don't make it any more is beyond me.
Man, HP only has two scientific and two financial calculators on their site. :cry: I remember when they had 5-10 of each, some over $300. I think the 48GX was that expensive.

Old 01-24-2003, 05:58 PM
eustts
Intellectual

I wish a developer would create the 48g or newer on PPC. I would one less device to carry around.

Old 01-24-2003, 08:06 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Wow. Calculator geeks. You guys make me look like a studly jock in comparison. :lol: :lol:

I KID! I KID! :lol: