Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 01-17-2003, 09:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Follow-up On New Sony Memory Stick

http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2889.html

Just over a month ago, we reported on the new Sony Memory Stick Pro linking to a CNet News.com article. Immediately other PDA enthusiast sites dismissed the article based on contacts within Sony saying that the author of the article, Richard Shim, would be embarrassed.

Well, it looks like he was mostly right. "Not all devices will support the new format, however. Some products already have support for the Memory Stick Pro built-in, suggesting that Sony has been "priming the market" for some time, while others will require a software upgrade. In particular, Sony's CLIE NX-line and NZ-line of Palm OS handhelds will support the Memory Stick Pro with a software patch. No other members of the CLIE line will support the new Memory Stick."

So even the high dollar NR series is not supported. :roll: They are adding another new format, called the Memory Stick Select, which will essentially cram multiple 128MB sticks into a single stick. You remove the stick and slide a switch to access different "partitions." How useful is that? Who wants playlists spanning volumes?

I don't care if Sony builds a Pocket PC tomorrow that has all the power of the NZ-90 in the size of an HP iPAQ h1910. If it has a memory stick slot, it won't be on my shopping list. I hate to see consumers being duped like this. I hope current Clie owners remember this treatment when they are ready to upgrade.

Old 01-17-2003, 09:12 PM
dh
Mystic

I would buy an NX60 (don't need the camera) NOW if Sony provided SD instead of the Memory Stick and that the WiFi slot supported all CF cards. I understand that Sony has a corporate mission to support it's memory format, but the result is a PDA that fails to meet many potential customers desires.

This idea of moving a switch to access the different memory stick partitions just sucks.

Between them Palm and Sony must be making many current users take a close look at the PPC alternatives. Actually if the NX60 was a dual slot PPC it would be a fantastic, albeit rather expensive device.

It looks as though the Palm OS guys are losing it, whereas the PPC gang are coming up with products more in tune with users needs.

Old 01-17-2003, 09:13 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Even better since its 4 partitions you get to play where's that document. Hmmmm did it put it on partition 2 or 4??!?! I�m still pissed that I spent a cool grand on my Cybershot 707 and, while its not worthless, sony�s proprietary **** has definitely decreased the value. NEVER AGAIN! :twisted: :x

Old 01-17-2003, 09:15 PM
igreen
Ponderer

I used to be a big fan of Sony products.....I like the VIAO notebooks..but Memory Stick is the deal breaker. The capacities of Memory Sticks are a joke. Sony should do itself a favor and drop this Betamax-like farce.

Old 01-17-2003, 09:16 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Yeah, a lot of F707 users are very, very angry about this. We haven't even thought about consumer confusion between "Classic" vs "Pro" vs "Select"...

I wouldn't call this "partially right", Ed. I think he was almost completely correct.

--janak

Old 01-17-2003, 09:18 PM
hokie36
Pupil

The day after I heard about Sony going with the Memory Stick Pro that would not support legacy devices I returned my Clie SJ30 (beautiful screen that I do miss) to get the HP 1910. This just made my hatred for Sony grow deeper since they are leaving most of their customers out in the cold.

Palm vs PPC...I hate that argument because I love both and think each has it's weak and strong points. Everyone vs Sony...I'd rather buy a Packard Bell...screw Sony.

Old 01-17-2003, 09:22 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Yeah, a lot of F707 users are very, very angry about this. We haven't even thought about consumer confusion between "Classic" vs "Pro" vs "Select"...

I wouldn't call this "partially right", Ed. I think he was almost completely correct.

--janak
Agreed. I'll edit my post. Seems only devices made within 2-3 months of the original announcement *might* be eligible.

Old 01-17-2003, 09:31 PM
markpmc
Pupil
Default I defended Sony...

The bottom line is that Sony did lie, the CNet article was correct. Sony gave us just enough info to make us think the new sticks would be usual MS Magic Gate w/ increased capacity...not another damn flash format.

My solution was simple and obvious. I've sold my Clie and today is my first day w/ a Zayo in hand.

markpmc

Old 01-17-2003, 09:32 PM
pocketpcdude1024
Thinker
Default Re: Follow-up On New Sony Memory Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
I don't care if Sony builds a Pocket PC tomorrow that has all the power of the NZ-90 in the size of an HP iPAQ h1910. If it has a memory stick slot, it wont' be on my shopping list.
If it has the price of a Zire it's on mine!

Old 01-17-2003, 09:34 PM
GregWard
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh

--janak
So where does this "... be embarassed" come from then? Do Sony think he'll be really embarassed 'cos he was dead right? ops: ops: ops: