Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 01-15-2003, 02:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft to Reveal Windows CE Code To US Government

http://biz.yahoo.com/ft/030114/1042490784354_3.html

"The world's largest software group has decided to make nearly all the Windows code available to government and government agencies free in an effort to encourage them to use its software.

"Microsoft will provide the code for its most recent version Windows XP, Windows 2000, its new Windows server product due later this year, and Windows CE, the operating system used in mobile devices. The company will also allow government representatives to visit Microsoft's campus to inspect a small amount of code not included. The group is talking to 20 governments and agencies and has signed agreements with 10."

Do you think this will help Microsofts share of government customers? Think we'll see more Pocket PCs and other Windows CE embedded devices being used by our civil servants?

Old 01-15-2003, 02:47 PM
Ken Mattern
Intellectual
Default Re: Microsoft to Reveal Windows CE Code To US Government

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Think we'll see more Pocket PCs and other Windows CE embedded devices being used by our civil servants?
Absolutely! But think well beyond civil servants to the warfighter and the contractor. My job security is so high right now that I would continue to make an excellent living even if I were dead 8O I just delivered a pile of Jornadas to Ft. Campbell, KY. and they want more. One warrant officer told me that he had just ordered his Dell. Pilots love them, just ask Bus Driver. The Department of Defense is seeing the Pocket PC as a great new tool. Computing power without the size and weight of a notebook. Read my article in the March 2003 issue of Pocket PC magazine for more.

Ken

Old 01-15-2003, 02:56 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

No, it won't help Microsoft because I'm sure some company or State government will sue MS to stop them from doing it.

Old 01-15-2003, 03:16 PM
cesarfong
Ponderer

uhmm share code? uh,, sounds good .. it is a way from MS to say " i have nothing to hide you ", but does government respect code confidenciality?

Regards

C�sar

Old 01-15-2003, 03:32 PM
Busdriver
Intellectual

Yes, it will go a long way towards promoting the use of Windows by the goverment.

There are so many ways that a PPC can be used in aviation. I used it in the USAF and I'm using it now in the civilian sector, and I'm not nearly as imaginative or clever as many people in these fields are; people who could code very, very useful apps.

I agree with the other poster though-Microsoft WILL see their code out in public. They are taking a risk, hopefully it will pay off for them.

Old 01-15-2003, 03:38 PM
ppcsurfr
Philosopher

Well, tis might also mean that they're showing somethig old and when the new one comes out it will be kept nder wraps???

Old 01-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Gary Garland, Esq.
Ponderer

I can't wait for the department of justice (just-arse) to bring an antitrust suit to stop microsoft from monopolizing the government. or better yet, microsoft will have it's revenge when all the government machines crash repeatedly! :twisted:

Old 01-15-2003, 04:01 PM
Gary Garland, Esq.
Ponderer

One last thing - i just remembered - wasn't windows 3 (or earlier?) a complete rip of the mcintosh? does that mean when the gov sees winxp, they'll find nestled deep within some cobwebs and apple copyrights? okay, okay, i'll shut up already! :lol:

Old 01-15-2003, 04:38 PM
Seraph1024
Ponderer
Default I found the code

#include "crash.h"
#include "bugs.h"
#include "oldstuff.h"
#include "billrulz.h"

char make_prog_look_big[1600000];

void main()
{
while(!CRASHED)
{
display_copyright_message();
display_bill_rules_message();
do_nothing_loop();
if (first_time_usage)
{
run_minutes(10);
do_nothing_loop();
hang_system();
soft_reset();
}
do_nothing_loop();
hang_system();
if (still_not_crashed)
{
do_nothing_loop();
win_CE2.0_for_wrong_CPU();
do_nothing_loop();
win_CE2.0_for_wrong_CPU();
do_nothing_loop();
}
}

if (fast_cpu())
{
set_wait_states(9999999);

}

/* printf("Welcome to Windows CE 2.0"); */
/* printf("Welcome to Windows CE 2.11"); */
/* printf("Welcome to Windows CE3.0"); */
/* printf("Welcome to PPC 2000"); */
printf("Welcome to PPC 2002");
/* printf("Welcome to PPC 2003 / CE .net 4.2"); */
if (system_ok())
crash(screen_fade);
else
soft_reset();
while(something)
{
sleep(5);
get_user_input();
sleep(5);
act_on_user_input();
sleep(5);
}
hard_reset();
}

Old 01-15-2003, 04:48 PM
stareja
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to stareja Send a message via Yahoo to stareja

I think it's something that looks good on the surface, but will ultimatey not change anything.

I notice they mentioned that they're allowing the governmnet to look at the code, but will Microsoft accept suggestions on changes? They're certainly under no obligation to. An I seriously doubt they'll allow the government to make changes to the code.

It's not just the ability to look at source code that makes opensource appealing to governments, it's the ability to change that code if they have to. What microsoft is doing is equivelent to handing the governmnet a stone tablet with the Windows code written on it. Yeah, it's nice to look at, but doesn't really do much good.

Just my 2 cents worth.