Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 01-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Run Your iPaq 1910 at 300MHz?

http://discussion.brighthand.com/sh...?threadid=69594

There's been considerable buzz over on Brighthand as of late, where a programmer figured out how to control the XScale's CPU frequency on the iPaq 1910. It seems that Intel has released two XScale CPU's to the PDA market: one unit capable of running from 100MHz to 300MHz, and another unit capable of running from 100MHz to 400MHz. Both support 100MHz increments: think of it as a SpeedStep-like functionality on steroids (ergo the name XScale implying the ability to scale the speed up and down), with a machine instruction to switch speeds. Note that this is not overclocking the processor per se -- if anything, the 1910 seems to have been underclocked from the processor's maximum specs, perhaps for battery life or for other reasons HP didn't disclose.

Just as interesting is the fact that the 300MHz-based Pocket PCs are apparently using the exact same chip, but clocked at 300MHz. This includes both the Dell Axim and the ViewSonic V35. This also leads more credence to Christian Torring's thread where he thinks the V35 is the same unit as the Medion, Mitac, Packard Bell PocketGear (and possibly NEC MobilePro) units, with just the Viewsonic scaled up.

You can get info from the link above as well as on this thread. Note that: (a) as of this moment, this program is very prerelease--it only lets you scale up to 300MHz and not back down without a hard reset; (b) you're executing this program at your own risk, not ours. It might work perfectly, or you might void your warranty, or your screen might turn psychedelic colors, or your iPaq might sprout wings and fly away, for all I know.

Old 01-14-2003, 05:15 PM
icatar
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to icatar Send a message via Yahoo to icatar

Sounds very cool. I hope the DMCA isn't invoked in this case....

Old 01-14-2003, 05:21 PM
vincentsiaw
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to vincentsiaw Send a message via MSN to vincentsiaw

anybody try this thing yet ?

Old 01-14-2003, 05:26 PM
Sparkomatic
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Sparkomatic Send a message via AIM to Sparkomatic Send a message via MSN to Sparkomatic Send a message via Yahoo to Sparkomatic
Default Overclocking for iPAQs

Just out of curiousity... Back when I had a HP Jornada, I remember seeing an overclocking program made for iPAQs from Jimmy Software (I think). The last time I tried to track the program down, I couldn't find it. Does anyone know what happened to it? Does it exist anymore? Did it even work?

Old 01-14-2003, 05:27 PM
Wilbert
Pupil

I posted on this earlier.... :?

It works great.

Old 01-14-2003, 05:41 PM
moaske
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to moaske Send a message via Yahoo to moaske

I doubt the usefullnes of this....cause all PPC's actually don't run any faster wether they have a SA1110 or a boosting 400Mhz PXA250.
Microsoft is the one who should solve the problem of slow PPC's by modifying their OS :evil:. I think that only than we will see a significant speed increase.

I use a FSC Pocket Loox with the fastest PXA250, and i DON'T notice ANY bl**dy performance difference with my 'old' Casio E200 that still has the 'old' ARM v4 instruction set in it's 'old' SA1110 processor.

Old 01-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaske
I doubt the usefullnes of this....cause all PPC's actually don't run any faster wether they have a SA1110 or a boosting 400Mhz PXA250.
It does make a difference, relatively speaking. Read the links. As to the SA-vs-XScale discussion, we've covered that from every angle already.

--janak

Old 01-14-2003, 05:46 PM
Sparkomatic
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Sparkomatic Send a message via AIM to Sparkomatic Send a message via MSN to Sparkomatic Send a message via Yahoo to Sparkomatic

Good point on the Microsoft OS. I remember when I had a Palm and used an overclocking hack to boost the speed. It was a very noticible difference. I think that was one of the biggest disappointments when I moved over to a PPC. However, everything that the PPC offers made up for it

Old 01-14-2003, 05:51 PM
Wilbert
Pupil

I have been using the mod since lastnight and it is a noticable difference!

Everything runs smoother from video, to apps. The benchmarks prove it.

Now when and IF MS does allow xscale in the next PPC, the 300MHZ 1910 will fly!!

Old 01-14-2003, 06:05 PM
GO-TRIBE
Ponderer
Default Stop Blaming Microsoft for the World's Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaske
Microsoft is the one who should solve the problem of slow PPC's by modifying their OS :evil:.
Hey Microsoft is doing the right thing here. They said all along that PPC would be standardized on ARM4 allowing for processor competition. The problem here is that Intel produced a chip that has little performance gain when running standard ARM4 code. What Intel would like MS to do is make PPC an Intel only OS, and thereby destroy compatibility and competition. Can’t you see MS is supporting competition here (which lowers prices.). Eventually PPC will move to ARM5, but I hope it never becomes Intel only. :wink: