Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 01-11-2003, 02:45 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Bill Would Allow Copying of Music, Movies

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article...n010803X,00.asp

All hail the DMCR! What's that you might ask? It's a new bill that might actually allow you to use the music and videos you paid for in whatever way you wish (as long as it's for personal use). But will this bill come to pass in the US? I have my doubts - I think the RIAA will gather their army of lawyers together and send them to Congress in a mad rush of paperwork and jabbber jowls. It will get ugly.

"The Digital Media Consumer Rights Acts, reintroduced Tuesday by Representative Rick Boucher, a Virginia Democrat, and three other lawmakers, would trump the Digital Millennium Copyright Act's anticircumvention provisions, allowing consumers to break copy controls in order to do such things as make personal copies of songs or movies from discs they already own. If the consumer's action has a substantial legitimate use, it falls under the fair use rights protected in the Boucher bill, instead of constituting a copyright violation, Boucher said."

(as a side note, I think I'm using Microsoft products too much lately - when I saw the title of that article, I thought "Bill" was referring to Bill Gates :lol: )

Old 01-11-2003, 02:49 AM
T-Will
Sage
Default Re: Bill Would Allow Copying of Music, Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
(as a side note, I think I'm using Microsoft products too much lately - when I saw the title of that article, I thought "Bill" was referring to Bill Gates :lol: )
LOL! Same here...

Old 01-11-2003, 02:52 AM
Bandito
Pupil

I hate to say it, but me too :roll:

Old 01-11-2003, 02:58 AM
bikeman
Ponderer

Me three! I was expecting something about one of MS new media products! On a serious note, any thought to starting a grassroots email campaign in support of this? I have seen those before with a form letter in support of legislation, where you select your state and it is automatically routed to your Senators and Congressmen. I don't know how to do that, but I am sure some Thoughts reader (or moderator) must know.

Old 01-11-2003, 03:00 AM
T-Will
Sage

That's pretty sad that we would even think that Bill Gates controls what music or movies we copy... :roll:

Old 01-11-2003, 03:07 AM
Hyperluminal
Thinker

Me too.

That bill certainly does sound nice; it's certainly refreshing after all of these other bills, especially the one that would actually put a chip in all consumer hardware to prevent copying...

Old 01-11-2003, 03:10 AM
jet8810
Intellectual

LOL...me too! I thought it was bill gates hehe....

Anyway, I fully support this Bill!

Old 01-11-2003, 03:15 AM
Thefo
Ponderer
Default (as a side note, I think I'm using Microsoft products too much lately - when I saw the title of that article, I thought

(as a side note, I think I'm using Microsoft products too much lately - when I saw the title of that article, I thought "Bill" was referring to Bill Gates )

Wow, this getting scary....me too 8O

Old 01-11-2003, 03:19 AM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K
Default Re: Bill Would Allow Copying of Music, Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
I think the RIAA will gather their army of lawyers together and send them to Congress in a mad rush of paperwork and jabbber jowls. It will get ugly.
That means we need to get together an army of supporters for this bill to outnumber their army of lawyers. Who knows, we just might make democracy work this time!

Old 01-11-2003, 03:25 AM
Rirath
Pontificator

Me as well with Bill. ops: Wishful thinking someone that powerful on the side of the consumer perhaps?

Ack... post 666 just has to be about Bill. >_< (All the old Bill = evil stuff)