Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default D-Link 2.4GHz Wireless Network Card for...$39!

http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m...cat=&e=11177336

Pocket PC Thoughts reader ux4484 sent me a message about a very good deal on the D-Link 802.11b WiFi cards - but only if you go into a local Best Buy store (the deal isn't available online). The card is $79.99 before the $40 mail in rebate, so it's a smokin' deal at $39 after the rebate. The D-Link part number is DCF-660W if your local store has trouble finding it. Enjoy!

Old 01-10-2003, 05:16 PM
mrtaz65
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to mrtaz65
Default It works great in my Axim

But, if anyone can point me to a 'net-stumbler-like' program that works with this card, I would be very appreciative. Pocketwarrior looks like it should, but no joy

Old 01-10-2003, 05:23 PM
portus
Ponderer

Not to discourage people from this deal but lots of people have been trying to help out a user of this exact card to work on her PPC with no avail. At least it shows the quality of this card is not well controlled - if the one the user has is a lemon. If not, then things get even worse ...

Old 01-10-2003, 05:27 PM
ux4484
Thinker

double hmmmm......no trouble whatsoever at home or work, PDA or laptop(with adapter) with this card.
biggest suggestion is not to insert the card before the drivers are loaded.....this is characteristic of most wifi stuff.

Old 01-10-2003, 05:36 PM
bdeli
Thinker
Default Re: It works great in my Axim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtaz65
But, if anyone can point me to a 'net-stumbler-like' program that works with this card, I would be very appreciative. Pocketwarrior looks like it should, but no joy
You can try this one - WiNc beta version 1.0 (http://www.cirond.com/site/products/...nload_software)

Old 01-10-2003, 05:57 PM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K

I've also had the card work without any problems.

Old 01-10-2003, 06:16 PM
Charlie Cassidy
Neophyte
Default Got a bum one

I got a bum one that worked for about two days, then caused the PDA screen to blink/become a moire pattern in blue. Returned it to BB, but they didn't have another so they refunded my money.

Bought a Linksys WCF12 from Amazon ($63) instead. Should be here literally any minute.

To use the DCF-660W with WiNc or with Pocket Warrior, you need to use the Prism reference driver, not the D-Link driver. To use the Prism driver, remove the DCF card and uninstall the D-Link drivers. Remove the entry for the DCF-660 from the registry at: \HKLM\Drivers\PCMCIA\D-Link-DCF-660W-422B. Install the Prism reference driver from: http://www.intersil.com/design/prism...np-lic-win.asp

Plug the DCF card in. When the "unrecognized card" dialog comes up, enter "PRISMNDS.DLL".

UPS came while I was typing this. Type to go play with my new wireless card.

Charlie

Old 01-10-2003, 06:19 PM
ppptok
Neophyte

Does anyone know if this is available at BestBuy in Canada?

Old 01-10-2003, 06:21 PM
T-Will
Sage

Personally I had a problem with the Linksys WCF12 card working with my E570. It would cause my screen to get all these lines and my Pocket PC would lock up when I inserted it. Linksys said it was an incompatibility with the E570. Maybe newer drivers have fixed this, but I'd be wary of it. BTW, I ended up buying a Socket WiFi card which works great in my old E570, Intermec 6651, and XP laptop.

Old 01-10-2003, 06:27 PM
gadgetguy804
Neophyte

I have been using one for a couple of weeks with no problems. The software seems to like a reset when switching out of a cradle to go wireless.