Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Hardware

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Caliente
Pupil
Default Wireless: practical issues

Sure, its great that the Zune has wi-fi, and it will be a great novelty around the house - look kids I'm watching the Simpsons over my network on a 3" screen, but realistically at home, I'm gonna choose my widescreen laptop or 57" television everytime.

So to me it becomes a question of, what can I use wi-fi for on the go? Me thinks not much. The best thing I can think of for wi-fi is that it is going to be a glorified data connection when you go to your mates place.

I would prefer a USB2 data cable which instantly
recognises the Zune as storage in XP/Vista/OSX.

Next: battery life.
Having wi-fi on is going to chew through the Zunes battery life.

So for me it boils down to typical situations where I use an mp3 player and the prevalence and usefullness of wi-fi.

House: yes, but I'd rather watch/listen on my PC instead.
Outdoors: useless
Train/Bus: useless
On the go: useless
In the car: useless
Friends Place: Yes, but I'd rather use a USB cable.
Starbucks/any coffeeshop with wifi: Yes, but why? Are the masses really going to be purchasing music here (maybe, who knows...) but I imagine without a keyboard or even a real scroll wheel, finding and purchasing songs is going to be tedious.

Someone prove me wrong - I'm more than happy to see the Zune succeed and spur competition, but I am convinced at this early stage it will fail.