Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 01-05-2003, 01:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Dell Axim Wins Convert In Media

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht..._ptaxim040.html

"The Axim is such a good deal that it changes my world view: I'm prepared, for the first time, to recommend first-time PDA buyers consider PocketPC as a reasonable alternative to the well-established Palm software."

I can't wait to see a full quarter of Dell's sales numbers for this. The quarter ended December 2002 will only have 5 or 6 weeks of numbers. By March 2003, we may also have one or both of the rumored X3/X7 devices. I agree with the authors sentiments - this is a breakthrough for both Dell and the Pocket PC platform.

Old 01-05-2003, 03:19 PM
TopDog
Sage
Send a message via Skype™ to TopDog

This article tells about some great things about the Axim. It has a CF-slot, buildt in microfone, speakers and a color-screen, it also has a fast xscale-CPU and an SD-slot...

Whow... thats amazing, no one else has this... NOT!!!

The only thing amazing about the Dell Axim5 is the price!

The article-writer obviosly has never tested a LOOX, E-200, e740 or an iPAQ with a CF-sleeve, who all have the same features, only more expensive...

Old 01-05-2003, 03:32 PM
alan williams
Ponderer

There does seem to be a quiet media bias against PPC devices in general. Nice to see someone say, "Look, this one is pretty cool."

Old 01-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDog
The only thing amazing about the Dell Axim5 is the price!
I think that was the whole point of the article. Today you can get for $300 the same thing that costs $600 3 months ago.

And as far as I know, the Axim is the first with a Tranflective screen and dual slots. Other transflective devices have one slot and dual slot devices have reflective screens.

Old 01-05-2003, 03:41 PM
heliod
Intellectual

TopDog

Quote:
The article-writer obviosly has never tested a LOOX, E-200, e740 or an iPAQ with a CF-sleeve, who all have the same features, only more expensive...
The Axim has a very attractive message comparing to each of the devices you say:

1. Price
2. No need to buy an add-on sleeve.
3. No size addition by the sleeve.

Each of the above by itself is nothing, but the combination of all 3 makes a great difference.

Old 01-05-2003, 04:16 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Uh...guys? I hate to bust your bubble, but this is an old rehashed article from Mercury News which was posted here weeks ago:

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/sil...rg/4723919.htm

Sorry.

Old 01-05-2003, 04:34 PM
dh
Mystic
Default I agree with the writer of the article

I'm a Palm user and have never considered a PPC until now. Before I bought my Palm Vx I had owned a Psion and one of those HP WinCE 1.0 clamshell things (what a total waste of money that was).
My Palm has been great and I use it every day, but I'm now looking for more features so the Axim is very high on my list.
I must admit, that if the Tungsten T was more sensibly priced it would be top choice, I have a T68i phone so can use the built in BT, also the better integration with Word and Excel with DocsToGo.
However, the Axim with it's transflective screen, with a CF Bluetooth card provides me with everything I need at half the price of a new Ipaq.
I would probably have to buy a wordprocessor as well, is Textmaker the one with best integration with Word? Why doesn't MicroSoft make a proper office suite for the PPC?

Old 01-05-2003, 06:39 PM
The Big Jay
Ponderer
Default Re: Dell Axim Wins Convert In Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
"The Axim is such a good deal that it changes my world view: I'm prepared, for the first time, to recommend first-time PDA buyers consider PocketPC as a reasonable alternative to the well-established Palm software."

I can't wait to see a full quarter of Dell's sales numbers for this. The quarter ended December 2002 will only have 5 or 6 weeks of numbers. By March 2003, we may also have one or both of the rumored X3/X7 devices. I agree with the authors sentiments - this is a breakthrough for both Dell and the Pocket PC platform.
The price I think is the main factor here, and feature by feature the price is amazing. The price is what has been holding me back to buying one (PPC I mean).

Old 01-05-2003, 07:00 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter
Default Re: Dell Axim Wins Convert In Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
I can't wait to see a full quarter of Dell's sales numbers for this. The quarter ended December 2002 will only have 5 or 6 weeks of numbers.
I've been wondering about this myself. Unfortunately, while Dell will most likely release their numbers in their earnings report, many market analysis firms like NPD won't even count Dell in their studies. NPD in particular only tabulates retail sales data. So its up to IDC or Dataquest to compare volume levels and give us an idea of where Axim stacks up.

Old 01-05-2003, 07:01 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
Uh...guys? I hate to bust your bubble, but this is an old rehashed article from Mercury News which was posted here weeks ago:
Well worth rehashing, eh? :lol: I found this via google. Didn't think to check our archives. Good chance I posted the first one too.