Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 12-30-2002, 08:35 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default 1 GB IBM Microdrive with PC Card Adapter for $199

http://www.smb.compaq.com/dstore/op...omponentId=8351

"The IBM Microdrive offers easy file transfer between computers or electronic devices. The Microdrive also provides an easy source for file backup in a very small form factor. The Microdrive offers 1 GB, 3600 rpm, 30.1 to 45.2 Mb/second media transfer rate 128 KB data buffer, and 15ms average read seek time."

Old 12-30-2002, 08:40 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Hmmmm - about time they brought out larger capacities isn�t it. I hope this is the beginning of clearing out the old stock before they introduce new sizes (with decreased power requirements too ). One can but hope�

Old 12-30-2002, 08:49 PM
etalianstallion
Intellectual

Thanks for bringing this to the front page--I had posted this in the Dell Axim forum earlier.

Old 12-30-2002, 08:59 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA Gerbil
Hmmmm - about time they brought out larger capacities isn�t it. I hope this is the beginning of clearing out the old stock before they introduce new sizes (with decreased power requirements too ). One can but hope�
Yes -- I have a 1GB (which I paid $450 for :cry, and am desperately awaiting the rumored next-gen "Pixie Dust" Microdrive which will store 6GB.

--janak

Old 12-30-2002, 09:02 PM
Bob Anderson
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA Gerbil
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing... prices go really low right before the "new" stuff hits... and a while back there was an article about IBM putting that magic "Pixie Dust" to work on the microdrive increasing it's potential to something like 5GB??? Anyway... $199 is pretty darn cheap for 1GB of storage for the PPC world... Whether new stuff is coming out or not, I may just have to buy this!

Old 12-30-2002, 09:57 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Can I ask you guy. What is the word on the general reliability of these things? I have a 340Mb Microdrive that I got about 1.5 years ago. Doing scandisks on my puter I'm starting to find bad sectors.
Has anyone else had problems with their MD?

Old 12-30-2002, 10:04 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1
Can I ask you guy. What is the word on the general reliability of these things? I have a 340Mb Microdrive that I got about 1.5 years ago. Doing scandisks on my puter I'm starting to find bad sectors.
None with my 1GB, so far. I'd guess I've also had mine for 1.5 years. I haven't run Scandisk on it for a long time, but haven't seen any need to.

They're definitely not as sturdy as solid-state. On the other hand I've pulled mine out of my sleeves many times, and no problems so far (knock on wood).

--janak

Old 12-30-2002, 10:07 PM
sweetpete
Intellectual

I never had problems with my 340 MB drive, but I only had it 1 yr. before I sold it with the iPaq I used it with.

Having said that, I have heard of problems that eventually crop up with them and given that they are mechanical HDD's that are intended to be used in a mobile environment, I'm not surprised. If you use it for data storage, I recommend a good backup routine if you care about the data.

A couple pro photographers I know used them religously, but they seem to be moving to the large size solid state CF cards now that those prices are falling. You still pay more, but given that added reliability (and lower power consumption) it provides them, they can easily justify it.

For me, I want tons of cheap storage for movies and MP3's on my PPC so I may just have to pick one up. :lol:

Old 12-30-2002, 10:14 PM
bcre8v2
Intellectual
Default It's great!

Come on...
$199.00 (+ tax/shipping) is great for 1GB portable storage for PPC's, laptops, digital cameras, etc. And it comes with a PC Card adapter!

I can store almost 2000 high quality (3.3 mp) pictures or hundreds of songs! :lol:

If only someone would invent a pocketPC jukebox that can accomodate multiple CF's or SD's. :idea:

Old 12-30-2002, 10:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1
Yup, my 1 GB Microdrive is kind of squirly. Works ok in a Pocket PC for everything, but when I put it in my laptop and try a scandisk it makes strange clicking sounds and never completes.

I can't recommend the Microdrive technology to anyone - too flaky.