Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 12-30-2002, 12:39 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Pocket Mac Pro 2.0 Reviews

Today I'll hopefully get my iBook. I don't think I'll do a unpacking ceremony, but I do know I'm going to install Pocket Mac Pro 2.0, the Pocket PC sync tool for those running OS X. If you want to learn more about this, recently two reviews of Pocket Mac Pro 2.0 have been released.

First, from the Apple world of things, Dave Marsh from the Stockton Apple Users Group looks at the product and also shows that you can synchronize over an Airport connection. His conclusion: "Overall, I'd have to say I'm really quite pleased that the PocketMac folks have come out with this product, and that it now works reliably on my HP Jornada 568. It also works with other Pocket PCs, but you should check their site for specifics before you buy since not all Pocket PCs are alike. It's taken a while for them to get it right, but now it works and I love having this functionality again. If you use a Pocket PC, you should definitely give this connectivity solution a look."

Second, from the Pocket PC world of things, Jose V. Sumaquial, MD of MedicalPocketPC.com reviews Pocket Mac Pro 2.0 as well. He seems to like Pocket Mac Pro, but still finds a need for a PC or Virtual PC, as the Pocket Mac solutions like Cab Extractor in his experience doesn't offer a 100% solution. "PocketMac offers native MacOS connectivity to Pocket PCs. No other application does this. There are other alternatives, including VirtualPC in conjunction with Microsoft ActiveSync. PocketMac offers basic connectivity to Pocket PCs but falls short when it comes to installing applications onto the Pocket PC. [...] If you own a PC and a Mac, then PocketMac is a good means of synchronizing your Mac's PIM with the Pocket PC. However, if you only have a Mac and would like to install applications and need more complete connectivity, then VirtualPC is the way to go (but is a significantly more expensive alternative)."

Old 12-30-2002, 04:05 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Ummm just when I thought Apple users couldn't get more bizarre. An unpacking ceremony?!?!?! WTF?!?!?! Hmm I wonder what portion of the people that do this also have little shrines for Jobs in their house? :lol: :? It really is sad. Esp the part about rather seeing pictures of iMacs then naked women. I think there is a line that shouldn�t be crossed when admiring a company and its products and THAT guy on that wired article didn�t walk across that line he was catapulted 1/4 mile over it.
I guess to an extent it really is true: Apple is more of a cult then a computer company. So when Jobs dies are Mac users going to start looking for the reincarnation of Steve Jobs the first? :lol:

Old 12-30-2002, 04:12 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

I haven't tried PocketMac yet with my iMac. I'll give it a twirl this this week sometime.

Old 12-30-2002, 04:22 PM
Mr. Anonymous
Ponderer

Congrats on the new Mac. If you're not going to photograph the unpacking (shame on you!) at least be sure to take time to smell the packaging. I'm serious, nothing smells better than fresh electronics

Old 12-30-2002, 04:57 PM
jizmo
Thinker

While we are at it, someone really *should* port the Macintosh Emulator to PPC. There's a Sharp Zaurus port of the opensource Basilisk emulator @

http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=615

Maybe some of the programmers here at PPCThoughts could take some time and try to recompile it to work on PPC as well? There are quite a few good utilities for the platform. 8)

/jizmo

Old 12-30-2002, 05:01 PM
ExtremeSIMS
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to ExtremeSIMS Send a message via AIM to ExtremeSIMS
Default PocketMac Pro

I am pretty pleased with PocketMac Pro. I have had some issues, but I managed to work through them. It is mandatory that you have a Windows PC or VPC, though, as installing CABs does require a Windows box most of the time. I have several here at home and work, so it's not big deal for me to sync up to install apps.

Johnathon - the Ars OpenForum Battlefront is where you want to post. Seriously, I come from a Windows/Unix/Linux background, and until you use a Mac, you can not understand. It's like Japanese presentation. Nothing is just jammed into a box when you buy at a boutique or department store - it's "presented". A little bit of art and form in everything....

Marlof - time for someone (PocketMac? Users?) to fund a Quicken sync tool that will work as well!

Old 12-30-2002, 05:30 PM
XmanHP548
Pupil
Default PocketMac 2.0 is much better!

1.0 was a work in progress; 2.0 is a much more full-featured program that is actually useable. :P

Actually, I did have an unpacking ceremony for my Mac when she arrived, but it wasn't as nutso as the one in the Wired article :wink:

Old 12-30-2002, 05:49 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator
Default Re: PocketMac 2.0 is much better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XmanHP548
Actually, I did have an unpacking ceremony for my Mac when she arrived, but it wasn't as nutso as the one in the Wired article :wink:
How do you determine the gender of your computer? If it has male for female USB ports? :lol:

Old 12-30-2002, 05:59 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator
Default Re: PocketMac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeSIMS

Johnathon - the Ars OpenForum Battlefront is where you want to post. Seriously, I come from a Windows/Unix/Linux background, and until you use a Mac, you can not understand. It's like Japanese presentation. Nothing is just jammed into a box when you buy at a boutique or department store - it's "presented". A little bit of art and form in everything....
Hey! Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Mac hardware itself. (Other then I believe its overpriced but high quality so it kinda works out in the end.)

I have problems with people going overboard with their computers and the companies that sell them. Ever see the movie hackers. The guy who gets busted and he's clinging, nude, to the leg of the fed that is dragging away his computer. Granted that's WAY extreme but still. It�s an inanimate object. Who cares?

Old 12-30-2002, 06:15 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

OK not to drag the topic off course but since I have the ear...er.....eye of Mac users. Question. What devices from my PC would work in a Mac tower if I ever decided to buy a Mac?

Specifically would I be able to use any of the following:
MS Optical Mouse Explorer (Fairly confidant)
GeForce 4 AGP(Doubtful)
Soundblaster Audigy (Doubtful)
Altec Lansing 251 5.1 Speaker (Do Macs do 5.1..?????They are geared towards multimedia so I'm guessing yes.)
Existing 120GB hard drive? (Not a freaking clue.)

I've got a fairly heavy investment in hardware on my Dell Desktop. It erks me thinking that I'd lose at minimum about $500 off of that investment if I went to a Power Mac tower. (No way I'm getting a bowl)