Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 12-28-2002, 02:03 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default HTC CDMA Pocket PC Phone Edition Approved by FCC

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=242

The "Falcon", HTC's codename for the CDMA 1xRTT version of their popular Pocket PC Phone Edition, was approved by the FCC today. It's a dual-band device that looks very similar to its GSM/GPRS cousin, but has a second stub antenna for GPS support.

Hopefully a US/Canadian carrier will carry this soon. The FCC documentation for this device can be found here.

Old 12-28-2002, 02:14 AM
kettle
Pupil

Noooooo! After waiting for months, I finaly caved in this week and bought a Handspring Treo 300. Damn you HTC, damn all of you enjoying Pocket PC heaven! :wink:

Old 12-28-2002, 02:39 AM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford
Default HTC CDMA PPCPE

I wonder which will come first the HTC CDMA PPCPE or the Samsung CDMA PPCPE or the Hitachi CDMA PPCPE.... You know what either way the patience of Sprint PCS users may finally pay off and we will have three choices as opposed to GPRS User's one choice for a PPCPE device.

SO hahahahahahaha. Not that I will ever see the Samsung or Hitachi. Hech the Samsung was approved in August.

Sides I am still not thrilled with the sizes of the PPCPEs.

Old 12-28-2002, 02:58 AM
Kirk Stephens
Intellectual

GPS support?? 8O

*drooling*

Old 12-28-2002, 03:14 AM
Mobile Mike
Pupil
Default is this form of CDMA ...

is this form of CDMA compatible with Sprint only, or will it work with Verizon? I still can't believe that a phone edition is not available for a company as large as verizon.

Old 12-28-2002, 03:42 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: is this form of CDMA ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile Mike
is this form of CDMA compatible with Sprint only, or will it work with Verizon? I still can't believe that a phone edition is not available for a company as large as verizon.
Not clear yet which provider will offer it, but both can. It's dual-band CDMA 800/1900, no analog. Verizon offers this for some of their handheld devices, including the Thera. Sprint also offers a couple devices, like their equivalent of the Thera, that's dual-band 800/1900; although they only use 1900, people have reported sporadic success roaming onto Verizon & related networks.

--janak

Old 12-28-2002, 05:27 AM
Bob Anderson
Thinker

What to do... What to do!

I want the iPaq 5450 ... I want the Motorola T720 phone ... and now this has a real possibility of being offered on Verizon...

Choices... Choices... Choices!!! I wish I had an unlimited Technology budget!!

Old 12-28-2002, 05:46 AM
John Hung
Pupil

Since I am a loyal Verizon user (6 months more to go on my 2-yr contract), I am certainly excited about the prospect of finally getting a version of the PPCPE for CDMA.

No matter which way you argue the point, 1xRTT is the fastest wireless solution available right now. Now I will have the choice of buying an 1xRTT enabled phone and tether it to my PPC or a CDMA version of PPCPE. It is a good day indeed.

Old 12-28-2002, 06:12 AM
Bajan Cherry
Ponderer
Default So will this work in India?

now that we will soon get CDMA 2000 1x based national service. Not that I am about to buy one, just curious to know.

Old 12-28-2002, 06:13 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: So will this work in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajan Cherry
now that we will soon get CDMA 2000 1x based national service. Not that I am about to buy one, just curious to know.
Not sure if I understand your question, but here goes: In the US, Sprint already offers nationwide 1xRTT. Verizon offers it in quite a few locations and is rapidly deploying. See http://www.verizonwireless.com/express_network/. I don't know if cdma2000 1x is being deployed in India, however... I heard rumors but nothing specific. But if you're in India, you should aim for the exiting GSM/GPRS version

--janak