Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 12-27-2002, 07:01 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default AvantBrowser: The Best IE Add-On I've Seen

http://www.avantbrowser.com/index.html

Like many of you, I'm always looking for great software - something so useful you install it on friends computers when you're over for a visit. Avant Browser is one such software tool. It's a light-weight add-on for Internet Explorer on your desktop PC, and adds some excellent features for a price you can't beat: free (though I'd urge you to give the author a small donation if you use it).

It has a tabbed browser interface, integrated Google searching, a pop-up blocker that works better than anything else I've ever used, and it's very fast (some add-ons to IE slow it down). One thing I like in particular is that most pop-up Windows that you DO want work and they float in their original size (NetCaptor forces them to be "full size"). I've been installing this application on every computer I come across - it's that good. The author is also amazingly responsive - he releases new versions nearly every week, fixing bugs and adding new features. He even added F2/F3 tab navigation when I asked him too! Download the trial version to check out, and if you like it and use it, please support the author with a donation.

Old 12-27-2002, 07:29 PM
Ken Mattern
Intellectual
Default Neat

What a neat idea! I like it already after only 5 minutes of use. And it is such a simple construct. Why didn't I think of this?

My job keeps me on the web much of the day. Having multiple windows/browsers open at one time is vital. This is a major tool. Thanks, Jason, for the Christmas present.

Ken

Old 12-27-2002, 07:29 PM
sweetpete
Intellectual

Thanks for the tip Jason. This is a great browser add-on. I always liked NetCaptor for it's tabbed browsing, but this seems a little cleaner and it's FREE best of all :lol:

I will be supporting the author and I encourage others that really like it to do the same. Freeware authors always get my moeny because by default, they aren't asking for it.

Old 12-27-2002, 07:32 PM
Steven Cedrone

I like it as well. One question though: do you guys really feel as if this is an IE add-on, or a replacement???

Steve

Old 12-27-2002, 07:39 PM
sweetpete
Intellectual

Well, given that the underlying browser technology used is IE ... it is an add-on. But once you install it, you really only run it instead of IE so I see where you say it is a replacement.

6 of one and half-dozen of another. 8)

Old 12-27-2002, 07:44 PM
heov
Thinker

Well, finally it's for IE (which I use)... but Opera and Netscape already have this built in. I'm betting MS will intergrate this feature w/ IE soon.

Old 12-27-2002, 07:45 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

As a previous NetCaptor fan, I love this one too. Main enhancement for me is the included Google search bar. That's something I really missed in NetCaptor. And I even could import my CaptorGroups!

Old 12-27-2002, 07:45 PM
johnm
Ponderer

Ok I've been using Mozilla ever since I saw the tab browsing and open window in the back ground feature. That is really all I use Moz for. Now I'm back in action with the more compatible IE + Avant. This is really great. I'll be donating to this for sure. Thanks Jason.

Old 12-27-2002, 07:47 PM
MitzEclipse
Intellectual

Hi,
Is there a way to disable the fact that all separate browsers load in the same Avant Browser? I like most of the features, but I don't like how I can't use "ALT+TAB" anymore

I know you can use F2 + F3, but that's not as easy as a the ALT + TAB keyboard shortcut

Old 12-27-2002, 07:48 PM
johnm
Ponderer

This is actually the best feature and the main reason for doing it. Keeps all your pages together. Try CTRL-TAB instead and it will do what you want.