Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 12-23-2002, 09:42 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Sendo Sues Microsoft

http://news.com.com/2100-1033-97868...html?tag=fd_top

Sendo alleges that Microsoft took some proprietary work Sendo did on top of the MS Smartphone reference platform and gave it to other vendors who then released a very Sendo-like solution; in particular, the article cites the HTC/Orange SPV which came out a few days before Sendo cancelled the release of the z100.

This may finally explain why Sendo wanted out of the partnership. I always felt the discussion we had never seemed to explain the suddenness of Sendo's move. Whether it's true or not remains to be seen, however; as the article mentions, the Sendo-MS relationship was rocky for some time amid Sendo's apparent skepticism of the MS platform.

Thanks to the million people who submitted this story...

Old 12-23-2002, 10:07 PM
pt
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to pt
Default Re: Sendo Sues Microsoft

i'm really glad the first smartphone out is the orange spv. i think it's way better than any of the phones i saw from sendo.

cheers,
pt

Old 12-23-2002, 10:25 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: Sendo Sues Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt
i'm really glad the first smartphone out is the orange spv. i think it's way better than any of the phones i saw from sendo.
I agree! I haven't seen the SPV yet, but anything has to be better than the Sendo. I never got around to doing a front-page post about this, but the Sendo phone was a piece of junk (sorry Sendo!). The unit I had was an engineering sample, but I've never seen such a poorly designed phone. It took too much force to press the buttons, they were mushy, the screen had strange black lines running vertically, and it simply felt cheap.

It's ironic - pretty much everyone who wrote about the beta Sendo units kept saying "Oh, the final one will be better" - and in hindsight, the Orange unit came out faster and better than anything Sendo could do.

Old 12-23-2002, 10:51 PM
kennyg
Intellectual

The SPV is a better phone, but I still wouldn't call the z100 junk.

The only things I can complain about the z100 phone were the screen and the button press issues, which like you, I hoped would be resolved in future version. It is much lighter than the Sendo (lithum-ply battery instead of lithum-ion) but doesn't last quite as long as the SPV.

But I still have think the buttons on the SPV are too small, not enough room to put the "space" or "shift" key symbols so I find myself entering text more slowly.

Old 12-23-2002, 11:11 PM
T-Will
Sage

Exactly what features is the law suit about?

Old 12-23-2002, 11:11 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

I've read about 3 articles on the topic and haven't seen any elaboration. If someone knows, post it here and I'll update the post.

--janak

Old 12-23-2002, 11:30 PM
Master O'Mayhem
Theorist

Sendio sucked... and BTW if you didnt order the developer kit in the first week, you would have never seen it. BTW i still havenet gotten reimbursed for the 2 dev kits i ordered

Old 12-24-2002, 01:01 AM
someppcuser
Pupil

How typical of MS (:evil: ), they've let Sendo study the market, do the beta testing and suddenly went to HTC with all the data and told them to make a great phone.

That must have been a great disappointement for Sendo.

Old 12-24-2002, 01:20 AM
PlayAgain?
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to PlayAgain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by someppcuser
How typical of MS (:evil: ), they've let Sendo study the market, do the beta testing and suddenly went to HTC with all the data and told them to make a great phone.

That must have been a great disappointement for Sendo.
That's what happens when you do business with Microsoft - they embrace you and then come in for the kill.

I can't see them (Sendo) recovering, this sounds like a last ditch gamble at getting some money in because I can't imagine anybody wanting to take Microsoft to court unless its the only option left. And what with Sendo being such a small operation, I don't fancy their chances at all.

Another one bites the dust :roll:

Old 12-24-2002, 01:30 AM
whitey
Pupil

I was just thinking today after i saw the spv in the store that this will be a cool xmas present for myself and a little brother for my 3970. Shame it doesn't have bluetooth. I'm getting it anyway....
merry xmas to all...