Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Thoughts Site Updates

Old 12-21-2002, 08:30 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Mail Server DNS Issues Finally Resolved?

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsr...tpcthoughts.com

Ok, we've finally got the DNS issues with our mail server sorted out, so I think maybe, just maybe, 100% of you should start receiving notification messages. Ok, maybe 99% of you since some of you aren't using valid email addresses (now that your email is completely spam-proofed, I'd encourage you to use a valid email address).

Start to monitor some threads and see what happens.

Old 12-21-2002, 03:51 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default Re: Mail Server DNS Issues Finally Resolved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Just don't turn on an 'out of office' rule for your email that will fill up Jason's mailbox with auto-responses

Old 12-21-2002, 06:12 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Just don't turn on an 'out of office' rule for your email that will fill up Jason's mailbox with auto-responses
Autoresponders should only reply to the first email from a sender, not all of them, and I think those get killed when replied to anyway.

Old 12-21-2002, 06:42 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Autoresponders should only reply to the first email from a sender, not all of them, and I think those get killed when replied to anyway.
You would think that (it is usually the case)... but for some reason it was not working that way from my Exchange Server to the admin address.

Old 12-21-2002, 08:06 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
You would think that (it is usually the case)... but for some reason it was not working that way from my Exchange Server to the admin address.
Really? That is odd. I can't even find a way in Outlook XP or Exchange 2000 to allow multiple replies to the same address. Of course, if you log in to your email profile and turn off the out of office auto reply and turn it back on, the counter is reset.

Are you using a general rule to reply or the Out Of Office Assistant? A general rule will fire off a reply for every email.

Old 12-21-2002, 08:32 PM
JonnoB
Mystic

Quote:
Really? That is odd. I can't even find a way in Outlook XP or Exchange 2000 to allow multiple replies to the same address. Of course, if you log in to your email profile and turn off the out of office auto reply and turn it back on, the counter is reset.

Are you using a general rule to reply or the Out Of Office Assistant? A general rule will fire off a reply for every email.
Out of office assistant. It works normally, Jason reported however he was getting multiple notifications - as if the notifications were coming from multiple people.

BTW, you can trigger multiple responses using server-side or client (Outlook) rules. In my case however, the Exchange Server based Out of Office appeared to be the culprit.

Old 12-21-2002, 10:58 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Out of office assistant. It works normally, Jason reported however he was getting multiple notifications - as if the notifications were coming from multiple people.

BTW, you can trigger multiple responses using server-side or client (Outlook) rules. In my case however, the Exchange Server based Out of Office appeared to be the culprit.
Weird, weird, weird! Maybe it's possible one email was bouncing around. While you can use client- or server-side rules to do multiple OOO notifications (there's a new acronym :P), I've had many customers ask me how to do it via the Assistant, and my response has always been "you can't".

--janak

Old 12-21-2002, 11:07 PM
JonnoB
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
I've had many customers ask me how to do it via the Assistant, and my response has always been "you can't".

--janak
You can add additional rules to the Out of Office assistant that executes when out of office is on. With those rules, you can do just about anything including sending custom reply messages.

When I am 'out of office,' I usually have Outlook running in offline mode using an OST (offline store) and sync with the server. When offline, you can't rely on local client rules wizards to do the work, so I make use of the server side rules and when the default options are not enough, create custom add-ins to do what I need.

Old 12-22-2002, 12:34 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
You can add additional rules to the Out of Office assistant that executes when out of office is on. With those rules, you can do just about anything including sending custom reply messages.
Actually, that's true; wasn't thinking of it that way. I never suggest setting up rules to my customers unless I'm there, since the average Joe isn't the most proficient person when it comes to rule processing/creation. What I've been looking for is a server-side way to flip a switch and have it send a notification for each email that comes in. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to exist.

--janak

Old 12-22-2002, 03:44 AM
JonnoB
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
What I've been looking for is a server-side way to flip a switch and have it send a notification for each email that comes in. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to exist.

--janak
There is quite a bit of available server scripting samples available. Take a look at http://www.slipstick.com/dev/scripting.htm

There are other resources as well. Happy scripting!