Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 12-13-2002, 12:55 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default HTC "Tanager" Smartphone

HTC has a new Smartphone cooking. Code name is "Tanager" and the below links all lead to FCC:
General "Tanager" Information
"Tanager" User's Guide
"Tanager" Photos

Check out Phone Scoop's summary, as well!

Old 12-13-2002, 02:13 PM
Daniel
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Send a message via MSN to Daniel

No SDIO and no BT! Bummer.

Pictures look cool though.

This one looks a little more interesting (SDIO at least):

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=235

And here's the samsung one that looks pretty good to me:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=186

Daniel

Old 12-13-2002, 03:04 PM
Steven Cedrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sjostrom
Source: Andrew Farkas
Ha, let's place bets on how long it takes before the "Master" has one of these...

My bet: he already does... :wink:

Steve

Old 12-13-2002, 05:39 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed

I'm still holding out for a SmartPhone that works on Sprint VisionPCS and has Bluetooth. I guess I'll be waiting for quite awhile yet.

Old 12-13-2002, 06:39 PM
ThomasC22
Sage
Send a message via MSN to ThomasC22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabaclue
I'm still holding out for a SmartPhone that works on Sprint VisionPCS and has Bluetooth. I guess I'll be waiting for quite awhile yet.
I was with you up until this, because I've been with Sprint for 6 years and have maintained the same number throughout that time, but now I'm thinking...

How much would it really cost to keep my Sprint Account and use it just for the voicemail (e.g. people could still get ahold of me) and just use another company as my primary cell. phone carrier? Probably not much and certainly a price I'd be willing to pay for a decent smartphone.

As for this phone, it seems to look and act enough like the Orange SPV (Which I'm more than a little obsessed with) so I think I've got a winner!

Oh and Daniel, your post was the best proof I've gotten yet that people find VASTLY different things attractive

Old 12-13-2002, 07:11 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC22
I was with you up until this, because I've been with Sprint for 6 years and have maintained the same number throughout that time, but now I'm thinking...
I hear ya. If I hadn't just bought a new Sanyo 4900 (two of them, actually; one for me and one for the wife) I might be tempted to switch to another carrier.

I originally went with Sprint because I travelled a lot and liked their national no-roaming feature. But I rarely travel anymore and that's just not as big a draw as it used to.

And it certainly seems that all the really cool phones are now being done for GSM/GPRS.

So how does GPRS compare to Vision anyway? So far I've been generally unimpressed with Vision's speed.

Old 12-13-2002, 08:02 PM
David C
Intellectual

Quote:
How much would it really cost to keep my Sprint Account and use it just for the voicemail (e.g. people could still get ahold of me) and just use another company as my primary cell. phone carrier?
You don't have to do that soon. Wireless Number Portability is comming sometime at the end of next year, and Sprint will probally be the first carrier to be compliant. Of course, that just mean that Sprint will be able to take other people's numbers, the other carrier has to be compliant to take Sprint's number too, but anyways...

As far as Vision with smartphone and bluetooth. Well, the Samsung I600 is a CDMA phone running Smartphone and 1900, but I don't know if Sprint will have it. On the other hand, the Sony/Ericsson T608 should be comming to Sprint, and it will be the first CDMA with bluetooth, but it has no Smartphone.

Old 12-13-2002, 09:58 PM
Daniel
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Send a message via MSN to Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabaclue
Unfortunately, this is the closest I've seen to your desired phone:
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=228
I read somewhere (probably here) that the reason there is no CDMA+BT phones is because Qualcomm is draging their feet on the whole BT thing. Maybe Sprint is the same?

Quote:
Oh and Daniel, your post was the best proof I've gotten yet that people find VASTLY different things attractive
I have to say that it's more of a functional thing for me. I don't like non-flip phones because of personal preference. I actually don't really like the look of the phone on the outside but it's not about that. This is a CDMA smartphone with SDIO support, if only it had BT.

Daniel

Old 12-13-2002, 10:40 PM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford
Default New HTC and Sprint Complaints

First off, love the looks of the HTC phones. I also Like the Way Siemens Phones Look. But, there are no CDMA choices from either company. Someone oughta get these companies on the phone and give em hell. I wish I had seen this Phone Scoop Site earlier. It is GREAT!!! I spent a couple of hours going through almost every phone. I for got to look at the Audiovox Phones. Anyway Qualcom has BT support in thier 5000 series chips. BT is not coming fast from any OEM especially CDMA OEMS who are focusing on other features and not concerned with a secondary wireless protocol. Sprint especially is worried because they offer very cheap 1XRTT, coverage. What happens when people get BT phones and link to PDAs and Computers?

The Samung i700 is beautiful. The i600 is ugly. the 600 will be through Verizon innitially and the 700 through Sprint.

Old 12-13-2002, 10:49 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
Unfortunately, this is the closest I've seen to your desired phone:
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=228
I read somewhere (probably here) that the reason there is no CDMA+BT phones is because Qualcomm is draging their feet on the whole BT thing. Maybe Sprint is the same?
Actually, that's not bad looking at all! Everything I need except SmartPhone...