Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 12-11-2002, 09:25 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Stunning, Small and Super Cool Phone

http://www.mobil.se/nyheter/visa.asp?id=6040&sid=1

This phone is cool. Small and cool. I posted about Neonode N1 a while back ago but haven't thought about it much since, to be honest. But am I glad this thing will happen, or what!? Neonode N1 is a Smartphone 2002 (it's Windows CE, at least) with a number of interesting modifications. The screen is a touch screen and has a built-in camera despite its exteremly small size! The Swedish cellphone and PDA magazine Mobil has had the opportunity to play around with a beta device. According to them Neonode N1 will be available in February 2003.

Be sure to check out Neonode's really fresh site, and more stunning pictures!

UPDATE: I posted about this phone already in April. It wasn't clear then either, whether or not this is a Smartphone 2002 device. Since it doesn't follow the official Smartphone 2002 specifications, including the use of a touch screen, I doubt it is. It is surely Windows CE, however. Microsoft PR says they won't confirm or deny the "rumors about the Neonode N1". They then add: "There's lots of room for innovation on the Smartphone platform and Microsoft looks forward to a range of form factors from handset vendors, OEMs and ODMs."

My April post about Neonode N1 said it should have been available this summer. While overly optimistic schedules are common in this market, I am afraid they don't add credibility. If Neonode now says February, they should stick to it or beat it until they have something to sell, in my opinion.

Old 12-11-2002, 09:40 PM
Daniel
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Send a message via MSN to Daniel

Ok, now that's cool, I want one of those too now! Thanks guys, now I'm getting device envy again! :roll:

Translation anyone? I can gather some info by guessing but as they say "The devil is in the detail".

Daniel

ps. I bet it doesn't have BT though

Old 12-11-2002, 09:56 PM
enemy2k2
Theorist

Now there's another cool phone I want By the time my contract runs out next year I'm going to have an awesome selection to choose from (hopefully) :!:

Old 12-11-2002, 09:59 PM
dbrahms
Intellectual
Default IT'S A SHAMM!

Here is yet another device mock-up that will never get any more attention aside from the attnetion it's getting here. Maybe I'll design a nice device on photoshop, come up with a company name and make a web-site about it. I'll get thouisands of email and stir up a storm for nothing. Anyone wanna help me with this project? (kinda serious actually....could be a nice technology stire site[/u][/i]

Old 12-11-2002, 10:29 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: IT'S A SHAMM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrahms
Here is yet another device mock-up that will never get any more attention aside from the attnetion it's getting here.
While that may be true in some cases, the Nextlink Bluespoon (the world's smallest Bluetooth headset) is a notable exception -- it just took a couple years to get the pieces together to manufacture it. We should keep on aspiring to such prototypes - the future is this way.

--bdj

Old 12-11-2002, 10:29 PM
moaske
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to moaske Send a message via Yahoo to moaske

That's right: let's first see if this thingie will actually hit the market !
If it does; it's gonna be mine !

Old 12-11-2002, 10:30 PM
mookie123
Thinker

OK, here is my question,

Why can't they make PPC as attractive as this? I mean the color chasis, button placement etc, not necessarily the size.

I bet if somebody comes out with really exciting PDA with fresh design it will sells like hot cake. I am tired of ..........slap some beige chasis or cheap silvery plastic and a couple of buttons around a big screen approach to PDA design look.

That is a design job DELL would do. COME on Californian, italian, or tokyo design houses....... MAKE something irresistably cool PDA.

Old 12-11-2002, 10:33 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaske
That's right: let's first see if this thingie will actually hit the market !
If it does; it's gonna be mine !
However, I'm sure it's going to be 900/1800, in which case we can't use it in the US

--bdj

Old 12-11-2002, 10:38 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default small

Now that device is small... I love it!

Old 12-11-2002, 10:50 PM
PlayAgain?
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to PlayAgain?

That phone actually looks nice! If it hits the market, I'll take back what I've said about Windows based phones looking like cockle hunters and even give it a second glance!

Yes, I am impressed, and by the time it does hit the streets, the smartphone OS should be mature enough to be useful.

The only problem I find with these phones (my current one included) is that because I have eczema and have to put ointment on my face, it smears the screen (sorry, too much detail I know).

Nevertheless, I hope this one makes it out of the factory.