Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Thoughts Site Updates

Old 12-04-2002, 06:37 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Are You Receiving Email Notifications?

I believe we finally nailed down the email notification problems we were having last month, but I wanted to make sure. If you sign up for discussion forum update notifications, or private message notifications, do you receive these via email? Answer the survey below please. If you don't use this feature of phpBB, please don't answer the survey. Thank you!

Old 12-04-2002, 07:00 PM
ThomasC22
Sage
Send a message via MSN to ThomasC22

Is this "as of today"? Because I was getting them briefly last week and I got a batch mid-week, and last night I got a batch of them. So I'm not sure if that's a yes or a no :?

(that was a confused :? btw, I'm not quite sure what that paticular emoticon is supposed to convey and I myself have used it in several different contexts so I wanted to make sure I was clear)

Old 12-04-2002, 07:54 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

I am with Thomas.... got them periodically last week then nothing...

Old 12-04-2002, 08:01 PM
ThomasC22
Sage
Send a message via MSN to ThomasC22

Thanks Jeremiah, now I know I'm a No

Anyway, no, I'm not getting them right now as I didn't get one for this thread.

Old 12-04-2002, 08:13 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

That's what I am here for .... to proclaim we are NO's 8O

Old 12-04-2002, 08:26 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Those that are priodically getting them is one thing - but those that aren't and have signed up for them - make sure they aren't going to a trash folder due to a filter. Some ISPs like Earthlink use BrightMail and they may be shuttling it off to your trash bin. I know Hotmail does it for nearly 100% of notifications I get from other boards and I have to add those notifications to my "safe list."

Old 12-04-2002, 08:30 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Jason, can you add a third option for Erratically? I had the exact same behavior last week as Tom & co.

--bdj

Old 12-04-2002, 08:34 PM
karen
Thinker

And someone at PPT out to ensure that there are no spam filters between PPthoughts and their SMTP server.

My host for my communities just installed a spam filter (with no notification) and they have it set to stop sending an e-mail once there is more than one bounce message. We have thousands of subscribers, so there is just no way to ensure that every single e-mail recipient has an up to date, valid, working e-mail address.

We struggled for weeks, looking a logs, testing, trying to figure out why some lists sent messages just fine an other sent only a couple of messages correctly. Finally, someone at the host thought "uh, I wonder if..." and bang, that was it.

Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Those that are priodically getting them is one thing - but those that aren't and have signed up for them - make sure they aren't going to a trash folder due to a filter. Some ISPs like Earthlink use BrightMail and they may be shuttling it off to your trash bin. I know Hotmail does it for nearly 100% of notifications I get from other boards and I have to add those notifications to my "safe list."

Old 12-04-2002, 08:56 PM
KyleC
Intellectual

Well, I can honestly say that I do get my messages, and I would say quite regularly. However, I only do the "Watch this topic" thing so it may be other notifications that are messed up. :scatter:

Old 12-04-2002, 09:47 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

I don't think I'm getting them lately... no, I haven't seen a Thoughts email for a couple of weeks at least. I can't really tell if I miss them, because I respond to stuff posted on today's main page, and if I don't hear back I just lose track of the threads. There are far too many forums to keep touch with to spend time hunting down old threads everywhere, so when Dale's or Steve's or Aaron's email notifications fail, I miss stuff there too. Just the breaks, I guess. Perhaps a side effect of dialup combined with Pocket IE? Kind of limits interest in spending huge amounts of time tapping links, which in theory means I get more work done!