Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 12-02-2002, 08:30 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Order TextMaker Exclusively through Pocket PC Thoughts

http://www.softmaker.de/tmppc_en.php4

On December 3rd, the whole world will be able to order TextMaker, the first word processor for the Pocket PC. Today only, Pocket PC Thoughts readers are the only ones that can order the application - and at $5 US/5 Euros off the normal price! You net price will be $44.95 for the electronic version of TextMaker. You say you want an alternative to Word on the desktop? Get the desktop+PPC bundle for $59.95, a full $10 off the normal price. HPC users? You're included too - $59.95 for the HPC+desktop version, $10 off the normal price.

In addition, the developer has agreed to give Thoughts a generous affiliate bonus, so you'll be supporting our work as well. What is TextMaker? What does it offer? Keep reading.

TextMaker is everything we wished Pocket Word could be. Let's face it: Pocket Word is really Pocket Notepad (if that). We've long known that in terms of document fidelity, Palm's Documents to Go application was a better solution than what we had on the Pocket PC. No more - TextMaker allows a remarkably higher level of document fidelity to be maintained on the Pocket PC, and allows for a richer level of editing than anything we've had previously. If you create documents on your Pocket PC, or edit Word documents via email, TextMaker is a must-have application.

The list of features is impressive. Here are a few of the more notable ones:

� Documents can be opened and saved in numerous formats � e.g. TextMaker for Windows, Pocket Word, Word for Windows, RTF, ASCII, Unicode
� Search/replace text and formatting
� Calculations in text and tables
� Outliner
� Multi-language spell-checker and hyphenation
� Insert images in numerous formats (BMP, 2BP, TIFF, PCX, GIF, JPEG, TGA, PNG, PhotoCD, IFF, IMG, PBM, PPM, PGM)
� Insert drawings (lines, rectangles, circles etc.)
� Text, tables, images etc. can be placed in "frames" � the surrounding body text is automatically wrapped around them
� Integrated dBase compatible database (for mail-merging and address lookup)
� Documents can be encrypted and protected against reading/changing them

Other sites have written reviews on the beta, so give them a read for further details.

Remember, this deal only lasts 24 hours, so order it today!

Old 12-02-2002, 08:54 AM
T-Will
Sage

If I buy the Pocket PC version do I get the HPC version for free, or vice-versa? Or are each of these versions separate?

Old 12-02-2002, 04:17 PM
Venturello
Intellectual

I dont want to sound like a cheap person, but shame the price. Sure, looks great. Sure, does something that no other program does, but it sounds very expensive for me. Word is not what I would like it to be but its enough.

Even so, looks wonderful and I guess many professionals will appreciate it - brings the pocketpc more near to the laptop replacement it could be.

If it was 20$, maybe 30$, I would buy, as I've had with pocketinformant and many other great software out there.

Old 12-02-2002, 05:07 PM
SoftMaker
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtipmothee
If I buy the Pocket PC version do I get the HPC version for free, or vice-versa? Or are each of these versions separate?
TextMaker for Pocket PCs and TextMaker for Handheld PCs are separate pieces of software. We had one or two inquiries as to whether it is possible to order them together, so while this doesn't warrant giving the bundle a separate SKU, it is possible to order them together.

In the past few cases, we simply offered the additional software for a surcharge of $25.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Old 12-02-2002, 06:23 PM
mookie123
Thinker

Question:

1. does it support direct printing from PPC printing? (via 3rd party? future plug in?)
2. is there a manual somewhere that one can download to see the feature in more detail. (eg. list of greek characters and math symbols)
3. will there be a product FAQ page?
4. what will the purchase give in term of future upgrade? (knowing the price is a long term investment)
5.Is there product webforum/newsgroup?

thanks.

Old 12-02-2002, 06:25 PM
heyday
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to heyday Send a message via MSN to heyday Send a message via Yahoo to heyday

I'll wait fot the demo....

Old 12-02-2002, 06:25 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturello
I dont want to sound like a cheap person, but shame the price. Sure, looks great. Sure, does something that no other program does, but it sounds very expensive for me. Word is not what I would like it to be but its enough.
I think your last sentence says it right there. Consider that you're getting a full-desktop-featured word processor here for a fraction of what MS Word or other desktop equivalents cost, and then it doesn't look so bad.

It's definitely not for everyone, although I suspect a large portion of PPCThoughts readers would be interested in it. I certainly am, currently debating whether to buy a copy

--bdj

Old 12-02-2002, 06:44 PM
mookie123
Thinker

well at $45-50 I will definitely make sure first that the software has what I need and actually work as promised smoothly without glitch. at$30 I'll be less stringent and can handle a few flaky performance, but not at $45.

Old 12-02-2002, 07:36 PM
SoftMaker
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie123
Question:

1. does it support direct printing from PPC printing? (via 3rd party? future plug in?)
2. is there a manual somewhere that one can download to see the feature in more detail. (eg. list of greek characters and math symbols)
3. will there be a product FAQ page?
4. what will the purchase give in term of future upgrade? (knowing the price is a long term investment)
5.Is there product webforum/newsgroup?

thanks.
1. Currently, TextMaker does not support printing as printing is pretty much non-available on Pocket PCs. We are looking at ways to add printing and/or faxing to future versions of TextMaker (roll our own, FieldSoftware, Truefax etc.)

2. We are putting the finishing touches on our first version of the English-language manual right now. It will be a free download for all users.

3. An FAQ document is included in the install.

4. Generally, the way we handle updates is this: service packs (which fix bugs and add minor enhancements) are free for downloading, upgrades (which add significant features like shapes support, redlining, completely new import filters) are available for a fee.

5. We don't have a newsgroup right now but plan on setting up a forum. In the meantime, we monitor many of the major forums. Also, remember that e-mail support is free as long as a product is available.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Old 12-03-2002, 03:52 AM
mookie123
Thinker

ah,

thanks for the prompt answer.
I look forward to download the manual.

mk