Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 11-25-2002, 06:38 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Software-based Wireless: Nirvana at Last?

http://www.vanu.com/sdrpressrelease.html

This sounds almost too good to be true - an end to struggling over which wireless standard to choose, and instead you have a device that can adopt a new standard with a mere software patch? Vanu Inc. seems to think so.

I've spent some time reading their white papers, and it seems like the concept is this: devices would have a wireless receiver that listens on frequencies from 30 MHz to 2.5 GHz. Their software then sits atop that receiver, providing a virtual radio stack - as easy as installing a software patch, you'd have access to a new type of wireless data. Your company moves from 802.11b to 802.11g? No problem, install a software patch and your device is now 802.11g ready.

The implications of this are staggering - so much so that I have serious doubts this technology will ever come to light. On one hand, it would mean that all manner of devices would have access to wireless data in new ways, and that could potentially mean new revenue streams...but would it be enough to counter-act the revenue lost from the upgrade frenzy we're all stuck in due to our one-trick-pony wireless devices?

Vanu has several white papers up, one of them talks about a beta test they ran using an iPAQ. Below is a photo and some quotes from the white paper.

"The RF-to-digital block is implemented as a card that covers the frequency range from 30 MHz to 2.5 GHz, and has selectable bandwidths of 30 kHz, 200 kHz, and 1.25 MHz. It is designed to operate over the temperature region of �40 �C to +85 �C and has a maximum transmit power of 0.6 watts, while providing transmit power control capable of meeting IS-95 requirements. This card also contains the A/D and D/A converters as well as a digital control interface for setting parameters and measuring variables such as received signal strength.

The antenna block includes both the antenna as well as a portion of the RF card. The RF card contains several antenna ports. The active port can be selected through software to enable use of different antennas for different bands, or multiple can be activated for applications that exploit diversity. The digital control interface to the antenna block in Figure 1 is actually implemented as part of the RF card, which is why the dotted grey line that outlines the antenna block contains part of the RF card.

At the time of this writing, the iPAQ system is being tested, so a complete list of benchmarks is not yet available. Preliminary data indicates that the IS-136 forward voice channel receiver consumes 22% of the 200 MHz StrongARM processor. The receiver software measured includes equalization, synchronization, separation of timeslots, demodulation, decoding, vocoding and message processing."

They have a new press release that contains further background information.

Old 11-25-2002, 06:48 PM
sharmahw1
Pupil
Default Software-based Wireless

While there are issues of battery life and fcc approvals etc. take a look at the CNN report:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/interne....ap/index.html

Vanu Bose has big dreams, too: to create that new generation of radios -- that's really all that cell phones and garage-door openers are -- that can move between various functions with an icon click. The trick is to replace much of the circuitry found in radios with flexible software.

Bose began working at it in a military-sponsored communications project at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. After graduating in 1998, he started his own company, Vanu Inc., to further develop the technology.

Now Cambridge, Mass.-based Vanu Inc. has created an all-software base station -- which relays calls from wireless phones on cellular networks. Vanu also has built a prototype handheld computer that can make calls on different kinds of wireless networks and work as a walkie-talkie, baby monitor, FM radio -- "whatever you want," Bose said.

The big challenge is that the device is limited to 10 to 20 hours of battery life. Bose -- son of the stereo engineer who founded Bose Corp. -- believes that with more development and improvements in low-power microprocessors, the device could be the size of a cell phone and have a much longer battery life.

Old 11-25-2002, 06:54 PM
sharmahw1
Pupil
Default SOftare Defined Radio (SDR)

Did anyone go to this meeting or know someone who did... could perhaps shed some more light..

The future of software radio was on display at the 2002 Software Defined Radio (SDR) Technical Conference and Product Exposition last week in San Diego. For the first time, Vanu Inc. demonstrated an end-to-end wireless infrastructure system based on Vanu Software Radio� technology, a radical approach to SDR � aligning wireless devices with the Moore's Law curve for technology improvement and innovation.

I can imagine a Samsung Nexio with a keyboard, horizontal screen and a SDR that makes is all in one device....PDA, Cell Phone, walkie-talkie and .......
Re
Harsh

Old 11-25-2002, 06:56 PM
mookie123
Thinker

I just hope this company will get a quick killer apps, even a small one, instead of chasing global world domination pipe dream and dies on exhaustion after 6 months battling the giants. Greed and overblown ambition always kills these sort of out-fit.

Old 11-25-2002, 07:14 PM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker

Isn't this what happened to modems? (now all in firmware), sound cards? (ditto...well, not completely ditto.) and I/O functions?

This would be terrific. Cheaper, lower power draw, more flexible. Cool.

Old 11-25-2002, 07:16 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Rapson
Isn't this what happened to modems? (now all in firmware), sound cards? (ditto...well, not completely ditto.) and I/O functions?
Sort of - the WinModem had a grim fate though...it made systems quite sluggish when in use, but hopefully we have enough CPU muscle now that this would be minimized.

Old 11-25-2002, 07:16 PM
Gary Garland, Esq.
Ponderer
Default Re: Software-based Wireless: Nirvana at Last?

Astounding idea. Hmmm, at this point it uses 1/5 of the processing power of the ipaq strongarm - obviously they'll have to solve the power draw and resource draw of the stack - perhaps low cost ICs will accomplish both...geez, what will they think up next?

Old 11-25-2002, 07:17 PM
blade_of_narsil
Pupil
Default am I being picky?

I don't mean to be picky, but when you say 30 to 2.5, doesn't that exclude 802.11b that runs at 2.4. Hope I am wrong.

Old 11-25-2002, 07:49 PM
jschloer
Neophyte
Send a message via ICQ to jschloer
Default picky?

Not to be picky, but isn't 2.4 Ghz greater than 30 Mhz, but less than 2.5 Ghz?

Either way, this could be very very cool. Especially if it's easily customizable. I think it would do a lot for network security as well if you were able to pick a frequency not normally used, like 2.3 Ghz or something odd like that. Forgive me if there's some technical limitation which would prevent that, but I think this could make for some very interesting toys.

Old 11-25-2002, 08:21 PM
jmulder
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to jmulder
Default Re: am I being picky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.l.i.c.e.
I don't mean to be picky, but when you say 30 to 2.5, doesn't that exclude 802.11b that runs at 2.4. Hope I am wrong.
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say...that you hope it excludes 2.4GHz or that it includes 2.4GHz.

The point of the article is that the same hardware chip cuold be configured to communicate at any frequency from 30MHz to 2.5GHz, so the same chip could be configured to use 2.4GHz for cordless phones, 802.11b(a,g), and bluetooth, or the chip could be configured for use as a GSM phone (any band), or a CDMA phone, or a garage door opener.

Basically, one chip, one manufacturing line, different uses, probably lower prices, and certainly better upgrade paths (provided devices allow you to reconfigure the chips).

-Jim