Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 11-22-2002, 09:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Faster Smarter Digital Video now Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...39/jasondunn-20

The day has finally arrived - my digital video book is now shipping from Amazon.com. Hooray! Writing this book was one of the most challenging things I've ever done, but I think it turned out quite nicely. It's amazing how quickly things change though - back when I was writing the book, 2.53 Ghz CPUs were the fastest, and Intel was rumoured to be releasing a 2.8 Ghz by the time the book was shipping - so that's what I wrote. Instead, Intel released a 3.03 Ghz CPU with Hyperthreading! Oh well, at least my advice in the book is timeless. :lol:

So about this book...please buy it. Thinking about getting into digital video? Buy the book. Not sure what kind of DV camera to purchase? Buy the book. Know someone who just bought a DV camera? Buy them the book. Feel like archiving some old VHS tapes full of family memories? Buy the book. Want to encode video for the Pocket PC? Buy the book. Want to make your own DVD home movies? Buy the book. 8)

I don't normally have emotional attachments to products that I pimp through this site, but it would absolutely make my day to see this book break into the Top 100 on Amazon for at least a day, and it won't take that many sales to do so. Is Pocket PC Thoughts valuable to you? Have you ever considered making a donation but wanted something extra in return? Buy the book and we'll be square. :wink: My Canadian brethren can order directly from Amazon.ca, while you blokes on the other side of the pond can get it from Amazon.co.uk. Don't want to order it online? Contact your local book store and ask for it using the ISBN: 0735618739.

Thanks for your support in this!

UPDATE: I've just confirmed this with my sources: if you give this book to someone for a Christmas present, they actually won't put on that "Christmas Holiday 5 pounds"! It's true! That's gotta' be worth $13.99 US! :lol:

Old 11-22-2002, 09:46 PM
brntcrsp
Thinker

Hooray! Congrats, Jason! It's good to have you all to ourselves again, and and I'm sure Ashley likes the project being finished too...

In relation too the book, I'm excited really excited to check it out!

Old 11-22-2002, 09:48 PM
Trokair
Pupil

Congratulations on the publishing of your book, Jason! This will be the present I get my Dad for Christmas. :P

Update:
Jason Dunn wrote:
Quote:
May? Do or do not, there is no "may".

It makes a great present - really, it does!
"Do" it is then.
-Kyle

Old 11-22-2002, 09:50 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Umm I don't get it.... should I buy the book? :P .

I think you should add another one....

If you own a computer you should buy the book (i think it would cover all your bases!) Best of luck with it Jason!

Old 11-22-2002, 10:18 PM
Rolf
Neophyte
Default Video Book

Ok ... Ok .... bought 1

Old 11-22-2002, 10:22 PM
MPSmith
Thinker
Default Should I buy it?

There is one minor error in the Amazon.com book description. It says the book is in English. I thought you were Canadian? Don't you guys speak some different language up there, eh? (English translation: "eh?" can be replaced with "?")

Two more reasons to buy the book:

1. My kitchen table rattles, so I may need two or more books to even out the table legs.

2. Papers keep blowing off my desk and I can't find a good paper weight anywhere!

Whatever it takes, right? :wink:

Congrats on the book!

Old 11-22-2002, 10:35 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trokair
This may just be the present I get my Dad for Christmas. :P
May? Do or do not, there is no "may". :lol:

It makes a great present - really, it does! :wink:

Old 11-22-2002, 10:36 PM
Fish
Pupil
Default Hadn't even noticed the author

Being the guy at MS Press who'll be supporting this book, I sure hope it's good! Jason has spent enough time making my job harder by running this site. Tough to get a darn thing done with this sort of distraction. Now, of all things, he writes a book that I have to support! Man, this guy's got it out for me!

Old 11-22-2002, 10:36 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: Video Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf
Ok ... Ok .... bought 1
You're a good man Rolf.

Old 11-22-2002, 10:37 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: Should I buy it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSmith
Two more reasons to buy the book:

1. My kitchen table rattles, so I may need two or more books to even out the table legs.

2. Papers keep blowing off my desk and I can't find a good paper weight anywhere!
Yes, YES, that's the spirit! Woo hoo! :lol: :lol: