Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 11-21-2002, 05:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Bluetooth GPS Receiver

http://www.socketcom.com/product/GP0804-405.asp

Here is a bluetooth GPS receiver that doesn't require you to take up your expansion slot. "Now you can easily get around town while on a business trip or never get lost on that �family road-trip� using Socket's Bluetooth GPS Receiver. From your Bluetooth enabled mobile device, like a Pocket PC, laptop computer, or new Tablet PC, you can connect easily to the Socket GPS Receiver and know where you are using a variety of NMEA compliant software. Since this GPS product does not use your device�s CompactFlash or PC card slot, you still have expandability."

It is not yet available and there is no estimated price.

Old 11-21-2002, 05:08 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Seen a price of $449 thrown around a little expensive if you ask me.

Old 11-21-2002, 05:13 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

All right! Finally I can get a GPS to use with my WiFi e740 without taking up my expansion slots. All I have to do is remove my SD card, insert a BlueTooth SDIO card and...

oh.

Never mind.
:roll:

Old 11-21-2002, 05:14 PM
nobody
Ponderer

crazy price!

Old 11-21-2002, 05:16 PM
JvanEkris
Philosopher

Looks a lot like the EMTAC (http://www.emtac.com/products/blueto...dex.html#usage)

Jaap

Old 11-21-2002, 05:16 PM
24va
Intellectual

You can get the exact same unit at the palm store for $329.00USD, just toss the palm mapopolis software.
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1Cor 1:18 In hand:*Axim x50v; 2gb SD; 4gb CF;*LG 325 Contributing Editor - pocketnow.com

Old 11-21-2002, 05:28 PM
msprague
Thinker

This is the same as the EMTAC unit. We have one at work and it works great. I am using my Maestro with a Socket BT CF card and my boss is using his Maestro with the Tosh BT SD card. Very nice to be able to walk around with the GPS in your back pocket. BIG improvement in convenience over the Pretec CF GPS that we were previously using. You can keep it on the dashboard and no cords to fuss with. This is a perfect application for BT and it works great.

Old 11-21-2002, 05:41 PM
portus
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprague
This is the same as the EMTAC unit. We have one at work and it works great. I am using my Maestro with a Socket BT CF card and my boss is using his Maestro with the Tosh BT SD card. Very nice to be able to walk around with the GPS in your back pocket. BIG improvement in convenience over the Pretec CF GPS that we were previously using. You can keep it on the dashboard and no cords to fuss with. This is a perfect application for BT and it works great.
Except that you need to charge the BT GPS battery once in a while to keep in going. That's another thing to worry about aside from the battery life of your PDA.

Old 11-21-2002, 06:22 PM
Paul P
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Paul P

Is there a fee involved in using the GPS service? I know how GPS works, but not sure if the cost of the hardware is the only cost.

Thanks

Old 11-21-2002, 06:26 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul P
Is there a fee involved in using the GPS service? I know how GPS works, but not sure if the cost of the hardware is the only cost.

Thanks
Nope - free of charge thanks to the government. It is their satellite system.