Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 11-19-2002, 06:22 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Dell Axim Available for Canadians

http://www.dell.com/ca/en/dhs/products/series_pda_snp.htm

They're a day late, but Dell Canada is now offering the Axim X5. What I wonder about though is the $50 US rebate that Dell.com is offering - I can't seem to find it on the Dell Canada Web site. The 400 Mhz Axim X5 is selling for $549 CND (about $349 US), and the 300 Mhz model is $408 (about $264 US). Pretty good pricing, but the lack of the rebate is hurting here - I've send an email to Dell's Canadian PR firm to get a confirmation on this rebate issue.

Old 11-19-2002, 06:57 PM
szamot
Sage

According to my Dell Sales Rep you still get the $80 CDN off as a rebate - but like you said I want too want to see it on paper before I commit. -

Update yes it is $80 rebate but you have to mail it in.. which brings the price down to about $470 CDN which is what Toshiba e310 sells for these days in Canada. The deal is sweet. ViewSonic v35 sells for $479. Choices, choices, choices.

Old 11-19-2002, 07:02 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

I followed the link you supplied Jason, and added a 300Mhz model to my cart. Then went to checkout, and there is a tab at the top that says: Shopping Cart, and another that says: Detailed View. If you click the detailed view you'll see a line entry like the following:

Mail-In Rebate Promotion

$80 OFF Mail-in Rebate
RBTAXIM-[009-4060]

Looks like the rebate is there!

Old 11-19-2002, 07:10 PM
Grey
Pupil

Does the dell promo code that was posted here:

news:OGGaMr#jCHA.2668@tkmsftngp11

By any chance happen to work in Canada as well?

Here is the Dell Promo code to save 10% and they have a $50 dollar rebate going on also.

Enjoy......the code is 4CCDC74E69DA, place your order on the X5 and enter this code...save 10% !!! Free ground shipping also!!
Here is a link also http://www.billsavstore.com/html/bill_s_dell_store.htm
just click on any promo, then find their PDA SALES SECTION ON THE DELL SITE.

Old 11-19-2002, 07:16 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Aha! Good to know - thanks guys.

Makes you wonder though why they wouldn't have the info on the rebate front and center? People might add it to their cart more easily if it was $80 cheaper...

Old 11-19-2002, 07:19 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Jason, don't you have a partner link with Dell?? I noticed it with the US site, nothing for us Canucks?

Old 11-19-2002, 07:22 PM
szamot
Sage

That would be too obvious and too easy and large companies seldom are obvious and easy to understand, but then again I am a cynic or a realist depending on your point of view. I work for one of these mammoths � I see it everyday.

Old 11-19-2002, 07:43 PM
amoll
Neophyte

This morning I ordered an Axim X5 (400MHz version) by phone from Dell Canada. The total price I was quoted was $556 Canadian incl. GST. This made no sense to me as the dell.ca site quotes $549 (Axim) + $25 (shipping) + GST, which amounts to a total of $614. So I asked the Sales Rep to break it down. He told me the Axim was $520 excl. GST and the shipping was no-charge. With GST this comes to the aforementioned $556. In effect, I am paying $440 for the Axim after the $80 mail-in rebate. Perhaps Dell made a mistake to my benefit, and there is a current advantage to ordering by phone (until they become aware of the error).
BTW, I was told to expect 10-15 business days before I receive the device.

Old 11-19-2002, 08:57 PM
sweetpete
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoll
This morning I ordered an Axim X5 (400MHz version) by phone from Dell Canada. The total price I was quoted was $556 Canadian incl. GST. This made no sense to me as the dell.ca site quotes $549 (Axim) + $25 (shipping) + GST, which amounts to a total of $614. So I asked the Sales Rep to break it down. He told me the Axim was $520 excl. GST and the shipping was no-charge. With GST this comes to the aforementioned $556. In effect, I am paying $440 for the Axim after the $80 mail-in rebate. Perhaps Dell made a mistake to my benefit, and there is a current advantage to ordering by phone (until they become aware of the error).
BTW, I was told to expect 10-15 business days before I receive the device.
They probably only gave you a USB travel sync cable instead of the full cradle. That may be the reason for the $30 difference and I would verify that with them in case you really want a cradle. It seems phone sales is providing free shipping which is not available online.
One thing I noted in the other forum is there seems to be an error on the Canadian site and it is offering the 3-yr exchange warranty as a no cost option. This is normally a $150 option, so if you'd prefer to have that and don't mind being forced to have the cradle and pay for shipping (on the 400 mhz version you can't remove the cradle to save the $30, whereas you can with the 300 mhz and still have the warranty error) you're saving about $95.

Old 11-19-2002, 10:18 PM
enemy2k2
Theorist

Any Canadians get that 10% off that all the americans are talking about?