Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 11-15-2002, 07:35 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default iPAQ 5450 Reviewed on Pocket PC Passion

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/ipaq...5400/5400-1.htm

After reading Dale's review of the iPAQ 5450, I have to admit I felt the stirrings of tech-lust deep in my soul. 8O Yes, it's expensive. But in looking at some of the details that Dale talked about, it's very clear that there are many little "touches" that HP added to the 5450 to make it stand out from other Pocket PCs. Some of the ones that caught my interest: hardware audio control, bass control, audio input via external microphone, vibrating alarm, new UI for Bluetooth, and USB charging. For this price I still think 128 MB of RAM would have been nice, but this is a very compelling device for high-end power users.

"This beauty has Intel�s PXA250 (400MHz) processor and comes with 64MB RAM and 48MB ROM. It�s beautiful 64K color Transflective TFT screen is the brightest display available on any Pocket PC. The built-in SDIO card slot lets you add storage memory or the potential for I/O devices to the new iPAQ. There are a total of four integrated wireless features consisting of Bluetooth, 802.11 Wi-Fi, Infrared and Consumer Infrared functionality. Finally, they have added on a biometric thermal fingerprint reader for high level security. When you put in all these features within a form factor that still allows you to use all the existing iPAQ expansion pack jackets, you end up with the latest winner by HP for the business user that is bound to take the enterprise market in full stride."

Old 11-15-2002, 08:09 PM
van_mierlo
Ponderer

uppydogeyes:

My eyes are popping,

but so will my wallet

Great review dale

Old 11-15-2002, 08:13 PM
Paul P
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Paul P

Great, I have to make another auction.....................

Awesome device

Great review

Old 11-15-2002, 08:15 PM
xbalance
Ponderer
Default She's a beauty

When I see this product I think of the Tubes song She's A Beauty.

But don't fall in love

Old 11-15-2002, 08:16 PM
mtillett
Pupil

Bye Bye 3765

Hello 5450!!

I know whats on top of my christmas list!!

Old 11-15-2002, 08:23 PM
Merlion
Ponderer

eCost's price for the iPaq H5450 just went up from $646.12 (price since last week) to $690.31.

Old 11-15-2002, 08:31 PM
Chronos
Ponderer

I've been bitten WAY too many times by iPaqs in the past. I'll give them a few months to work out all the kinks, and with all the new hw and sw features and complexity I know there will be several. Also probably wait for X-scale optimizations too.

It is awesome looking and exciting- just the way I felt about my 3635 and 3835. I'll stick to the T-Mobile for now, and wait and see what HP does about QA.

Old 11-15-2002, 08:38 PM
Big Honkin' Deal
Pupil

Boy this machine looks great!! but I will stick with my 3970 for now.... I just ordered the new Compaq Tablet PC TC1000 and will play with that for a while.....

As soon as they ship it, in true Compaq fashion they keep slipping the shipping dates 8)

Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtillett
Bye Bye 3765

Hello 5450!!

I know whats on top of my christmas list!!

Old 11-15-2002, 08:48 PM
don dre
Intellectual
Default I guess Compaq isn't really dead

I don;t think I've ever seen a company miss shipping dates with such regularity. Still, I have a 3970 and am drooling. Still, 128megs RAM might have done it for me. I just have to wait for Toshiba's Wifi SD Card. I really like the finger print security. I might actually protect my data.

Old 11-15-2002, 08:51 PM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default Re: iPAQ 5450 Reviewed on Pocket PC Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Some of the ones that caught my interest: hardware audio control, bass control, audio input via external microphone, vibrating alarm, new UI for Bluetooth, and USB charging. For this price I still think 128 MB of RAM would have been nice, but this is a very compelling device for high-end power users.
I know I don't really have a real reason to complain about Pocket PC's, given that I haven't even ordered one (yet)...

But it's really struck me as odd that apparently up until now none of them had a volume dial. (I won't even get into the "only 6 software settings" issue...). I mean, this isn't difficult technology...it was on my first walkman.

I'm glad to see that *someone* is putting one in, even if it's not enough to justify the price of the unit to me, at least. Personally, I really do think that PDAs should move towards providing better mp3 support, like by incorporating the features you've listed. It's not all that big of a jump, really. I like techy gadgets, but I don't want to carry a ton of them. Just 1-3 really cool ones....

Do the mp3 player programs for Pocket PC remap the jog dial (if present) as a volume wheel? I would see that as being a good idea.