Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 11-18-2002, 08:30 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Ready to Buy a Dell Pocket PC?

If you're ready to order a Dell Pocket PC, I just so happen to be a Dell affiliate, and I'd sure appreciate your support. Click here to go to Dell's PDA page.My assumption is that Dell will be posting their Pocket PCs up on this page sometime today (though likely not until 8 AM EST or so). I'll post again when they are really there... :wink:

Old 11-18-2002, 08:32 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

They really are there already.

Well, not *THERE*, as the ship date is later than expected....

Really, I just want it HERE.

Old 11-18-2002, 08:49 AM
sweetpete
Intellectual

Looks good and everything seems to be up. Lots of accessories ready to ship with it (keyboard, case, WLAN and BT CF cards).

Ship date is a couple weeks away, but I have to say it's nice to see everything ready to go!

Old 11-18-2002, 08:52 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default They're HEEEEEEERRRRRRE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kati42
They really are there already.

Well, not *THERE*, as the ship date is later than expected....

Really, I just want it HERE.
The order page is up, you can customize the PDA (with accessories, basically), and you can add it to your shopping cart. The ship date was listed as 12/5 for the $299 version.

I didn't try ordering one, as I want the iPAQ 5450. :-)

Steve

Old 11-18-2002, 09:05 AM
jeasher
Intellectual

Jason, I thought you were taking time off?

Yeah they're up alright. I went and configured myself a model and found out something interesting: you can order a 300 mhz PDA with 48/64 MB of memory. Just go to the step-up model and then highlight the 300 mhz option (subtract $100). I wonder if it'll stay that way because the base model becomes a moot point (same processor minus the extra memory). How does a Bluetooth-enabled PDA sound for under $300 with the 48/64 MB package? Am I crazy here?

Also, am I the only one who thinks this machine is huge? I use a way outdated Handspring Visor Deluxe and I've looked forward to the day that my next PDA will be small and light like the tiny Palms. I'm going to switch to Pocket PC and I love the V35 but I don't know when I can get it. Isn't it ironic that my next PDA may actually be BIGGER and HEAVIER than my current PDA. Of course, it's 10x more powerful with a color screen...

Old 11-18-2002, 09:14 AM
Rirath
Pontificator

Quote:
you can order a 300 mhz PDA with 48/64 MB of memory. Just go to the step-up model and then highlight the 300 mhz option (subtract $100).
I think that's a mistake on the page. If you select the lower end dell, with the less rom/ram, that becomes selected as default. It's probably a mistake. It looks like it doesn't come with a cradle though... that's an extra $20! :? As for size, we've been over this for weeks now. Some, including myself, are willing to trade size for specs.

Old 11-18-2002, 09:30 AM
jeasher
Intellectual

Quote:
As for size, we've been over this for weeks now. Some, including myself, are willing to trade size for specs.
I missed some of that debate. I carry my PDA in my suit pocket and I'm not sure if I can handle any additional size. I may give it a try though. I checked Dell's return policy and it's 30 days money-back guarantee. But it also says Software & Peripherals have a different policy. We'll see.

Old 11-18-2002, 10:26 AM
jizmo
Thinker

Jeasher,

The debate was (among other things) about Dell having the best feature / price -ratio, but it's not the most visually attractive device out there.

I myself am puzzled at the moment whether I should go for the power and features offered by Dell, or the prettier and less powerfull newcomers, Viewsonic and the low-end iPAQ.

I spend money on clothes, that look good and I feel that the accessories are also a part of how you look. Dell just doesn't seem that good looking when jugded to other new PPC devices, but this is only judging by the pictures. I know this is vain, but that's just the way it is with people.

Guess I have to get my hands on new Dell before I can really tell whether I like it or not. As mentioned earlier on the forums, there's a lot of inexplicable mysticism involved in buying a PDA and many times it just really boils down to how the device feels like in one's palm. By then you can just tell if you like the device or not.

/jizmo

Old 11-18-2002, 11:14 AM
binoj
Neophyte
Default Standard accessories with Axim 400 Mhz?

Is the Axim 400 mhz model shiping with an USB cradle? When I added Axim400 to the cart and went to the detailed view, it showed that the PDA, an USB sync cable a and 1 yr warranty included in the cart..

I thought the axim 400 shipped with the cradle as standard accessory

binoj

Old 11-18-2002, 11:21 AM
Rirath
Pontificator

Hard to say, but I'd say no it's not included. $20 ain't so bad. I'm waiting til 8am to call up Dell and ask some questions before ordering. I don't think there's anything magical about 8am really, but it's the number that's been thrown around a lot. As for specs vs vanity, I'm a specs kinda guy. I still think the Dell looks great anyhow.

I think I may just skip the cradle if that's the case and get a 64 or 128 meg SD card instead. Having 128 CF, 128 SD, and 64 megs ram all in one machine would be wonderful. That's a lot of MP3 and MPEG files. :wink: